Useful sites

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Useful sites

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
yorkfan wrote: Credit to Davycc for his shout for https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/ .

He seems quite impressed with his purchases so far, and I've just ordered a tentative first case from them, so, fingers crossed.
I don’t drink wine, but just showed that site to the Mrs, the prices seem ridiculous, any recommendations on actual wines to purchase ?
Honestly Kev I'm purchasing wines around the £2 mark and they are very drinkable. If I had to choose though this one is lovely "Vidigal Porta 6" for a whopping £3.60
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

yorkfan wrote:For online wine purchases, I'v been using https://www.nakedwines.com for some years.

They operate on a monthly subscription basis, and use the money to help fund small independent winemakers, and some of the wine we've had has been a bit special.

Credit to Davycc for his shout for https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/ .

He seems quite impressed with his purchases so far, and I've just ordered a tentative first case from them, so, fingers crossed.
Am still a member of Naked wines (must check my balance as I've been two timing them with PV lol) Some really nice wines at Naked but on average £120 for twelve I can get 36 bottle at PV
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

cheffy007 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I’m sure Cheffy won’t mind if I put a link up to his site, we’ve purchased several of his chutneys which are highly recommended........

https://www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Cheers for the plug BB. These last 5 days have been manic, another local greengrocers in Tunbridge Wells have started taking my produce, all 40 jars of various chutneys that they had off me last week sold out in 2 days. Now playing catch up (or should that be ketchup), still, not knocking it, just getting tricky as I'm still doing a 40 hour week cooking for 1500 kids at Sevenoaks School. If you are purchasing again, I can recommend my new taste sensation, Pear, hazelnut and port chutney. I cant make it quick enough.
No problem Cheffy, they are delicious.

Mrs BB has already hinted she wants the Chilli Jam one again :D, that’s her favourite closely followed Scrummion Marmalade one. I’ll be in touch shortly :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks to Selby White and Davy, I’ve passed on your recommendations :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
yorkfan wrote: Credit to Davycc for his shout for https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/ .

I don’t drink wine, but just showed that site to the Mrs, the prices seem ridiculous, any recommendations on actual wines to purchase ?
Kev

The two wines we bought were:

Camolas Selection Reserve Red 2017 for €3.35; a wine of the Setubal region (where Jose Murinho is from but don't let that put you off) full bodied with a 14.5% alcohol content. Very acceptable and got better the longer it was open.

Borba Ana Loura White 2018 for €2.65; from the Alentejo, which, based on my experience of being in Portugal for a while, is a part of their country they all look up to for wine and food. Drank the first one last night with our Chinese and it was very good.

I would suggest that they are able to sell at such reasonable prices because, possibly, the wines are close to their limit for ageing.

Let me know how you get on!
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

Kev

The two wines we bought were:

Camolas Selection Reserve Red 2017 for €3.35; a wine of the Setubal region (where Jose Murinho is from but don't let that put you off) full bodied with a 14.5% alcohol content. Very acceptable and got better the longer it was open.

Borba Ana Loura White 2018 for €2.65; from the Alentejo, which, based on my experience of being in Portugal for a while, is a part of their country they all look up to for wine and food. Drank the first one last night with our Chinese and it was very good.

I would suggest that they are able to sell at such reasonable prices because, possibly, the wines are close to their limit for ageing.

Let me know how you get on!
Thanks MW, really appreciate that, I’ve passed those recommendations on to the Mrs :thumbup:
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

We stocked up on wine from Tesco a bit back when they had 25% off.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ChilwellWhite wrote:We stocked up on wine from Tesco a bit back when they had 25% off.
As did we, especially as some of our supermarket favs were at a discount anyway :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:We stocked up on wine from Tesco a bit back when they had 25% off.
As did we, especially as some of our supermarket favs were at a discount anyway :thumbup:
Am partial to a bottle of 19 Crimes from TESCO :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Am partial to a bottle of 19 Crimes from TESCO :thumbup:
Yes had that one a few times. :thumbup:
Don't know if this should be here or in the "collectors" thread but apparently there are 19 different corks (put in bottles randomly) each listing the 19 crimes that could get a convict sent to Australia.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.