Original Songs you know the cover better

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Original Songs you know the cover better

Post by Saxon »

You probably know the Lenny Kravits cover of this song. Also been used in several films and ads.
There are various stories as to the real meaning of the words.
I go with the 'American Woman' is America or the American government, and not the women talked about in song.
I believe this is a anti Vietnam war protest song, as mentioned in the lines,"I don't need your war machine, I don't need your ghetto scenes".

On another note, back in the 1990's, my sons band were opening for Lenny Kravitz at a local club. My son's band had a good local following and had just been runners up in a sponsored 'Battle of the Bands' competition.When the boys band showed up the club owner said, "You're not playing tonight, here's your money for the gig". why, when Kravitz heard that a local band with a good crowd were opening he said to the club owner "Don't let them play, I'll pay you their fee, I don't want to be upstaged by some local hotshots'. Cut throat business.
Last edited by Saxon on 07 Mar 2021, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Rocking all over the world by the mighty Quo is a cover originally released by John Fogarty of Creedence fame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEUP5yjIOB8
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Went to a UB40 concert about 2 years ago with a massive UB40, it was dire, really terrible and of course they left the biggest hit to last. Still preferred the original though.

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

As a big fan of Chicago Blues history will post this one, only traditional Blues song to be a UK No1 when covered by the Rolling Stones.
Wrote by the great songwriter of Chess records Willie Dixon and recorded by Howlin Wolf during his stint at Chess records before deserting to the West side of the windy city. (here is the man himself but not the studio version).

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

"David Watts" remember the Jam version in the late 70's well here is the Kinks original from 1967 -

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Here is one a certain Johnny Cash borrowed from the sister of his wife -

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:Went to a UB40 concert about 2 years ago with a massive UB40, it was dire, really terrible and of course they left the biggest hit to last. Still preferred the original though.

Was watching a programme with ND a few weeks back and he did this, didn't know it was his until then :thumbup:
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Cream made this popular in 1968, on their Wheels of Fire LP.
This original by Albert King 1967, Stax label, co written by Booker T and William Bell, great musicians themselves.
Saw William Bell at the Leeds 'Old Mecca', our local soul spot in the 60's.
Recently discovered a great blues cover by Brittany Howard of the Alabama shakes at a Stax performance for President Obama at a White house concert.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

As a collector of original versions for many years it's always fascinating to discover new ones isn't it? Sometimes it takes a lot of research and detective work to find out who recorded the first version let alone trying to get a copy of the disc. Here are a trio of originals you may not have known were later cover versions. All very famous songs and from different times. The songs are 'Rock Around The Clock', Ray Of Light' and 'China Girl'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J61wRKVq26k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5OtnBdcWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BBAEUOOFKQ