Favourite season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Favourite season

Post by Selby White »

Favourite Season - 71/72.

Always loved the FA Cup and been a 14 year old at Wembley will stay with me for ever.

Wasn't only that its the season we played ultimate football. Of course the amazing 7-0 destruction of Southampton is often talked about but plenty of other great performances, beat Man Utd 5-1, Forest 6-1 Arsenal 3-0 (by half time then turn the heat off) stick out.
Will add we were clearly the best side in it and Derby only won the league because of Football League decisions, we played first four home matches on neutral grounds then at the end had to play Wolves 2 days after the cup final, scandalous springs to mind.

Loved the semi at Hillsboro crushing Brum 3-0 and at the time Peter Lorimer was my hero and I swear its his best ever game in a Leeds shirt, awesome that day.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

89/90 for me... 20 years' old and Leeds becoming a force again. Strachan & Batty my all-time favourite players... would have loved to see what Strachan or Wilko for that matter could have done with this squad. Wonder if the 3 they interviewed is a bit like the 10,000 they consulted with on the badge... Back on topic, never forget Mel Sterland's rocket at Brammal Lane in 2-2- draw. Hoping for similar on Saturday, but this time, a Leeds win!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:Favourite Season - 71/72.

Always loved the FA Cup and been a 14 year old at Wembley will stay with me for ever.

Wasn't only that its the season we played ultimate football. Of course the amazing 7-0 destruction of Southampton is often talked about but plenty of other great performances, beat Man Utd 5-1, Forest 6-1 Arsenal 3-0 (by half time then turn the heat off) stick out.
Will add we were clearly the best side in it and Derby only won the league because of Football League decisions, we played first four home matches on neutral grounds then at the end had to play Wolves 2 days after the cup final, scandalous springs to mind.

Loved the semi at Hillsboro crushing Brum 3-0 and at the time Peter Lorimer was my hero and I swear its his best ever game in a Leeds shirt, awesome that day.
Great choice of season Mate. Yes our first 4 home games we played Wolves at Huddersfield, Spurs at Hull, Newcastle at Hillsborough & Palace at Huddersfield. I remember going Manchester City first game of the season & Lash getting the winner. The Manchester United win caused mayhem in my home town as it was pretty much split in those days with us & Scum, saying that it was an outstanding performance I'd say more so than the demolition of Southampton. Yes the cup final was a brilliant day out & anyone that was there that day still says it's their high point as a Leeds fan just as 48 hours later at Molineux that was such a low point.
Another game I remember well was beating Liverpool 2-0 in the FA Cup at ER in front of over 45000 fans, I never believed the gates we had I reckon there was probably another 10000 more in that day than the Offical record states.
As SW says we were the best team in the league but weren't helped by those at Lancaster Gate, they've continued to obstruct us ever since.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The fantastic OzWhites take on the Wolves game.

Leeds United: Harvey; Reaney, Madeley; Bremner, Charlton, Hunter; Lorimer, Clarke (Yorath), Bates, Giles, Gray.
Referee: W.J. Gow (Swansea).

With the FA Cup already in the bag, half of Yorkshire seemed to follow United from Wembley to Molineux for another historic night as Leeds went in search of the coveted League and Cup double. They needed at least a draw, in this their final match for the season, to lift the trophy.

United were without Mick Jones, who had dislocated his shoulder in the Cup Final and Mick Bates was drafted in with Billy Bremner playing the attacking role upfront with Allan Clarke, with Bates back in midfield. While Eddie Gray, Johnny Giles and Allan Clarke were far from fit they were risked in a match of such importance.

It was Wolves with little but pride to play for, sitting comfortably in high mid-table with no relegation problems or European aspirations, who seized the initiative three minutes before the interval. After Leeds had failed to clear a corner, Francis Munro found himself with time and space to crack an angled drive past David Harvey.

United searched desperately for the equaliser, but the home side increased their lead when John Richards’ pass opened up the heart of the United defence for striker Derek Dougan to run through and finish superbly. Within minutes United’s ‘double’ hopes had been rekindled when Billy Bremner scurried on to Paul Madeley’s long pass to thump the ball in from close range.

A goal down United found time slipping away when Welsh international Terry Yorath, substitute for the injured Allan Clarke, flicked the ball over the head of the Wolves goalkeeper Phil Parkes, only to see defender Gerry Taylor emerge from nowhere and head off the line. Leeds had also previously claimed that Parkes had brought down Allan Clarke and that full-back Bernard Shaw had handled shots from both Allan Clarke and Peter Lorimer in the box, but the referee had ignored their pleas.

The frantic pace continued. And, even though United came desperately close to snatching the crucial equaliser, Wolves clung on to prevent Leeds from gaining their final glory. United had given everything they had, but on the night, they caught keeper Phil Parkes in exceptional form and the Wolves played far above themselves.

On the same night another of the title challengers, Liverpool, failed to beat Arsenal at Highbury, leaving Derby County, whose players were already on holiday, champions for the first time in their history.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Fancy the ref Mr Gow coming from Swansea :D
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Selby White wrote:Favourite Season - 71/72.

Yes great season - I always think if we had won the league in 70/71 (WBA game was crucial) the 71/72 season could have been our best chance of winning the European Cup
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Some great memories on this thread. The 69-70 to 73-74 seasons were when we played our best football. The sad thing is we never won as much as we deserved.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

ilkley62 wrote:Brilliant NW

How about 91-92, never forget the away wins at Villa & Sheff Weds, Shame Man U couldnt last the pace :D
My stand out game that season was our 4-2 win at Notts County goals coming from Hodge, Whyte, Chapman and McCallister. Aston Villa away was another memorable game when we came away with a nice 4-1 win. Happy days ;)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I remember back in 1992 staying with a mate, a big Spurs fan & on the Friday we went to his local in Cricklewood, The Three Horseshoes I think it was called & he told everybody I was a Leeds & they the locals all extracting the Micheal out of me all night. After the game the next day at WHL & a 3-1 win I couldn't wait to get back into the pub. In all fairness they were alright about it, had no choice did they :D
Wigwam
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Wigwam »

Great thread NW.

As a Leeds fan darn sarf, I only really got a chance to start watching Leeds in the late eighties. But for me my favourite season was 1990/91 when we'd just been promoted as that was probably the year I went to more matches than any other.

Particular hi/lo lights :-

Going to Kenilworth Road. What a sh*thole.
Getting well beaten at home to Spurs by Lineker and Gazza post Italia 90.
Speedo scoring a great header away at Palace and going mental in the away standing.
Only time I've ever been to Highfield Road. That place was dangerous to get out of a real crush.
Spanking Chelsea at home on Boxing Day while watching with my Chelsea mate.
Chappy eating dirt at Spurs.
Think I saw us play Arsenal about 5 times that season with FA Cup replays.
My first time on the Kop as we smashed David Platt's Villa in the league cup.
Wimbledon away at Plough Lane. Village.
First time on the Lowfields terrace against the scum in the league cup semi. Most intimidating atmosphere of a match I've ever been to.
Took my Dad up to see us play Liverpool and what a game 4-5 but we were robbed.
Then last game of the season at Forest, another great game we lost 4-3. At the end of the game Batts threw his boots into the crowd and we all sang we'll win the league next year. And we bloody well did too!!