The Cellino thread - The Football League verdict

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: The Cellino thread - discussions on his running of LUFC

Post by Aces »

So far my take on Cellino over his coaches picks are .....

BM, he sacked cos he wasn't good enough ..... Correct.
He wrongly set on the Hock, but sacked him sharpish .... Correct.
He didn't appoint Redders because he lacked proper experience ...... Correct.
He set on Darko, which on paper looked ok, but turned out not so, he then sacked him ..... Correct.
He has now listened to the Leeds fans and given Redders a chance to shine ...... Corecto Mundo kudos to Cellino.

The thing is with Cellino, he is passionate for Leeds and the fans and I haven't seen that from an owner for many a year..
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Johnny Giles saying Cellino should get out of the club:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29776590
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Johnny Giles saying Cellino should get out of the club:-

I haven't read the article, who does he say is ready to buy Cellino out?

None of us wanted Cellino, but just where we would be without him is anyone's guess, mine guess would be in Administration and demoted to the lower divisions by the football league.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I doubt Cellino even knows who Johnny Giles is.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Fernandopartridge
Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland expert

Post by Fernandopartridge »

Aces wrote:So far my take on Cellino over his coaches picks are .....

BM, he sacked cos he wasn't good enough ..... Correct.
He wrongly set on the Hock, but sacked him sharpish .... Correct.
He didn't appoint Redders because he lacked proper experience ...... Correct.
He set on Darko, which on paper looked ok, but turned out not so, he then sacked him ..... Correct.
He has now listened to the Leeds fans and given Redders a chance to shine ...... Corecto Mundo kudos to Cellino.

The thing is with Cellino, he is passionate for Leeds and the fans and I haven't seen that from an owner for many a year..
:thumbup:
Get the kettle on
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Get the kettle on »

Well, it's certainly one way of looking at things..

Cellino is responsible for employing 'head coaches' as per his way of running the club. Ultimatetly the buck stops with Cellino.

Hiring and firing might be his style but is it in the best interest of LUFC?

Why appoint someone and then sack them so soon? Surely all that does is undlerline Cellino's error in appointing them in the first place?

In any event, here's hoping for better for LUFC.
johndivney
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by johndivney »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Johnny Giles saying Cellino should get out of the club:-

i'm on board a lot of the times w/johnny giles but sometimes he's just plain wrong & too far removed from the thing. this is one such occasion. his opinion on cellino lacks balance & insight. he's guilty of the typical reactionary anti-cellino nonsense that's pervading the media.
giles should be coming out & defending cellino for buying the club from the real villains of the piece. not decrying him because he's sacked a few useless managers.
disappointed in giles on this one.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

John Giles used to be my hero. I then liked him as a pundit. Unfortunately lately IMO he is often out of his depth as he doesn't do as much research as is required and he has been out of the game for some time. I'm not sure he is totally familiar with what is going on at Leeds.

Not to say that Cellino is coming out of this smelling like roses. Yes the players he bought, and salerno picked, have been largely positive. But it was clear from end of last season we needed a good or great coach to cement the new team together.

3 coaches later,he can't afford any more mistakes.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I heard John Giles on Radio 5 and quite honestly thought that the things that he said were common knowledge (ie MC picks the team) were utter Malecowpoo. I'd like to know where he is getting his information because Hockaday, Redders and Darko all said that they picked the team when asked by the media. MC isn't perfect but at least he is passionate about the club and wants it to succeed. If you had carried out a straw poll after yesterday's game I think the majority of fans would have wanted Darko out and Redders in. Should we then condemn MC for feeling the same way?

Anyone who complains about MC should remember Mr Bates and GFH. We have a strong squad, quickly assembled, we are playing better football than we have since the O'Leary days, and there is a buzz about Elland Road again, as yesterday's crowd showed. Wolves are a good side and there is no disgrace in losing that game. We more than matched them first half, Darko's tactics cost us that game, nothing else. I don't really care if others think we are a laughing stock because I know we're in a much better place than we were.

Football pundits nearly always say manager's sackings are unfair, but the bottom line is we have been playing negative football for the last six games, and lost some of the gloss that we showed in the previous 4 games under Redfearn. Those who say we played weaker sides might like to remember that Bournemouth was one of them - away at that! I hope Redders gets a bit longer to prove himself, one thing is for sure - he will go with youth and he will play to win, not to draw. If he fails then he too will have to go, although I suspect MC will have safeguarded his Academy role should it all go tits up. At least it's never dull and we have an owner who is willing to out his money where his mouth is - I, for one, think he's been a breath of fresh air.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

phil62 wrote:I heard John Giles on Radio 5 and quite honestly thought that the things that he said were common knowledge (ie MC picks the team) were utter Malecowpoo. I'd like to know where he is getting his information because Hockaday, Redders and Darko all said that they picked the team when asked by the media. MC isn't perfect but at least he is passionate about the club and wants it to succeed. If you had carried out a straw poll after yesterday's game I think the majority of fans would have wanted Darko out and Redders in. Should we then condemn MC for feeling the same way?

Anyone who complains about MC should remember Mr Bates and GFH. We have a strong squad, quickly assembled, we are playing better football than we have since the O'Leary days, and there is a buzz about Elland Road again, as yesterday's crowd showed. Wolves are a good side and there is no disgrace in losing that game. We more than matched them first half, Darko's tactics cost us that game, nothing else. I don't really care if others think we are a laughing stock because I know we're in a much better place than we were.

Football pundits nearly always say manager's sackings are unfair, but the bottom line is we have been playing negative football for the last six games, and lost some of the gloss that we showed in the previous 4 games under Redfearn. Those who say we played weaker sides might like to remember that Bournemouth was one of them - away at that! I hope Redders gets a bit longer to prove himself, one thing is for sure - he will go with youth and he will play to win, not to draw. If he fails then he too will have to go, although I suspect MC will have safeguarded his Academy role should it all go tits up. At least it's never dull and we have an owner who is willing to out his money where his mouth is - I, for one, think he's been a breath of fresh air.

:clap: :clap: Well said