Well well

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Well well

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My wife & I started talking about her late father Edward who passed away several years ago about his time in the army during WW2. After clearing his house there was no medals or anything but we did find a bag with his name & number on. We decided to contact the MOD to try & find out anything. We received a long letter with loads of questions which we filled out ( to the best of our knowledge ) anyway the postman delivered these yesterday.

Needless to say they will be passed on to our grandson in due course.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Well well

Post by Selby White »

Excellent :thumbup:

Great memento and well earned what a brave generation we have to look up to.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Great news. Some reward for his bravery and something to remember him by
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

As I say there going to the grandson who hopefully won’t be on Flog It in 20 years time selling ‘em for peanuts. We still know why he never had ‘em in the first place. Hats off to the MOD for letting us have them.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

From right to left they look like:

France and Germany Star
Defence Medal
War Medal

More info here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-camp ... ligibility
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

What are they ?
Can't really tell from the photo ..

They're beautiful objects, aren't they ?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Bit of clairvoyance there from psquithy :D

They look brand new : are they kept in storage for ex-servicemen and women or newly minted every time someone wants them ?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

rigger wrote:Bit of clairvoyance there from psquithy :D

They look brand new : are they kept in storage for ex-servicemen and women or newly minted every time someone wants them ?
They do indeed look brand new not sure if they’re minted on request, the whole process took about 6 months.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NW, well done to you and your good lady for following this through. It was most likely that your father in law was so anxious to get back into civvy street that he wasn't bothered or didn't think about medals. I have been thinking about doing similar for my dad. He was in the Fire Service during the war, right through the blitz in Liverpool. He never had any medals and I'm sure he was entitled to some.

PS The name, rank and army number are usually engraved around the rim of the medals. Have they done this?
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:NW, well done to you and your good lady for following this through. It was most likely that your father in law was so anxious to get back into civvy street that he wasn't bothered or didn't think about medals. I have been thinking about doing similar for my dad. He was in the Fire Service during the war, right through the blitz in Liverpool. He never had any medals and I'm sure he was entitled to some.

PS The name, rank and army number are usually engraved around the rim of the medals. Have they done this?
Yes should always be there. They keep blanks and once sure of the holders details will/should have then engraved before dispatching. You can also request just mounted ribbons.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders