my favourite leeds game of all time

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

my favourite leeds game of all time

Post by corkleedsmot »

from 1972 (14 years before i was a glint in my dads eye)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq4ZKqk1ULE
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: my favourite leeds game of all time

Post by Wilfred Martin »

Most Leeds fans of a certain age (born pre 1960) will name that match as probably Leeds United's best ever display. I was lucky enough to be there, and the team simply had me purring with pleasure that day. It wasn't that Southampton were poor, they weren't, but Leeds were quite simply unplayable that day. Even the highlights don't really do them justice. There is a clip where they play "exhibition football" and Southampton just cannot get near the ball. Being there makes all the "Rochdales, Histons and all the other terrible performances" bearable, because I know that I support the club that once played the best football ever seen from an English team.

*See "This needs to be on here" post by Nottingham White in video clips for extended highlights of this match.
We're on our way to....
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

lucky man to see that.i remember seeing it on tape when i was very young and obsessed with learning about our glory days and came across that clip today.will def watch the extended highlights.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

For me it's the Viduka match. I was going to play a match straight after where most of my team mates were Pool fans. No way was I turning up if we lost. Didn't look good early doors but what a finish. Made all the sweeter that Vidukas 4th (I think) had a suspicion of offside about it.

MOT
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Living in London at the time I went to Craven Cottage on the 6th Jan 1968 when we won 5-0. Although the highlights were shown on The Big Match the next day, I've been unable to track down the recording.

I have a vivid recollection of Eddie Gray dribbling past 4 or 5 defenders - somewhat similar to the famous Burnley goal - and crossing for Greenhoff to score. Right in front of me and my dad!

I'd love to ask Eddie if he remembers that match.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

yeah sami hyppia scored early just as i rushed out of bed coz i think it was an early kickoff.theres alot of those games in the 60's and 70's that we played amazing stuff
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

Another good one for me was our first season back in the 1st division v Palace at Selhurst park. I was working in London for the summer and had to go see my beloved Leeds. I could only get tickets for the Palace end - right next to the Leeds fans in the corner. The day started well with me being frisked by a rather fetching female cop. We went 1 down, but Gary Speed scored into our end from a Strachan corner. I could not contain mayself and leaped approx 95 feet in the air and was suspended in motion for about 5 seconds only to land to a barrage of abuse from the surrounding Palace fans. I can actually make myself out in the footage of the match as there's only 1 in the Palace end jumping for joy. What a team we had then. It finished 1 all and we finished 4th behind Palace in 3rd.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

speed and strachan were my favourite players as a kid.i had strachan on the back of my jersey when i was about 5-6.do ye remember his goal where the ball went into the top corner and got stuck in the posts?
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

29/01/1973 Norwich City (FACR3R2)
(Villa Park) 5 - 0 33225 - - Jones, Clarke, Clarke, Clarke, Lorimer

This was a most memorable night, the performance, particularly int first half (we were 4-0 up at H/T) was just sublime and I was privileged/lucky enough to be there! :thumbup:
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19720318.htm

18th March 1972

Leeds v Spurs - FA Cup 6th Round

2-1

Clarke, Charlton