What are you currently listening to ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: What are you currently listening to ?

Post by kk white »

Pre-ordered new James album, so listening back to some of their older stuff. They also announced a mini UK and Ireland tour for Dec 2021 - bought my tickets yesterday. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. Already have tickets for 2 gigs cancelled last year, Nick Cave and the Pixies. Re-scheduled for April and July next year.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

kk_white wrote:Pre-ordered new James album, so listening back to some of their older stuff. They also announced a mini UK and Ireland tour for Dec 2021 - bought my tickets yesterday. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. Already have tickets for 2 gigs cancelled last year, Nick Cave and the Pixies. Re-scheduled for April and July next year.
Saw James in the mid 1980s at the Royal Court in Liverpool as a support band for The Smiths on the Meat is Murder tour.

They were excellent. :thumbup:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Wigan White wrote:
kk_white wrote:Pre-ordered new James album, so listening back to some of their older stuff. They also announced a mini UK and Ireland tour for Dec 2021 - bought my tickets yesterday. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. Already have tickets for 2 gigs cancelled last year, Nick Cave and the Pixies. Re-scheduled for April and July next year.
Saw James in the mid 1980s at the Royal Court in Liverpool as a support band for The Smiths on the Meat is Murder tour.

Me too. At Pompey Guildhall. I thought they were crap and have never liked them. The Smiths were brilliant though.

Funny how the Venn diagram of musical similarities can throw up little quirks sometimes...
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

rigger wrote:
Wigan White wrote:

Me too. At Pompey Guildhall. I thought they were crap and have never liked them. The Smiths were brilliant though.

Funny how the Venn diagram of musical similarities can throw up little quirks sometimes...
I`ve seen them five times at Brighton ,Pompey, Bournemouth twice and Brixton and every time they had the venues rocking, Tim booth`s trance dancing is worth seeing and he is a Leeds fan, thought your comment there rigger was a bit aggressive.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Not a fan of them either. I've been to the IoW festival half a dozen times at least and every time either James or Tim Booth are playing. John Giddins, the organiser, is a big fan.
Deleted User 728

LAsouthcoast wrote:
rigger wrote:
Wigan White wrote:

I`ve seen them five times at Brighton ,Pompey, Bournemouth twice and Brixton and every time they had the venues rocking, Tim booth`s trance dancing is worth seeing and he is a Leeds fan, thought your comment there rigger was a bit aggressive.

Sorry.
Maybe downgrade it to "I didn't think much of them" instead ?
Wigan White

Post by Wigan White »

rigger wrote:
Wigan White wrote:

Think I should clarify my "They were excellent" comment.

As a support band in 1985 I thought they were very good.

Unfortunately, like most bands, they tasted success and changed. That's the problem sometimes, as a lot of bands start to make more commercial music or become an obnoxious parody of how they started out.
Deleted User 728

Wigan White wrote:Unfortunately, like most bands, they tasted success and changed. That's the problem sometimes, as a lot of bands start to make more commercial music or become an obnoxious parody of how they started out.
UB40
Simply Red
Aswad
Level 42
Yes

.. off the top of my head.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Wigan White wrote:Unfortunately, like most bands, they tasted success and changed. That's the problem sometimes, as a lot of bands start to make more commercial music or become an obnoxious parody of how they started out.
Yeah WW, certainly true early to mid 90's, but since they reformed 12/15 years ago, their music has been far from commercial. Some really beautiful offerings.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Eva Cassidy

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.