QSI interest and potential investment discussion thread

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Do you care who stumps up the money so long as we get it ?

1. No, I don't care. We've been down here too long and I'd willingly sell my soul to the devil if it meant Premiership football.
41%
2. I'm in two minds : I'm sick of being in this division, but I would prefer someone local to own the club.
41%
3. I care very much and am against state-ownership of clubs and the commercial direction all sports are taking, not to mention the human rights angle.
18%

Total votes: 56

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: QSI interest and potential investment discussion thread

Post by Selby White »

Costy wrote:
Selby White wrote:It's not just, was told that the Premier League since its creation has been won by the biggest spenders in all but two seasons.
Such a none level playing field it's arguable its no longer a sport.
Hasn't this pretty much always been the case though? I don't get all this 'football has sold it's soul, I've fallen out of love with the game' sentiment. Forest were the first team to spend a million pounds on a player and they promptly won the league and European cup. That was in the seventies. If you ask me it's a better, faster, more exciting game now than it's ever been. Man City making people fall out of love with the game? They play arguably the best football that's ever been seen in this country and their players work their balls off to make the success happen. I'd love us to be like them.
Its a good point that its better & faster but exciting not always as more matches are predictable.

There is an elite group of 6 teams that are significantly better than the rest, the gap between top and bottom is greater than its ever been.
Hence a lot less competitive.

Using the Forest example their points total in 1978 was 64 (a fine winning margin) which would equate to 89 points with todays system (3pts for a win rather than 2). That is still significantly less the both Man City or Liverpool achieved. Add to that forest played four more matches so would estimate you could add around 10 more points to Man City or Liverpool leaving Forest some 20 points behind.

Consider that 1978 performance was actually the highest winning total in the 70's, some years the Champions total would have been more than 30 pts adrift of City.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

Nothing like a good un-biased vote...." sell my soul to the devil", really? :lol:

Look, the dream is to have a local billionaire who loves the club and is willing to throw in his hard earned money for little to no return. Reality of this happening....rather low I'm afraid.

Pretty much all Premiership clubs have some sort of foreign input with 3 or 4 the exception and it's a similar case in the Championship. If we want to make the step up the PL and more importantly stay there, we'll need somebody with deeper pockets than Radz.

I understand that we're not in a terrible state at the minute financially and as a club, but to fund any deals we need to sell. Let's get one thing clear though, Radz is not in it for the love, he's here to make money. As soon (if) we get promoted, he's going to take out as much money as he can and potentially sell us to the highest bidder.

I live in the Middle East and don't really get the anger towards Qatar, this talk of dirty money etc is a little wide of the mark. Yes the country issues, but so does China, India, Egypt, Iran, Thailand etc. There's always going to be some kind of issue with any potential investor in most peoples eyes.

I do agree with a lot of the posters though and I don't want us to become a Man City, PSG type of club. Sensible investment and not just throwing insane money at world class players straight away. I'd like us to grow slowly and invest wisely. Young talent with the potential to grow, scattered in with some good International players. I also would like to keep hold of our best players and let them be the core of the future (Phillips, Shackleton, Clarke etc).

The guys from Qatar want to be involved with an English club, why not us.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

sgt_pooly wrote:Nothing like a good un-biased vote...." sell my soul to the devil", really? :lol:

Look, the dream is to have a local billionaire who loves the club and is willing to throw in his hard earned money for little to no return. Reality of this happening....rather low I'm afraid.
Perfect point :clap:
sgt_pooly wrote:Pretty much all Premiership clubs have some sort of foreign input with 3 or 4 the exception and it's a similar case in the Championship. If we want to make the step up the PL and more importantly stay there, we'll need somebody with deeper pockets than Radz.

I understand that we're not in a terrible state at the minute financially and as a club, but to fund any deals we need to sell. Let's get one thing clear though, Radz is not in it for the love, he's here to make money. As soon (if) we get promoted, he's going to take out as much money as he can and potentially sell us to the highest bidder.
We need to accept that owners have their own agenda and hope that they take the club in the right direction as they do. I suppose people say Radz doesn't have the money to heavily invest, though it's probably more wants to limit what his exposure is. Buying the stadium back has tangible value and either selling players or selling shares allows the needed investment whilst limiting his exposure.

We need to be realistic in that either we have an owner who can invest to enable us to challenge in the PL to be in and around the top 6, or we are destined to be amongst the small clubs. Maybe gaining promotion to the PL but going back down occasionally, or staying in the Championship and fleeting with the play-offs.
sgt_pooly wrote:I live in the Middle East and don't really get the anger towards Qatar, this talk of dirty money etc is a little wide of the mark. Yes the country issues, but so does China, India, Egypt, Iran, Thailand etc. There's always going to be some kind of issue with any potential investor in most peoples eyes.

I do agree with a lot of the posters though and I don't want us to become a Man City, PSG type of club. Sensible investment and not just throwing insane money at world class players straight away. I'd like us to grow slowly and invest wisely. Young talent with the potential to grow, scattered in with some good International players. I also would like to keep hold of our best players and let them be the core of the future (Phillips, Shackleton, Clarke etc).

The guys from Qatar want to be involved with an English club, why not us.
Yes there are a lot of owners who come from countries that fall short on some issue or another, and often have a link back to the rulers or governments of the said country. So is potential owners from Qatar bad, but China et al acceptable?

Some of the concern over QSI by some is the Qatar connection, in which case what foreign ownership is acceptable (none???), but it could also be the PSG concern. "The guys from Qatar want to be involved with an English club, why not us." It depends on the level of control they want and what they do with it. Will they invest sensibly to bolster areas we are short and allow talent to come through so we retain an identity, or chuck insane money buying the likes of Neymar etc.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

Good points Nic.

I guess all this talk could be completely irrelevant as nobody really knows what's going on....time will tell.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

sgt_pooly wrote: I live in the Middle East and don't really get the anger towards Qatar, this talk of dirty money etc is a little wide of the mark.
https://www.smithslawyers.com.au/post/t ... ld-cup-yet

As estimated 1200-4000 deaths of migrant construction worked might be one reason ..
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

rigger wrote:
sgt_pooly wrote: I live in the Middle East and don't really get the anger towards Qatar, this talk of dirty money etc is a little wide of the mark.
https://www.smithslawyers.com.au/post/t ... ld-cup-yet

As estimated 1200-4000 deaths of migrant construction worked might be one reason ..
On a very general point the immigrant workers imported into any of the oil rich middle eastern states are treated like inconsequential chattel. This is nothing new under the sun, if you pardon the pun.

The development of Dubai and Abu Dabi for example is built using cheap labour working and living in dreadful conditions and yet we pile into those places for our luxury holidays without giving any of that a second thought. The use of those workers there has not stopped and I don't reckon it will any time soon.

All this hand-wringing over Qater seems a bit blinkered because of the World Cup in that country
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

PhoenixUnited wrote: On a very general point the immigrant workers imported into any of the oil rich middle eastern states are treated like inconsequential chattel. This is nothing new under the sun, if you pardon the pun.

The development of Dubai and Abu Dabi for example is built using cheap labour working and living in dreadful conditions and yet we pile into those places for our luxury holidays without giving any of that a second thought. The use of those workers there has not stopped and I don't reckon it will any time soon.

All this hand-wringing over Qater seems a bit blinkered because of the World Cup in that country
It's not about whether it's new or not : it's wrong.

I don't pile in there and I never will.
I could've saved money down the years flying into those very spots on the way down to visit my family in South Africa but I never have and I never intend to.

If anything, I'd argue that the World Cup has brought the problem more sharply into focus than blinkering it.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote: On a very general point the immigrant workers imported into any of the oil rich middle eastern states are treated like inconsequential chattel. This is nothing new under the sun, if you pardon the pun.

It's not about whether it's new or not : it's wrong.

I don't pile in there and I never will.
I could've saved money down the years flying into those very spots on the way down to visit my family in South Africa but I never have and I never intend to.

If anything, I'd argue that the World Cup has brought the problem more sharply into focus than blinkering it.

2 women stoned to death together today more or less an everyday occurrence in KSA ...a reality of Arab / Muslim culture.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

I think we should stick to the football side of things guys. It's getting too drawn into a political issue which we shouldn't really be getting drawn into as a website for football. I understand how it has become like this because of QSI potential investment and what people perceive as bad money etc.

If we want to delve deeper into how people are treated in the middle east, we could easily look at our own backyard and say this or that about it too going back hundreds of years.

We should be non affiliated when it comes to finger pointing at the politics of another country, state or region. We are fans of Leeds United, keep it simple as it draws far too much tension to the website. Yes it makes dramatic reading for some and yes it is all about opinions but is it really about football? or is it personal opinions overshadowing the football matters?
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

:clap: :clap: CW well said.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.