Disastrous

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
white hackle
Terry Venables's car dealer

Disastrous

Post by white hackle »

This is disastrous. No matter what our expectations were at the beginning of the season. To get to a position where the play offs looked likely, and to fluff it will be calamitous.

As the season progressed aims and expectations rose. I thought we'd make it to the plays offs, and win the lottery of promotion.

Still a possibility, but not a probability.

No happy.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Disastrous

Post by judy »

I don't think making the play-offs is still a possibility. I can't see the team managing another win. They have been poor for weeks now - apart from the odd good game such as Preston and Brighton. I was really looking forward to next week at ER but I think the atmosphere will be muted now - especially if we are losing, the feeling of misery will be compounded. The squad will still get a good reception at the end of the game for their efforts this season (especially during the first half).

It all went pear-shaped after January when, once again, we had owners who wouldn't invest. I hope they enjoy giving the season ticket holders their promised refunds! Why can't we get owners who realise you have to build on what you have - like Sheffield Weds and even Huddersfield have done to a certain extent? Our striking options were so short in January but our owners did nothing and let all the best available strikers go to other championship clubs (Sheff Weds signed TWO for heavens sake) and then, on the last day of the window, gave the fans 2 consolation LOAN signings. I really hope Cellino sells up (if rumours are correct he was the one who wouldn't allow investment in January) and Radrizzani proves to be a far better owner. It has been far too many years now that this club's fans have suffered disappointment.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

I think we have had a good season, so would hardly think it disastrous! To expect us to go from a team that is looking down and hoping to avoid relegation and end up mid table to one that succeeds in the play-offs at first attempt under a strict financial budget that limits the type of players we get and how much they are paid is, to be frank, a bit much to expect.

We have a squad that can hold their own and have given us some great performances, but they've short comings and lack some strength in depth. Ending up in the play-offs would have been a good end to the season, but 7th isn't all doom and gloom. Unfortunately we have had a double dip wobble when it looked like we were going to end on a strong run. We should be proud of what has happened this season, as it's so different to recent seasons. People are now talking about "when" we get promoted, not so long ago that was only done by the starry eyed fan when we managed to put a mini run of not losing a few games.

To be its looking at whether we strengthen our squad so that we look like we are challenging for the automatic spots, or whether our owners are content with where we are.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

absolutely true we didn't invest. But we must also question why players like Murphy were let go (who apparently has been great at Burton) and we got in O'kane and then didn't play him. Others like Antonnson and Dallas must be wondering why they haven't got a run i recent weeks. Not just players we need to look at system that we play as well.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

I'm not sure signing a striker would've changed anything, we were still going to play one up top and Wood would've been first choice. We were too cautious and happy to stick with what we had. Obviously the defence was poor for the first month, but up until January when we looked comfortable, we should've start experimenting with 4-3-3, 5-3-2 so we had other options. Whether it's been something behind the scenes, laziness, or just the players are jaded, it's been woeful the past few weeks. A lot of players haven't got a look in recently. I'd have thought Monk would have realised what we were lacking, since we all did, but then we don't have our coaching badges so what do we know. It's very disappointing to throw away all the season's hard work and from what was a good season, just feels awful now. We just didn't have a go, the fewest shots on target in the league should've been a warning sign to Monk, what are the players frightened of exactly? That's what's been our undoing, not January. To say we had 3 cup finals coming up and then stick with a 4-2-3-1 suggests Monk didn't know how to change it. Obviously he's still young and inexperienced, but all the fans could see that we had to go for it.
HTFC

Post by HTFC »

Haha what a laugh I've had today! I had a listen to the Leeds United Play Off song, maybe you should all try it, it might cheer you up. Its a cheerful little number :D
white hackle
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by white hackle »

Nic wrote:I think we have had a good season, so would hardly think it disastrous!
It depends on the definition of a "good season." At the outset, mid table might have been respectable and acceptable. However, as the season progressed and we progressed, the definition of "good season" changed. Mid table was behind us. Only one definition of good season once we were in the top six, would have been the play offs.

Bitterly disappointed at this point.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Ask yourselves one question. Did you expect the possibility of a possible promotion? The boys were fantastic, and that for that, I'm grateful. Despite falling short, being poor in a lot of matches, I've not felt so optimistic in a long time.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

DominanceUK wrote:Ask yourselves one question. Did you expect the possibility of a possible promotion? The boys were fantastic, and that for that, I'm grateful. Despite falling short, being poor in a lot of matches, I've not felt so optimistic in a long time.
After Derby, yeah I did.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

If we don't finish in the playoff's then of course fans will feel disappointed, but this season has been a very good season overall. We have a very young squad and in many of the players we have the bones of a good side. Next year should be our year. This is a learning curve for all involved. Owners, management and players alike. Some will be moved on and others will develop and be molded by a good manager that we have in GM and new players will be brought in to bring us into a better position.

Definitely not a disaster to me.