2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

Last season we fell away and a good case could be made to say it was a lot to do with Saiz getting suspended and Aylings absence through injury.

However I feel things are different now, we are a different team/squad and don't rely on one or two players.
To suggest its the same squad is laughable, looking at the teams we fielded in the 2nd half of the season last term we had the likes of Wiedwald, DeBock, Sacko, O'Kane, Pennington, LaSogga, Ekuban getting game time.

This season in the vast majority of matches we dominate possession, last season I'm not sure we ever had more than 50%.

In the early matches we won last time we never actually played that well, not compared to this year.

We have a bloody good coaching team and a manager that is prepared to change things when plan A isn't working.

This season just feels different to me compared with previous efforts.

Saying that I hope Saiz stays, good player no doubt and can't blame others for trying to sign him.

Very much doubt we'll let him go on the cheap (cant believe the loan suggestion) and not sure Getafe have put money on the table yet so I live in hope.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Barlow Boy wrote:
whiteinfrance wrote: How many assists does he have this season?
He has 4 in 15 appearances, Alioski has 4 in 21, Klich 5 in 21 and Forshaw 0 in 7. I appreciate you can twist statistics to suit needs, but he isn’t exactly struggling with others in those listed. I’ve no idea if such statistics exist, but I wouldn’t mind knowing how often he plays a teammate into space, who then crosses/passes for another teammate to score. These go unnoticed, but a crucial part of the game for me.

To be honest, I’m surprised how many are happy for him to go, he’s one of the best we’ve had for years in my mind.
Have to agree there ........... the number of opposition defenders he is able to take out with a pass to a teammate has played a large part in our success so far this season.

Saying that, there's little point in insisting that he remain, if he's less than happy, and set on a move back to Spain, as much for family reasons as anything else, if we're to believe reports.

I can't, however, see the point of a rumoured loan deal, since we appear to short of funds ourselves for the upcoming transfer window.

Either way, it's a shame things have ended this way, and I, for one found Saiz quite inspirational at times during the games I watched. :roll:
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Seems he is on his way:-

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9494030

Not sure why the loan, Getafe need to get the cheque book out and buy him.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Barlow Boy wrote:... I’ve no idea if such statistics exist, but I wouldn’t mind knowing how often he plays a teammate into space, who then crosses/passes for another teammate to score. These go unnoticed, but a crucial part of the game for me...
Saiz is ranked no.23 out of 467 Championship players for 'Key Passes'. Average of 1.8 per game.

For comparisons, Pablo is 3rd with 2.9 and Alioski 18th with 1.9

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/T ... -2018-2019
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
CrisPeacock
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CrisPeacock »

this is one of the comments from Facebook and this is what I want to say too:
"Absolutely shocking why make it easy for him .We are a joke when transfers take place , we are far too soft ,we take eternity to buy or loan players , but when we sell some one it goes quicker than a flash .Saiz is a big asset to the club ,so why loan him out , if he wants to go let him go to the highest bidder , we are an absolute joke ."
LUFCTALK Prediction League Winner 2014-2015
CrisPeacock

Post by CrisPeacock »

I don't know how to post a link ,sorry :lol:
LUFCTALK Prediction League Winner 2014-2015
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

It wouldn’t feel like a proper transfer window if we didn’t lose one of our best players for a pittance (or nowt), then replace him with a couple of crap loans after finding out that, despite assurances, we appear to be completely skint!
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I hope the club have inserted a clause that as if he gets injured they must still buy him? A 6 month loan deal seems pointless to me. It does sort of answer the question why he has not been at his best (interested) this season. From hero to zero in a matter of seasons.

He should have seen out the season in my view. I'm very disappointed in him i have to say. I'm not saying it will, but things like this can rock the boat.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
whiteinfrance wrote: How many assists does he have this season?
He has 4 in 15 appearances, Alioski has 4 in 21, Klich 5 in 21 and Forshaw 0 in 7. I appreciate you can twist statistics to suit needs, but he isn’t exactly struggling with others in those listed. I’ve no idea if such statistics exist, but I wouldn’t mind knowing how often he plays a teammate into space, who then crosses/passes for another teammate to score. These go unnoticed, but a crucial part of the game for me.

To be honest, I’m surprised how many are happy for him to go, he’s one of the best we’ve had for years in my mind.
Completely agree BB. We've looked a much more dangerous team with him in the side this season. The second assist for Roberts' second goal against Preston highlights your point. I recall him jumping up and down as the cross went into the box. He attracts opposition defenders towards him and this season he shifts the ball to other areas a lot quicker. When he plays he stops the opposition zoning in around Hernandez.

The cynic in me wonders if it's just a way to cash in on one of our most saleable assets, given Elevensports predicament, in a more palatable way.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
CrisPeacock

Post by CrisPeacock »

"We've lost Saiz
Samuel Saiz
I just don't think you understand!
He f***ed off back to Spain
He doesn’t like the rain
We've lost Samuel Saiz"
Dilly Dilly