Staying up

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Staying up

Post by MOT1964 »

Nic wrote:Maybe some are disappointed we haven't come up and set the table alight fleeting with the the possibility of a European spot, but surely that was not a realistic expectation.
To be fair, as this thread and poll shows, only a few thought that a European spot, or even a top 10 finish, was a possibility. The majority had lower expectations of mid-table or below.

http://www.lufctalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6309
Costy

Post by Costy »

DominanceUK wrote:I actually thought a European place was a possibility due to how we played and the quailty of the PL - which I think isn't that great
If the quality of the Premier league isn't that great, then where exactly is great quality football being played?
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Who thought that with 1/3 of the season gone we would be above Arsenal in the table? I don't think there is any need to worry, there's definitely more than 3 teams that are worse than us, Sheff Utd for example need 1.5 points per match to get to 40 points and that's not going to happen
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Costy wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:I actually thought a European place was a possibility due to how we played and the quailty of the PL - which I think isn't that great
If the quality of the Premier league isn't that great, then where exactly is great quality football being played?
The Bundesliga, much better imo. Don't get me wrong, there is, at times, quality but it's not consistent. I would even go as far and say Serie A is better.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Was wondering about how many points we’d need to be safe & I reckon it’s around 36-40 which still gives us a way to go.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Was wondering about how many points we’d need to be safe & I reckon it’s around 36-40 which still gives us a way to go.
Well last four seasons 36pts would have done.

2015/16 Newcastle went down with 37pts but that was the year Leicester won it with 81pts with Arsenal 71pts in 2nd. I expect the top 6 to be above Arsenals total which in turn will likely result in the bottom teams scoring less.
Reckon none of the bottom three will get more than 33pts so 34 will probably do.

Doing some simple Maths based on a third of the season done (multiply current points by 3) finishing totals would be -

Brighton - 33pts
Burnley - 33pts (allowing for game in hand been a draw)
Fulham - 27pts
West Brom - 21pts
Blunts - 3pts :lol:

So 3 teams would have to really up their game to pass the 33pt barrier, one or two maybe but can't see 3 of them going on a run.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sheffield United are going to skew the average figures if they carry on like they are, I’m with you both that mid 30’s should see us ok, but I’m more than confident we can hit the mid 40’s.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Barlow Boy wrote:Sheffield United are going to skew the average figures if they carry on like they are, I’m with you both that mid 30’s should see us ok, but I’m more than confident we can hit the mid 40’s.
We are on course for at least that. We do seem to be mostly winning against the bottom 6 sides which is surely enough to keep us up. We will lose against the top 6, save for possibly the odd upset, and how we do for the teams in the middle will determine how high we end up.
There isn't a run away at the top with teams in the top 4 spots correspondingly on less points than the teams in there last season, even if you have Spurs and Southampton on much improved results verses last season.

The beneficiary seems to be the teams in the middle as the bottom teams are not faring as well. Even excluding Sheffield Utd minus seventeen compared to last year, or seven points behind where bottom placed Watford were, 16th and below have all got a lower points tally than the team that was in that spot last season. That said we still have two newly promoted sides occupying relegation spots, who both looking likely candidates to go straight back down.

As to where we finish, well using the current table standings and looking at scenarios where we win against bottom teams, draw middling ones, and lose to the top for the whole season gives us suggestions as to where we would end up. Then add our actual results and the high 40's isn't an unrealistic expectation. We do seem to be on track for an 1.2-1.4 PPG seasonal average, or about 50pts.

Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Nic wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Sheffield United are going to skew the average figures if they carry on like they are, I’m with you both that mid 30’s should see us ok, but I’m more than confident we can hit the mid 40’s.
We are on course for at least that. We do seem to be mostly winning against the bottom 6 sides which is surely enough to keep us up. We will lose against the top 6, save for possibly the odd upset, and how we do for the teams in the middle will determine how high we end up.
There isn't a run away at the top with teams in the top 4 spots correspondingly on less points than the teams in there last season, even if you have Spurs and Southampton on much improved results verses last season.

The beneficiary seems to be the teams in the middle as the bottom teams are not faring as well. Even excluding Sheffield Utd minus seventeen compared to last year, or seven points behind where bottom placed Watford were, 16th and below have all got a lower points tally than the team that was in that spot last season. That said we still have two newly promoted sides occupying relegation spots, who both looking likely candidates to go straight back down.

As to where we finish, well using the current table standings and looking at scenarios where we win against bottom teams, draw middling ones, and lose to the top for the whole season gives us suggestions as to where we would end up. Then add our actual results and the high 40's isn't an unrealistic expectation. We do seem to be on track for an 1.2-1.4 PPG seasonal average, or about 50pts.

The important thing here is to make sure we don't get into a rut of bad results and lose confidence. The win against Newcastle was very important, and the style of it even more so. As long as we keep doing that through the season bouncing back from a couple of bad results then we will be fine.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I wonder if the Newcastle victory will actually serve notice to the rest of the division that even if you sit back and try to hit us on the break, we can still hurt you.
This could play into our hands, especially given our record for defending corners and freekicks close to goal. Teams must push out to win any such dangerous set piece, which means there'll be space to exploit behind them as they do so. Even if they stretch their own shape, keeping defenders in a low block, it has to mean the midfield area will then be relatively vacant.
If our players have enough about them we could well turn this weakness into a positive.
Maybe not against the best sides - like Chelsea - but certainly often enough for us to get the foothold we need to stay up.