This documentary

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

This documentary

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I personally won’t be watching Oprah Winfrey’s interview with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle but there’s going to be worldwide interest in it. I thought the couple had quit the royal life to be out of the public eye, clearly not it appears. As a self confessed Royalist I dread to think what the outcome will be it’ll be like watching an episode of The Crown but with millions of pounds slushing around, one report states Oprah will earn in excess of £14m for her part in this.
Deleted User 728

Re: This documentary

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Up the republic ! :D

I won't watch it either, but for the same reason I wouldn't be fussed about watching Chelsea v Man U : why put yourself through two hours of that when you can just catch the highlights afterwards ??

I am against the monarchy and think it should be abolished (or at the very least downgraded) along with the church of England, with both organisations giving up the majority of the land for public use, while some of it can be sold to fund worthwile causes, the environment and the upkeep of the new greenspace that would be created.
I don't mind there being a king or queen AS LONG AS AND ONLY IF their power is diluted a la Holland, Spain, Denmark.
I get the argument that it brings in tourism dollars, but when she's changing the laws of the land to suit her cause then that's an abuse of power and the sheer amount of money and land that both the queen and the church have is beyond obscene, especially for two bodies supposedly there to serve the people of this nation.

I respect Harry for what he's done : it shows he's strong enough to be his own man and it must've been very difficult to do what he and Meghan have done, knowing millions of people will hate them both. He probably figures an equal number would've hated them if they'd toed the line so what the hell ..

I'm actually embarrassed to be "British" at the moment - though I never call myself that anyway.
We're a laughing stock in Europe and not taken seriously as a "world power".
I sometimes think that the only reason we've ever been as successful as we were is because we're an island nation - it's definitely informed our national psyche, but I think it's also been a very, very lucky cloak at times to hide what we really are.
I used to think we were the most tolerant, welcoming nation on earth, embracing the Empire as we evolved in to a gloriously colourful melting pot of the best bits from around the world. London had something like 270 languages in daily use about 30 years ago when I was studying Human Geography at St.Mary's on the Mile End Road.
Now somedays the only one I hear is that of hate and that makes me incredibly sad.

Time for the walls to come down and to share everything we have before it's too late ..
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

They’ve made their bed so let them lie in it.....cut off all state funded cash and leave them to it.....their choice. British royalty & Americans should never get together look at Edward V111. I too am a royalist but dread to think what the spin will be on this. Apparently advertising revenue is in the millions. Always liked Oprah but fear my stance on her will change dramatically.
Winner of the Europa League
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Does anybody else think that Oprah looks like Ian Wright doing an impression of Mrs Doubtfire?
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I will not be watching it. After all, they place great importance on their privacy.

PS I have never been embarrassed to be British (English) and never will be. The only laughter coming from Europe is nervous laughter.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Like Rigger, I won’t watch the whole thing, just see the ‘highlights’ on the news.

I’m no royalist, can’t stand the vast majority of them, but I did have a bit of time for Harry, principally for his work in the armed forces and setting up the Invictus games which I really enjoy. I don’t blame him one bit for what he’s done, if I had a chance to get away from that lot with a stunning woman like her I’d probably do the same, but I do think it’s a bit much claiming you want privacy etc, then doing the exact opposite, carrying out a major interview which they know will be watched by millions of people worldwide.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote: carrying out a major interview which they know will be watched by millions of people worldwide.
And of course not doing it for the money :crazy:

Harry seems ok but think he's like an immature bloke led through life by a a powerful women.
Don't trust her at all, she is using him for her own publicity bandwagon, she wants to be centre of attention and could never be that as a royal so she is using Harry.

Watch this space it will end in divorce and Harry will creep back in the back door.
I'd put money on it.

Won't be watching.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

From the countries point of view I think having a royal family is a good thing and believe the evidence that it generates significantly more for the economy than it costs.

An article from 2019 pre-covid times-

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/they-cost ... much-more/
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote: Don't trust her at all, she is using him for her own publicity bandwagon, she wants to be centre of attention and could never be that as a royal so she is using Harry.

Watch this space it will end in divorce and Harry will creep back in the back door.
I'd put money on it.
That's pure speculation because you can't possibly know that.
Why do you feel that way anyway ??
Selby White wrote: From the countries point of view I think having a royal family is a good thing and believe the evidence that it generates significantly more for the economy than it costs.
Again, nobody knows for certain if that's true as they've always been there - here's a report with a different outlook :
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 45436.html

The report talks of business and income that may well be displaced by something like a royal wedding or jubilee. In the same way thousands will visit a country for a World Cup, thousands will also stay away and has been demonstrated by various studies, hosting something like that or an Olympic Games is typically a break-even or negligible difference scenario economically : the true gain is the feelgood factor in politics. Wilson said "England only ever win The World Cup under a Labour government" didn't he ?

Anyway the last para sums it up for me :
In the end, the question of whether the Royal Family is worth it, or not, is probably less a financial question than a political, moral and aesthetic one.
I think you all know where I stand on that one .. it's not the middle ages, after all.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote: carrying out a major interview which they know will be watched by millions of people worldwide.
And of course not doing it for the money :crazy:

Harry seems ok but think he's like an immature bloke led through life by a a powerful women.
Don't trust her at all, she is using him for her own publicity bandwagon, she wants to be centre of attention and could never be that as a royal so she is using Harry.

I'd put money on it.

Won't be watching.
Would think your forecast of the future is spot on SW.
I once played against Don Revie.