Phrases or words slipping out of common parlance

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Phrases or words slipping out of common parlance

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Davycc wrote:Now "yer suckin diesel" got a problem sorted and are back on track.
Same as ‘ cooking on gas ‘
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Spuggy - A sparrow
Bait tin - A lunch box
Yam - Home
Thissen - Yourself
Flit - Moving house
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

zigzag wrote:Back in the early 70s when I was a child in Dewbury/Batley area there were a couple of words used there which might have been slang but I do remember being told they were dialect which descended from Norse, these wouldnt be in national use, probably not in use much outside my local area, and I doubt very much they have been used for years, anybody ever heard of these

Laikin - meaning playing, as in 'is Johnny laikin out after school'
Agate - meaning, was doing then showing what the person was doing, as in 'he was agate (actions scratching his nose etc)'

As I say, could have been local slang, but would be interested to know if not
When I moved to Leeds in 1951, one of the first confusing words I heard was 'lakin'. I joined a boys' club and they were always talking about lakin and it took some time to realise they meant 'playing'.
I once played against Don Revie.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

johnh wrote:
zigzag wrote:Back in the early 70s when I was a child in Dewbury/Batley area there were a couple of words used there which might have been slang but I do remember being told they were dialect which descended from Norse, these wouldnt be in national use, probably not in use much outside my local area, and I doubt very much they have been used for years, anybody ever heard of these

Laikin - meaning playing, as in 'is Johnny laikin out after school'
Agate - meaning, was doing then showing what the person was doing, as in 'he was agate (actions scratching his nose etc)'

As I say, could have been local slang, but would be interested to know if not
When I moved to Leeds in 1951, one of the first confusing words I heard was 'lakin'. I joined a boys' club and they were always talking about lakin and it took some time to realise they meant 'playing'.
Lakin is in my dad's vocab and he is from Morley
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Spuggy - A sparrow
Bait tin - A lunch box
Yam - Home
Thissen - Yourself
Flit - Moving house
I associate bait with the north east. We'd call it a snap box in West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire.

Similarly 'yam', north east (County Durham) or at least North Yorkshire. 'Gan yam' I remember hearing in Teesdale.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Westminster wrote:
I associate bait with the north east. We'd call it a snap box in West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire.

Similarly 'yam', north east (County Durham) or at least North Yorkshire. 'Gan yam' I remember hearing in Teesdale.
As a North Yorkshire lad we had a bait box & we went yam :D I have to admit the first time I heard snap box I had to scratch my head wondering what the heck they were talking about. Another word that’s just sprung to mind is yal aka beer. Tha ( get tha sen out of here ) was in common usage as well. Anyone else had a croggy :lol:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Always referred my mother as mam as well, not a title ladies seem to like :roll:
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Westminster wrote:

As a North Yorkshire lad we had a bait box & we went yam :D I have to admit the first time I heard snap box I had to scratch my head wondering what the heck they were talking about. Another word that’s just sprung to mind is yal aka beer. Tha ( get tha sen out of here ) was in common usage as well. Anyone else had a croggy :lol:
When you say, North Yorkshire, where about, NW?

Big county, North Yorkshire, although the old North Riding was even bigger and covered various places which are no longer part of Yorkshire.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Westminster wrote:

Big county, North Yorkshire, although the old North Riding was even bigger and covered various places which are no longer part of Yorkshire.
Pickering
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Westminster wrote:

Pickering
Right, I'm surprised bait and yam went that far south. I was expecting you to say maybe Yarm or Northallerton, somewhere like that.