What's your opinion of the manager status?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby rigger » 18 May 2018, 07:38

Looking at the two (extremely cheap) managers AR has chosen, I think all this talk of Allardyce and Ranieri is academic : regardless of whether they'd be given any money to spend, we couldn't afford their wages in the first place.

McCarthy maybe, if only because it would probably be his last job and he's a boyhood fan.

Other than that, I stick to what I said above in that Heck won't leave unless we make a poor start and then it'll be another unknown, probably from Europe on the cheap.
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby Another Northern Soul » 18 May 2018, 07:47

But he paid Barnsley £500k, Rigs, plus whatever compensation/pay off for Christiansen, not on the cheap in other words.
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby rigger » 18 May 2018, 07:54

Half a mill is nothing these days.
Allardyce would want a much bigger fee than both our last two bosses and I'm sure TC wouldn't have cost much to pay off, as his basic would've been way lower given he came from the Cypriot league in the first place.
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby Another Northern Soul » 18 May 2018, 08:36

rigger wrote:Half a mill is nothing these days.
Allardyce would want a much bigger fee than both our last two bosses and I'm sure TC wouldn't have cost much to pay off, as his basic would've been way lower given he came from the Cypriot league in the first place.


Half a million is low compared to PL but it's a big wedge for this division and certainly isn't on the cheap, is all I was saying. i'm not on about Allardyce, I'm referring to all the criticism of the club doing things cheaply when £500k+ isn't that - it's the only figure we've seen stated as fact, none of us know (or do we?) what TC or PH get paid.
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby rigger » 18 May 2018, 09:03

No, that's fair enough and the fact he spent twenty on the stadium has earned AR a lot of credit for me so I'm not exactly calling him tight, just that as a successful businessman he will try to get us up as economically as possible. I've said before that the last season was a freebie for him and he had every right to do what he did.

The question for me is this : do we spend our kitty on hiring 'the right man' (with no guarantees) or on the team, which might seem to be a safer option in terms of having saleable assets after the gamble. Both choices are exactly that after all, as is the third of compromising between the two.

Whatever happens it'll be interesting !!
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 11082
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby johnh » 18 May 2018, 10:03

The 500k and any pay-off for TC is due to poor decisions in the past. Get a decent manager in, give him 2/3 years and there won't be any pay-off's. What we need is a decent manager and some stability.
Maybe I am being overly pessimistic but I am not so sure about the credit due to AR for buying the stadium. If it was on the books of Leeds United FC as an asset, then I would agree, but it is on the books of a company no one as ever heard of isn't it?
The Prime Minister has been in our house.
User avatar
johnh
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché
 
Posts: 5503
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 15:26

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby CorkWhite » 18 May 2018, 13:34

johnh wrote:The 500k and any pay-off for TC is due to poor decisions in the past. Get a decent manager in, give him 2/3 years and there won't be any pay-off's. What we need is a decent manager and some stability.
Maybe I am being overly pessimistic but I am not so sure about the credit due to AR for buying the stadium. If it was on the books of Leeds United FC as an asset, then I would agree, but it is on the books of a company no one as ever heard of isn't it?

I think he bought the club with the same company so its under the same umbrella.
On 28 June 2017, Radrizzani completed the purchase of Elland Road, making the stadium property of Leeds United for the first time since 2004. (courtesy of Wikipedia)
CorkWhite
Terry Venables's car dealer
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 02 May 2018, 04:43

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby Another Northern Soul » 18 May 2018, 14:57

No mate, the stadium isn't officially an asset of the club, AR bought it under one of his company names, possibly Greenfield (only from memory). Now I think there are two ways of viewing that transaction - those who are dubious of his intentions might suspect he will sell the club and then charge the new owners extortionate rent for ER. On the other hand, someone mentioned that if he as Leeds United bought ER then it would work against financial fair play rules. I genuinely have no idea but that was definitely a suggestion. It might be complete hogwash but I do genuinely think he has bought ER with good intentions and isn't intending to fleece us.
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby johnh » 18 May 2018, 15:12

Another Northern Soul wrote:No mate, the stadium isn't officially an asset of the club, AR bought it under one of his company names, possibly Greenfield (only from memory). Now I think there are two ways of viewing that transaction - those who are dubious of his intentions might suspect he will sell the club and then charge the new owners extortionate rent for ER. On the other hand, someone mentioned that if he as Leeds United bought ER then it would work against financial fair play rules. I genuinely have no idea but that was definitely a suggestion. It might be complete hogwash but I do genuinely think he has bought ER with good intentions and isn't intending to fleece us.


Yes, Greenfield rings a bell with me. My question is (regardless of whatever intentions) why do it that way? Can't see FFP being an issue.
The Prime Minister has been in our house.
User avatar
johnh
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché
 
Posts: 5503
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 15:26

Re: What's your opinion of the manager status?

Postby Another Northern Soul » 18 May 2018, 15:25

johnh wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:No mate, the stadium isn't officially an asset of the club, AR bought it under one of his company names, possibly Greenfield (only from memory). Now I think there are two ways of viewing that transaction - those who are dubious of his intentions might suspect he will sell the club and then charge the new owners extortionate rent for ER. On the other hand, someone mentioned that if he as Leeds United bought ER then it would work against financial fair play rules. I genuinely have no idea but that was definitely a suggestion. It might be complete hogwash but I do genuinely think he has bought ER with good intentions and isn't intending to fleece us.


Yes, Greenfield rings a bell with me. My question is (regardless of whatever intentions) why do it that way? Can't see FFP being an issue.


But if FFP is involved then it makes sense, John.
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 3975
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: taggart and 2 guests