Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
CorkWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by CorkWhite »

I've always loved the game of snooker ever since I was a kid and although I can't get to see the game here on TV, I do watch a few games every so often on YT. Who remembers the funny names for the players back in the 80's and early nineties or what about the Chaz and Dave song Snooker Loopy? The players back then were no less intense but they were somewhat more open to having a bit more fun with each other.

Alex Higgins and Jimmy White were my two favorite players because of their fast playing styles and Alex Higgins for his off the cuff and sometimes blatant madness on and off the table, but he was a genius at the game and possibly the first player to make the game as popular as it is.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

One of my favourite sports too Corky, we go to the crucible every year for the snooker, obviously cancelled this year, it’s a cracking day out.

Another excellent semi between Ronnie and Selby last night.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

My Dad played snooker a lot as I grew up and often went to watch but was seen as a "Working Mens Club" sport which as I got to my late teens was seen a older persons place so I got into playing more Pool in the pubs.
Played for a good few years and was fairly decent locally, won a few more than I lost and enjoyed the crack with the teams.

In hindsight wish I'd given snooker a go I'm sure I would have really enjoyed playing in the local league.

In those days the top pro's gave exhibitions in the Clubs and I did get to see a few of them including 3 world champions (Ray Reardon, John Spencer & Alex Higgins) when the visited Selby.

Mrs SW enjoys watching and we are planning to go next time they have the tournament in York (UK Championship).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote: Mrs SW enjoys watching and we are planning to go next time they have the tournament in York (UK Championship).
Been to the Barbican a couple of times, the beauty of that place is you can see both tables. You also get to have a day out in the finest city in the UK :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:You also get to have a day out in the finest city in the UK :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D very good
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:You also get to have a day out in the finest city in the UK :thumbup:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D very good
Oh yes not that we need an excuse :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Love York, just something about strolling around it. TBH I read the post wrong I saw Barbican and associated it with London ... read it as joking about London being the finest :)
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:Love York, just something about strolling around it. TBH I read the post wrong I saw Barbican and associated it with London ... read it as joking about London being the finest :)
:lol: :lol:

Not the first to mix that one up I bet.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Could be a short last session following this afternoons scores.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Could be a short last session following this afternoons scores.
Thought Kyren let himself down today, not as if he didn’t have chances, got to take them against Ronnie.