What are you currently listening to ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: What are you currently listening to ?

Post by The Fonz »

John Fogerty CD "Revival" playing at this moment in time, cracking album doing his solo stuff rather than CCR classics.

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

The Fonz wrote:John Fogerty CD "Revival" playing at this moment in time, cracking album doing his solo stuff rather than CCR classics.

Have that in my collection, good album :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

The Fonz wrote:John Fogerty CD "Revival" playing at this moment in time, cracking album doing his solo stuff rather than CCR classics.

Thanks Fonz and SB for posting this.To be honest I haven't listened to any John Fogerty since his 1980's Centerfield.
I just had chance to listen to a few songs and am really impressed by the fact that John could still write music, although more mellow, still sounded fresh.
I am a big word guy when I comes to music and John does really say some deep rooted words from his heart.

Of the 5 tracks I listened to 'River is Waiting', was the one which created the strongest first impression. message, 'Leave all sorrow, cross the river new day is coming,' This could have been a message from any decade in the last 60 years. I feel now John has got more deeper humanity feel to his writing as opposed to Creedence rock. I was so impressed by this song that I also listened to Irma Thomas's cover, a perfect fit, but still like Fogerty's original better.
'Gunslinger' shades of country rock Neil Young/ Eagles,message 'bring justice.'
'Don't you wish it was true', Another song where John is looking for a better tomorrow, "walked in heaven, so much light"
"Broken Down cowboy", could be anybody from any era, a person looking at himself, reflecting.
Being curious, went to 'Creedence Song', sounds like he got the old band together for this one. Going back in time he talks of diners,the meeting place of young kids in their day, chilli and fries, Creedence on the Jukebox, you think you're back in the 60's.
Thanks again Fonz and SB for posting. Greatly impressed, I'm going to buy this CD.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

10,000 Maniac's uplifting version of Cat Stevens 'Peace Train.
Video is grainy but sends the message.'
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Ray Davies "Other Peoples Lives"

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Selby White wrote:
rigger wrote: Have you tried any Susan Tedeschi ??
No I've not will look her up thanks :thumbup:
Saw her at BB Kings in Memphis and fell in love.
She's got a unique voice and plays scratchy lead on her own albums, but got married to blues virtuoso Derek Trucks a few years ago and their group, The Tedeschi Trucks Band - or TTB for short - has a really big following in America, especially on the live circuit.
It's not just blues, but more Americana with elements of rock, folk, country, jazz and the full band features players from every kind of background. It's a bit like when Lyle Lovett goes on tour with his "Large Band" and plays jazzy country with touches of gospel.
Forget classifications, they're all consumate musicians and sound great whatever they play.

I'd recommend Just Won't Burn as the starting point for Tedeschi's solo stuff. Play that and take it from there ..[/quote]

Yes been looking at a few you tube videos.

When I visited Memphis in 2005 I saw a lady called Marcia Ball with her band at BB Kings and have since acquired a few CD's of hers. Actually saw her again in Houston 3 or 4 years later.
Hence that is what I have on this morning, great memories of great trips.

Saw some amazing acts in Memphis, Beale St just bleeds music one of those places that just needs visiting at least once. Actually visited again 6 years back when I did the Blues Highway (route 61), Chicago to New Orleans via St Louis & Memphis among others.
Mrs SW has not been yet, so you never know a 3rd visit in the future isn't impossible :D[/quote]

Our local concert venue, 'Narrows center for the arts' is slowly opening up for concerts, although they have had Arts and crafts and stuff like Yoga going for a while. Mentioned this because Marcia Ball is booked for 18 Aug, already marked it on the calendar. 4th June is the annual festival, very scaled back this year. Usually 2 stages, inside the concert hall and outside in the park, an all day event with usually about 8 artists. This year just the afternoon with 2 bands outside.
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Saxon

Post by Saxon »

A few years back, Saturday evening, my car broke down, outside a bar. Obviously pi***d off I went in for a few. Started talking to a guy who said he had over 30 Kinks LP's. After a bit of a sing song and a warning from the barman, we had a friendly difference of opinion which was the best Kinks song. He plonked for 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion", which I must say was a unique, up to date social commentary on fashion and the Kings Road scene, but musically not up to par with usual kinks material. ' Waterloo Sunset' was my selection. a love story of Terry and Julie, also mentioning some places you may be familiar with, making you have a closer connection to the song. This is the song so many other musicians wished they wrote and recorded.
Saxon wrote:
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

First you have to listen to this on FULL volume, preferably with headphones.
In this anthem of all anthems each musician brings his skills to the forefront.
Should send chills down your spine.

Anybody recognize the white stone building with the coat of arms in the second verse?