Bielsa Stay or Go

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Will Marcelo be here at the start of next season

Poll ended at 23 May 2019, 15:26

Yes
66
87%
No
10
13%
 
Total votes : 76

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby Selby White » 16 May 2019, 16:57

Nic wrote:He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.


I don't believe its as many players as some are suggesting, lets not forget we finished third so the squad needs tweaking not a total overhaul. We all know MB likes a small squad of players, he believes in togetherness and team spirit. He'll know what he wants and hope thats what we get.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 8343
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby Nic » 16 May 2019, 17:14

Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.


I don't believe its as many players as some are suggesting, lets not forget we finished third so the squad needs tweaking not a total overhaul. We all know MB likes a small squad of players, he believes in togetherness and team spirit. He'll know what he wants and hope thats what we get.
I agree, but its also ones of high enough quality to be better than what we have already. When he came, players went out on loan he didn't think fit and at previous clubs he's sent new signings straight out on loan.

It is one of those things where if he gets the support, and it will be a small number of players, he'll stay. People are bandying around figures from half to a complete squad - then again don't they always :crazy:
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby Selby White » 16 May 2019, 17:24

Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.


I don't believe its as many players as some are suggesting, lets not forget we finished third so the squad needs tweaking not a total overhaul. We all know MB likes a small squad of players, he believes in togetherness and team spirit. He'll know what he wants and hope thats what we get.
I agree, but its also ones of high enough quality to be better than what we have already. When he came, players went out on loan he didn't think fit and at previous clubs he's sent new signings straight out on loan.

It is one of those things where if he gets the support, and it will be a small number of players, he'll stay. People are bandying around figures from half to a complete squad - then again don't they always :crazy:


To me it's a couple of players that can break down packed defences. We didn't go up primarily because we didn't have a good record against lower teams.
Against teams in the top 8 we more than held our own.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 8343
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby Nic » 16 May 2019, 18:36

Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:He will want assurances abut new signings, otherwise he will go. So if ifs, sell a player to PL and but 3 unknown players and a few loans he'll walk as the feeling he's not being backed.


I don't believe its as many players as some are suggesting, lets not forget we finished third so the squad needs tweaking not a total overhaul. We all know MB likes a small squad of players, he believes in togetherness and team spirit. He'll know what he wants and hope thats what we get.
I agree, but its also ones of high enough quality to be better than what we have already. When he came, players went out on loan he didn't think fit and at previous clubs he's sent new signings straight out on loan.

It is one of those things where if he gets the support, and it will be a small number of players, he'll stay. People are bandying around figures from half to a complete squad - then again don't they always :crazy:


To me it's a couple of players that can break down packed defences. We didn't go up primarily because we didn't have a good record against lower teams.
Against teams in the top 8 we more than held our own.
Bielsa has mentioned the number of attempts it takes us to score goals, and also when talking about Man City and how they have broken down packed defences because of quality players they have.
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby ilkley62 » 16 May 2019, 18:37

I'm not convinced we are as close to having the right calibre squad as some are thinking, i'm seeing a squad that finished mid table over the last half season & were getting worse as the season progressed (not viewing it as 3rd over the full season)
I think we need a number of quality players maybe 4 who have the ability & mental strength to flourish with us.
User avatar
ilkley62
George Graham's Crombie cleaner
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 22:55

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby rigger » 16 May 2019, 19:08

No, I have to disagree - it's five or six players across the squad and this means Bielsa has learnt how hard the division is.
There must be at least one more player for each section of the pitch - a centre-back, a full-back, a central midfielder, a winger/attacking midfielder and a striker. Some of these can overlap in terms of covering more than one role - Shaughnessy as DC or DMC, for example - but we need numbers more than anything to avoid the dreaded Bielsa Burnout.

They can be kids who play more often - Shack, Clarke - or others stepping up - Edmondson, Davis - but I would like to see a new spine of experienced pro's coming in : another commanding DC, a proper MC, a consistent winger/AMC and an out-and-out striker/poacher.
Some have mentioned Gayle for that role and he'd be fine, so that kind of level of signing ..

Bielsa's methods will NEVER bear fruit unless he gets it into his head that he needs more players for it be effective.
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 12804
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby Nic » 16 May 2019, 20:05

It seems at the end of the last few seasons many have said we need 5 or 6 signings, but is it any more plausible now than those times? Also will MB say he needs six or stick to simply replacing like for like as long as its improving the first 11. Will there be funds for that many?
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby thevicar » 16 May 2019, 20:37

Bielsa has said more than once that the current crop of players could not repeat this year's performance which seems to indicate he is very aware of their limitations. But he will not compromise his style of keeping a small squad and players having to win their places back after injury / suspension. i believe he'll want 3-4 quality players, in particular, those that can convert chances into goals. i trust his judgement and he'll have learned a lot from this season....hopefully he has a cure for this sick feeling in my stomach i cannot shift!
thevicar
Giddy Kipper
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 14:48

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby judy » 16 May 2019, 21:35

We all feel sick at the moment. Unfortunately it’s an all too familiar feeling for Leeds fans. We thought this season was going to be different which makes this sick feeling even more hard to bare.
judy
Brian McDermott's optician
 
Posts: 264
Joined: 03 Aug 2015, 14:39

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Postby Mr Russell » 16 May 2019, 22:01

Stay! Plus i want to see him here in Oz in July with his team.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
User avatar
Mr Russell
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 03:22
Location: Behind you

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lufctrav and 11 guests