2016/17 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: 2016/17 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by lufctrav »

How does leaving the EU affect foreign players in English football? I'm thinking that Silvestri, Bellusci, Sloth etc will likely be ineligible for a work permit in the UK now?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

lufctrav wrote:How does leaving the EU affect foreign players in English football? I'm thinking that Silvestri, Bellusci, Sloth etc will likely be ineligible for a work permit in the UK now?
What, just like that? There'll be a lot of 'illegal workers' in football all of a sudden then.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
lufctrav wrote:How does leaving the EU affect foreign players in English football? I'm thinking that Silvestri, Bellusci, Sloth etc will likely be ineligible for a work permit in the UK now?
What, just like that? There'll be a lot of 'illegal workers' in football all of a sudden then.
Same rules as players from rest of the world that are in English football (like Wood and Beradi) I suspect.
Take at least 2 or 3 years before we are out anyway when those you mention are likely to be long gone.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
If Leeds hadn't voted 'remain' I could easily have been persuaded BREXIT was a cunning strategy to move Bellusci on.

Proud to be from Leeds as ever by the way. Bring on the new John Lewis :D
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

What position does he play? :D
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Given that it will be at least two years before actual Brexit, I rather doubt it will be an issue. And in any case there are rules about non-EU players having to be regular internationals for their country, ie special rules apply to sport.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

You have to play a certain number of games for your country to get a work permit. Players like Martial, Payet, Kante, Mahrez, De Gea wouldn't be accepted under today's ruling and no more u18s could be bought like Fabregas, Januzaj etc.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

I didn't really phrase my question well but it seems it was understood lol.
As a result of all this, i imagine the value of British players has just increased, meaning that it is as important as ever to hold on to the likes of Cook, Mowatt, Taylor etc
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

None what so ever. In 2 years the rest of world rules of engagement will apply. Biggest change will therefore be felt in academies where European kids may not be poached @ 12... Possibly a good thing for the national team and indeed kids welfare. That said cant really understand how rudy Austin couldn't get a work permit given his earning (£500k plus pa) - I suspect the FA imposed criteria prevented his move to another UK club