Potential targets after promotion

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Potential targets after promotion

Post by sgt_pooly »

Obviously not wanting to tempt fate but it's something that has been playing on my mind since the James saga. Plus, lets be honest....who doesn't love a bit or rumour and specualtion! So to set things off.....

GK - Look pretty well covered here with the recent signing of Kiko
RB - Ayling has struggled, I think we need better. Could Shackleton kick on?
LB - Not 100% sold on either option but we seem stronger here than at RB, I'd possibly look to stick with the 2.
CB - Both have did well but at least 1 addition should be brought in at a better standard imo.
CM - Phillips,Klich and Forshaw offer good options but another quality addition would be useful
AM - A must.....Could Izzy be the man?
WIng - With Harrison off, we would need 2 quality additions. I would love to see us get Harvey Barnes and possibly James.
ST - I like both of our options here but I'm not sure if either could fully cut it in the Prem.

Shopping list........RB, CB, CM, AM, LW, RW, ST........60m should do I reckon.
Last edited by sgt_pooly on 04 Mar 2019, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Potential targets after promotion

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Think we need to calm down, it's far from over yet and we might even be third again tonight :(
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

There's nothing wrong with a bit of dreaming....
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Harvey Barnes is a great shout. He's very well thought of at Leicester and his family are local and his Dad's a cradle to the grave Leicester supporter. Hard to see him moving, but we got an indication of how much difference he makes in the performance of Baggies with and without. I'm dreaming too. It's a big if, but I think if we beat the Blades, we'll end the season in the top 2. This is of course Leeds United though... I thought it was interesting we didn't sing we are top of the league until we had a 3 goal cushion. Quite like that and Bielsa's rule of only celebrating goals with a 4-goal cushion. Here's hoping we see him celebrate a lot more Leeds United goals :-)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Think we need to calm down, it's far from over yet and we might even be third again tonight :(
Could be, but Wednesday could have the 'new manager bounce'. They have been playing well recently.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

IF .. if we go up, I think Bielsa would stick with the majority of the squad because he's loyal and it would be something of a point to prove in terms of his ability if he managed to keep us up with the nucleus of the squad.

But we would need more quality up top and can't rely on Pablo every week, certainly not in the Prem and not given he'll turn 34 next season.

I think some of the youngsters would play more and agree about Shack, obviously Clarke and possibly the big lad - Edmundson ? - up top, who I'm disappointed hasn't played more this season.

I'd say every area of the pitch would need another body, though some players could cover more than one like Alioski does already - and I don't mean just with his running ;)
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I think the same. BTW, Pablo's 35 this season - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Her ... born_1985) - I only know because he's strikingly close to the age and type of player and leader Strachan was when we last got promoted from the 2nd flight
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I agree with rigger. If we get promoted, I can’t see more than 4, at a push 5, players coming in. I think the key attribute for all of them would be a versatility of sorts. I’d want a versatile defender capable of playing CB, DM and maybe FB (Jairo Riedwald), a versatile midfielder capable of playing multiple roles in midfield (James Milner), a versatile attacking midfielder also capable of playing out wide (Robin Quaison), and a a more out and out winger (Said Benrahma).
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
dunlop
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by dunlop »

for me this is an interesting scenerio.
firstly we know bielsa prefers small squads and he is also loyal to the players under him , so would he really want to bring in 4 or 5 players?
though i agree with most that some players may not be good enough for the prem but then again they may still surprise us , most people on here
seem to have overlooked that bielsa is potentially grooming the next generation of leeds first teamers already.
personally i see maybe 2 or three players coming in maybe daniel james? or another midfielder , a central defender and possibly another striker.
not saying it wont happen , but i'm surprised so many people are so keen to get milner back at the club?
i know he's a life long leeds fan and except that he has been a great proffessional , but at 33 and with us worrying about pablos age at 34 ,
do we think he could cope with the bielsa fitness regime? i would have thought it would be better to go for a younger player say 27/28 yr old ,
but if it happens i hope he proves me wrong.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

I'd also be interested to adapt this topic to the scenario where we just miss out, whereby we'd be at risk of losing a few players. There are some positions we need to strengthen in irrespective of league, and some younger players I'd be interested in signing wherever we end up, who I think could be great in the Championship and kick on in the Premier League (Barnes and James being good examples).
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’