Disappointed with some of our fans' attitude ..

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Disappointed with some of our fans' attitude ..

Post by Davycc »

kk_white wrote:In case there's confusion, I mentioned earlier that it's a Leeds flag with our branch name written on it, same as dozens of others around the stadium. I put 'Galway/Ireland' in my first post because we have forum members from all over the world, some of whom I imagine don't know what/where Galway is.
Got that KK mate, I was trying to say even if it was a tricolour with Galway Leeds on it rather than a Leeds flag, it shouldn't be an issue.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Davycc wrote:
kk_white wrote:In case there's confusion, I mentioned earlier that it's a Leeds flag with our branch name written on it, same as dozens of others around the stadium. I put 'Galway/Ireland' in my first post because we have forum members from all over the world, some of whom I imagine don't know what/where Galway is.
Got that KK mate, I was trying to say even if it was a tricolour with Galway Leeds on it rather than a Leeds flag, it shouldn't be an issue.
Bringing a flag into the stadium is not a problem, it's bringing the lamppost as well that causes issues :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Bringing a flag into the stadium is not a problem, it's bringing the lamppost as well that causes issues :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Davycc wrote:
Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:
Davycc wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And we're back... :lol: :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

Unfortunately it's the minority that spoil it for everybody.
Millwall fans may dislike us as we do them but for most it's only about football. The Turkish flags and Galatasaray shirts aren't there in representation of all in attendance, they're there because a little man wants to be seen as a big man and be centre of attention. Would he have the stones to stand in the middle of Leeds and do the same thing? I highly doubt it. I guarentee that most Millwall supporters will shake their heads at such a thing, as would any other supporters.

I don't know what it is about football but it's disappointing that it's unable to bring people together like sport should. There shouldn't be any issues with sitting two sets of supporters amongst each other, it's one of my favourite things about going to the AFL here. For 4 quarters we throw a bit of banter back and forth in between beers and at full-time we congratulate the winner and move on to the pub where the banter resumes. Of course there is a trouble maker now and again but more often than not they are shamed by not only the opposition supporters but also their own. Maybe when it comes to football there is something of an acceptance of this kind of behavior? Like it's part and parcel of the game? I don't know but what i do know is that a couple of years ago when i was over and we played Bradford in the cup, i was pretty disappointed that i was very much unable to go with some friends I'd made who supported Bradford because it'd only cause trouble.
Last edited by lufctrav on 22 Sep 2017, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.
lufctrav

Post by lufctrav »

And on the subject of Emma Jones - big fan!
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

lufctrav wrote:... the AFL here. For 4 quarters we throw a bit of banter back and forth in between beers and at full-time we congratulate the winner and move on to the pub where the banter resumes. ...
Same as our Gaelic Games in Ireland (Hurling and Football). 82,000 fans unsegregated at the final. Great days out.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Again as above exactly the same at cricket. Fans sit next to each other plenty of banter & beers but no sign of any trouble.
Winner of the Europa League
Karolkarol
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Karolkarol »

There's a level of idiocy in every football support. It's up to the fans themselves to self police, if unsavoury chants start then drown them out. It's never going to be perfect, once the drink's in the wit's out but with proper self policing they'll start go get the message.

Being a Northern Ireland fan and having travelled hither and thither with them for donkeys years I've seen a fair sea change in the mentality of our support, from the dark days of sectarian nonsense to a proper raucous football atmosphere (see Youtube vids of Paris in the Euros) with politics generally left at the door. Obviously we've got our knuckledraggers who try to start a bit of sectarian nonsense occasionally when they've had a skinful but they're quickly drowned out by the GAWA.

Living in Scotland I don't get down to ER as much anymore but I've always thought, as a support, Leeds fans always sang from the same hymnsheet no matter how dire things were on the pitch.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Really good to see this topic, nice one Rigger and everybody. The relationship between an individual/small group, and a much larger group is always interesting, and I think football fans often blur the lines between what we should be collectively defending, and what is unacceptable. The sexism, racism, homophobia etc obviously shouldn't be defended just because we're all Leeds, but I think often it does, because we have such a strong fan collective identity that fans protect each other.

To some extent football is a microcosm of British society, so there's only a minimal amount that can be done unless sexism and racism become unacceptable in our whole society, however it's also something that brings together millions of people, often men, so it's a great opportunity to lead that change. The clubs themselves can do a lot to mitigate this sort of stuff. Having a women's team (nice work with that Massimo...), promoting the Stonewall relationship etc are big steps that show the fans that this is not acceptable.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’