NEXT MANAGER?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: NEXT MANAGER?

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: On the positive side of things no's the championship well and is prone to straggling opposing players on the touchline if crossed. :D
Wrong on so many levels, VHTM. I Know you take a rebellious attitude towards the English language but that is a red card offence.
Austin91
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Austin91 »

Clarke One Nil wrote:I think we should commit to either stability or daring change.

If we are going for stability, then I would be delighted with Pep Clotet. He knows the setup, the players, the plan so far for this group.

There would be a minimum of settling in time needed, and less stress for the existing players as they already know where they stand with him.

If we are going for change, then I would be delighted with Ranieri. He is by far the most recently successful top level manager of any of the options being considered.

Also, to paraphrase what Pontus said last season, as I can’t remember the exact quote, football is about show business as well as business.

With Ranieri as manager, we would have the football world following our fortunes next season, and probably attract players who wouldn’t consider us otherwise.
I agree 100%. Although I respect karankas championship record (who it currently seems likely to be) the bora fans I know have said its the most boring seasons to watch they've had in decades under him. Even with a promotion...

+ His tactics didn't work in the prem anyway so why would you look short term?

I know raneiri is unproven in the championship and inherited a great team, but I also think we are set up to play the quick break football that worked so well for Leicester, and I know I'd much rather be watching an end to end game from the stands than a defensive 1-0,
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by saintjimmy »

Austin91 wrote:
Clarke One Nil wrote:I think we should commit to either stability or daring change.

If we are going for stability, then I would be delighted with Pep Clotet. He knows the setup, the players, the plan so far for this group.

There would be a minimum of settling in time needed, and less stress for the existing players as they already know where they stand with him.

If we are going for change, then I would be delighted with Ranieri. He is by far the most recently successful top level manager of any of the options being considered.

Also, to paraphrase what Pontus said last season, as I can’t remember the exact quote, football is about show business as well as business.

With Ranieri as manager, we would have the football world following our fortunes next season, and probably attract players who wouldn’t consider us otherwise.
I agree 100%. Although I respect karankas championship record (who it currently seems likely to be) the bora fans I know have said its the most boring seasons to watch they've had in decades under him. Even with a promotion...

+ His tactics didn't work in the prem anyway so why would you look short term?

I know raneiri is unproven in the championship and inherited a great team, but I also think we are set up to play the quick break football that worked so well for Leicester, and I know I'd much rather be watching an end to end game from the stands than a defensive 1-0,
I wouldn't want Karanka some of the stuff served up last year was hard on the eyes ( sometimes through necessity granted ) so if the Boro' faithful were bored then I'm sure we would be too , as for The Tinkerman ' I wonder if the championship would be rather unforgiving for him and dare I say as big a name as he is its maybe 5 or so years too late for us.

And with regards to Pep I just wonder if he would have scope to change things around or be strict to the same set up as Monk was , and I can't see him being trusted with funds so would he be happy with someone else doing the recruiting ( which may apply to anyone who wants the job tbf ) I do think you have to know this division or it will spit you out and I'm just a little concerned that our new suits may underestimate it if not careful.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Can't see us getting better than Ranieri unless we do a successful gamble on a young up and coming manager.
Play it safe and go for experience, Ranieri will do for me.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Brassneck
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Brassneck »

Ranieri will need an assistant who really knows the division. I'd take him with Pep and Beattie as his assistants!
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Brassneck wrote:Ranieri will need an assistant who really knows the division. I'd take him with Pep and Beattie as his assistants!
Sounds good to me!
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

Monk has since been linked to the vacant jobs at Crystal Palace, Middlesbrough, Hull City and Sunderland after releasing a statement confirming his Elland Road exit. It is believed coaches Pep Clotet, James Beattie and Darryl Flahavan have left the club as well.
But Leeds supporters— who'd championed a social media campaign calling for the ex-Swansea stalwart to stay — have now turned on the 38-year-old boss.
All backroom staff have resigned along with Monk
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Ranieri would be a mistake, as would Zola, Pardew and Pearson (he seems to rub owners up the wrong way).

Clotet was a number 2 for a reason...........some people are just better out of the spotlight and he seems better at finding players.

We need someone that knows this division and what it takes to get out of it, the style of football is secondary. Newcastle and Brighton were far from the most attractive teams last season, the same can be said for Reading and Wendies...........yet 2 of those won promotion and possibly a 3rd.

I would be delighted with Karanka, who for me is a step up from Monk. They play a similar system.

He may well have learnt from his season in the prem as well.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Big big call for Rad .... best 2 in the division last year Jankovic and Wagner? Go get one of them. Failing that Simon Grayson. I know he's retired but he is north west based.... might be worth a phone call?
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Ideally want an attack minded manager, as we haven't had one since Grayson.

Grayson - got us 7th without spending a penny and loss of our top scorer. Scored for fun, with a stronger defence and backed in transfer market, should do better this time around.
Oscar Garcia - knows the league, won two titles in a row in Austria. Might want a new challenge, seems easy over there, however will have other suitors.
Quique Flores - ex Watford, attacking football, but at Espanyol and unlikely to leave.
Frank De Boer - out of work, respected name, will attract signings, youth development, probably unlikely but would be bold. Would need an assistant with Champ experience.

If not, Karanka would be good as we have the set up and he has an excellent record in the Championship. Jose's bff, so perhaps scum will give us a decent loanee.