Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Pet Peeves - Get it off your chest!

Post by Selby White »

Frankie wrote:Christmas TV adverts before December. :evil:

Is it just me or are they even earlier this year and there are more of them too?
We were just saying the same, its getting really silly.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Phone Zombies - Those that walk down the street or across the road staring into their phone oblivious to everything or everyone around them
Guilty :oops:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I have a mobile phone. I keep it in the car in case of emergencies. I can't remember when I last used it. That reminds me, must check that its charged up.
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Using 'literally' instead of 'virtually' or any other emphasis:

''Did you see how angry he was? His head literally exploded" :x

I know these days the dictionary says it is used ''for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true'', but that's because so many people misused the word that it's now accepted!
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

kk_white wrote:Using 'literally' instead of 'virtually' or any other emphasis:

I know these days the dictionary says it is used ''for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true'', but that's because so many people misused the word that it's now accepted!
I've banged on about it on here before, how so many folk use 'hopefully' wrongly, but I can understand how easily it occurs. However, when I hear newsreaders saying it, AND when they're reading reports of 'incredible' events occurring, it annoys me.

Noticed how many people answer a question, or even start a conversation with 'So...' ? That's getting annoying now too :lol:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:

I've banged on about it on here before, how so many folk use 'hopefully' wrongly, but I can understand how easily it occurs. However, when I hear newsreaders saying it, AND when they're reading reports of 'incredible' events occurring, it annoys me.

Noticed how many people answer a question, or even start a conversation with 'So...' ? That's getting annoying now too :lol:

It's not as annoying to me as people under 30 using "like" every other word.
The other bewildering use of so is when someone says "I'm so over her" or "That's so last year".

Just, like, so **** off ! :evil:

Another one is "pacific" instead of specific.
The deputy head of my school used to do it and I, like, so wanted to tell him but he was so, like, like Darth Vadar he so would of, like, killed me ..
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:

It's not as annoying to me as people under 30 using "like" every other word.
The other bewildering use of so is when someone says "I'm so over her" or "That's so last year".

Just, like, so **** off ! :evil:

Another one is "pacific" instead of specific.
The deputy head of my school used to do it and I, like, so wanted to tell him but he was so, like, like Darth Vadar he so would of, like, killed me ..

literally :lol:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

With you on that one ANS, what is it with starting a sentence with "so" I actually have to switch the TV or radio over sometimes as some people getting interviewed start EVERY answer with "so." Where / when did it start ?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Selby White wrote:Phone Zombies - Those that walk down the street or across the road staring into their phone oblivious to everything or everyone around them. Saw one walk into a lamp post recently it did make me smile.

Worse still, really gets my goat, parents that sit with their children and sit swiping their phones in stead of talking to their children. As a teacher and someone who hasn't been luck enough to have children, makes me furious. I just want to go up to them and yell 'talk to your children FGS'. :crazy:
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Since all of the government cuts to education, my lovely job as a supply teacher has all but disappeared. I have therefore started working as a painter and decorator, to keep myself going.

In spite of making ever effort to cover the floors 100% with dust sheets, inevitably that one paint drip will always find the one piece of floor that has escaped the dust sheet.

How does that happen? :shifty: :crazy: