The people are powerless, aren't they ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

The people are powerless, aren't they ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Winston Churchill's Quote on Democracy :

"Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time."

We're screwed, aren't we ?

The ruling elite - multinationals, oil companies, industry, politicians, financiers - have got it sewn up and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

The Icelandic PM resigned after protests in the street about this offshore tax haven business, but Cameron won't - he knows he's safe if he just sits tight and rides the storm.

It's wrong.
It's wrong that so much tax avoidance is going on while the average family struggles to make ends meet.

It's absolutely brilliant, politically, but it's despicable to anyone with a heart and half a mind ..

But what can we do ?

The media are complicit, certainly the BBC.

I'm sick of it.
It just leaves me numb ..

And we come in here, moaning about our club.
And we watch trashy TV, consumed by soaps.
And we read headlines about celebrities.
And we obsess over cookery competitions and dance-offs.
And we think we've got a bargain with a BOGOF at Tesco.

It's all BS.
It's all a lie.

It's all smoke, mirrors and distraction.

We're on a one-way ticket to hell with this post-capitalist regime that rules the world.
Oh good, petrol's gone down !
Let's buy a new car.
Oh no : it's gone up again ..

I'm sick of it but what can you do ? :(
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The people are powerless, aren't they ?

Post by Another Northern Soul »

It is exactly how I feel about our football club.

I try to compartmentalise matters in my life. So the microcosm of my own life is divided into a few aspects such as Personal, Career, Friends, Family, LUFC, local issues, UK issues, world issues, etc etc.

It helps and even though this post will not enlighten or help anyone in the slightest I'm afraid (and sorry!) it works for me - there are only certain things an individual can change and then there are other areas which you can realistically only affect when part of a group or campaign or movement.

Ultimately for me, every issue simply boils down to individuals' greed and lust for power/influence/wealth and while it does then there is hope within that convinces me that often the people are not powerless. I'm very interested at the moment, for instance, to see how Cameron will worm out of the Panama scandal involving his father and his own personal 'tax avoidance'.

i never really studied politics so forgive me if I'm talking out of my arris, but Democracy is the only solution to me, simply because it seems to be the simplest way of avoiding corruption or megalomania in the leaders which is always the downfall of other political ideals.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

One of the advantages of being 80 and retired is that I don't give a toss about any of it. :D Though Rigger misses one element from his 'ruling elite'. The missing element is the 'left wing liberal elite' who have almost total control of public bodies: NHS Trusts, Local Authorities. Quango's, etc.,etc., The 'old school tie' has been replaced by the 'network of the liberal elite' who move about from job to job (even if they have been sacked for incompetence - read Private Eye). Many of them also have their salaries paid to a 'service company' so that they don't pay the rate of tax that you and I pay.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

rigger wrote:Winston Churchill's Quote on Democracy :

"Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time."

We're screwed, aren't we ?

The ruling elite - multinationals, oil companies, industry, politicians, financiers - have got it sewn up and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

The Icelandic PM resigned after protests in the street about this offshore tax haven business, but Cameron won't - he knows he's safe if he just sits tight and rides the storm.

It's wrong.
It's wrong that so much tax avoidance is going on while the average family struggles to make ends meet.

It's absolutely brilliant, politically, but it's despicable to anyone with a heart and half a mind ..

But what can we do ?

The media are complicit, certainly the BBC.

I'm sick of it.
It just leaves me numb ..

And we come in here, moaning about our club.
And we watch trashy TV, consumed by soaps.
And we read headlines about celebrities.
And we obsess over cookery competitions and dance-offs.
And we think we've got a bargain with a BOGOF at Tesco.

It's all BS.
It's all a lie.

It's all smoke, mirrors and distraction.

We're on a one-way ticket to hell with this post-capitalist regime that rules the world.
Oh good, petrol's gone down !
Let's buy a new car.
Oh no : it's gone up again ..

I'm sick of it but what can you do ? :(
Hey rigger you are not alone in seeing all of this and how it is and I know exactly where you are coming from!
Deleted User 728

Thousands on the streets of London right now, apparently going to Downing Street to demand Cameron's resignation.

Not that you'll see anything on the news, of course ..
Deleted User 2747

johnh wrote:One of the advantages of being 80 and retired is that I don't give a toss about any of it. :D Though Rigger misses one element from his 'ruling elite'. The missing element is the 'left wing liberal elite' who have almost total control of public bodies: NHS Trusts, Local Authorities. Quango's, etc.,etc., The 'old school tie' has been replaced by the 'network of the liberal elite' who move about from job to job (even if they have been sacked for incompetence - read Private Eye). Many of them also have their salaries paid to a 'service company' so that they don't pay the rate of tax that you and I pay.
I agree that there are wealthy and powerful elite of all persuasions who bestow one rule on all of us whilst following their own self-serving rules. I am sceptical that the public bodies as you describe are contolled by 'leftist elites' - maybe 20 years ago, but I not so much these days. Though it would be another explantion as to why this government and the right wish to sell everything to their own right wing business friends and disenfranchise all of us folk that do all of the work and pay all of the taxes!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Frankie, it is far more entrenched now than 20 years ago.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

johnh wrote:Frankie, it is far more entrenched now than 20 years ago.

There really isn't any difference between 'left' and 'right' in these situations in my book; as soon as people start seeking to serve themselves at the expense of others and the greater good of all, when in areas of power, then they are all the same!

Where are the truly magnanimous, humile and faithful to the common cause of the people - where have they all gone!
Deleted User 2747

rigger wrote:Thousands on the streets of London right now, apparently going to Downing Street to demand Cameron's resignation.

Not that you'll see anything on the news, of course ..

Found this on ITV news on line, but didn't see it on the BBC or the Grauniad!

From the Daily Mail

Check out the hilarious banner made out of a cardboard box!!! :clap: :lolno:

Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 09 Apr 2016, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 728

You know it's a Father Ted reference, right ??

"Careful now" being the other one :D