This documentary

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: This documentary

Post by johnh »

Sniffer wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
Frankie wrote:Thanks for this reply rigger. I support you words and your sentiment.

I admit, I generally tell myself 'don't go there' in such debates on here these days, but I have to admit I was quite alarmed at some of the takes on this subject, that I read on here.

Why are good people on here taking part in the degradation of two other good people??? Why?

The misogyny and often racism aimed at Meghan Markle in this country is shameful. And Harry deserves to be allowed to be happy as someone who has been quite open about his personal struggles.
I am glad they had the courage to leave and make their own life away from here.

Who are we all to judge these people ?
How do we call our country Great Britain when there is so much intolerance towards others?

We teach our children to be kind and to care, we should show them the way.
Tbf the 'Great' part is founded in misguided ideals of superiority, born from colonialism, and therefore racism.
The land mass that contains most of England, Wales and Scotland is the largest of the British Isles, hence Great.
Exactly Sniffer. Sadly, the facts don't fit the narrative.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

johnh wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
Frankie wrote:Thanks for this reply rigger. I support you words and your sentiment.

I admit, I generally tell myself 'don't go there' in such debates on here these days, but I have to admit I was quite alarmed at some of the takes on this subject, that I read on here.

Why are good people on here taking part in the degradation of two other good people??? Why?

The misogyny and often racism aimed at Meghan Markle in this country is shameful. And Harry deserves to be allowed to be happy as someone who has been quite open about his personal struggles.
I am glad they had the courage to leave and make their own life away from here.

Who are we all to judge these people ?
How do we call our country Great Britain when there is so much intolerance towards others?

We teach our children to be kind and to care, we should show them the way.
Tbf the 'Great' part is founded in misguided ideals of superiority, born from colonialism, and therefore racism.
The land mass that contains most of England, Wales and Scotland is the largest of the British Isles, hence Great.
Exactly Sniffer. Sadly, the facts don't fit the narrative.

And this narrative:

"Make Britain Great Again" was unsuccessfully used to get the Conservative party back into power in the 1950 general election.

'I'll make Britain great again', PM Johnson says, echoing Trump
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Frankie, you do seem to dislike the country you live in. Sad really. I am always grateful that I was born in Great Britain, there are lots of worse places to be born in.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

johnh wrote:Frankie, you do seem to dislike the country you live in. Sad really. I am always grateful that I was born in Great Britain, there are lots of worse places to be born in.
You assume wrongly.

I love my country, but I am not complacent about it. I see the things from the past that were good, but I also see things about the past that were wrong and some that were very wrong.

I see so many good things about my country as it is now, but I also see the things that I find unacceptable and that I believe need to change, especially in more recent years.

Patriotism is not just about flag waving and 'following the leader'. Patriotism for me and for many, many other people, is about caring about the people, how they live and how they are treated. Patriotism is about ensuring everyone has a good quality of life and is not subjected to prejudice, intolerance, racism, hatred or bigotry etc. Patriotism is about caring that people do not suffer homelessness, poverty, and degradation. We live in a wealthy country, the suffering that so many have to endure is a political choice and nothing do with economic constraint.

Today I drove to work to a school, along the A38 in Derby. The edge of this dual carriageway is always littered with people's throw aways. I wonder how many of them call themselves patriots as they chuck their MacDonald's rubbish out of their car window? The road signs are old and faded, through neglect...I care about that.

I care about the lack of investment in our infrastructure. I care about our NHS, our roads, our public services, about poorly paid key workers, about so many things. I care about the fact that so many people now have to use foodbanks - that is a national disgrace.

I care about the fact that we continue to build on farm land, when we should be being more self sufficient. I care that we have been chopping down so many trees in the last few years.

I could go on, but it would take so long to explain how much I care about my country.

I care about my country and for you to suggest otherwise speaks only of you not me.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

That's a nice post Frankie and of course all the things you've said are things to be aspired to, but I can't help thinking that the responsibility for a lot of it lies with the individual. The government can't 'ensure' that 'everyone' has a good quality of life because not everyone makes the right decisions and choices that lead to it. I really believe that every child born in this country, notwithstanding those being neglected or abused in the home (which again is the responsibility of the individuals, not government) has the opportunity to make a good life for themselves if they really want to, regardless of race, gender, sexuality etc. They are all given an education and opportunities following it; sadly not everyone takes them or is capable of taking them.
I will accept that road signs are the responsibility of the authorities though!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Frankie wrote:
johnh wrote:Frankie, you do seem to dislike the country you live in. Sad really. I am always grateful that I was born in Great Britain, there are lots of worse places to be born in.
You assume wrongly.

I love my country, but I am not complacent about it. I see the things from the past that were good, but I also see things about the past that were wrong and some that were very wrong.

I see so many good things about my country as it is now, but I also see the things that I find unacceptable and that I believe need to change, especially in more recent years.

Patriotism is not just about flag waving and 'following the leader'. Patriotism for me and for many, many other people, is about caring about the people, how they live and how they are treated. Patriotism is about ensuring everyone has a good quality of life and is not subjected to prejudice, intolerance, racism, hatred or bigotry etc. Patriotism is about caring that people do not suffer homelessness, poverty, and degradation. We live in a wealthy country, the suffering that so many have to endure is a political choice and nothing do with economic constraint.

Today I drove to work to a school, along the A38 in Derby. The edge of this dual carriageway is always littered with people's throw aways. I wonder how many of them call themselves patriots as they chuck their MacDonald's rubbish out of their car window? The road signs are old and faded, through neglect...I care about that.

I care about the lack of investment in our infrastructure. I care about our NHS, our roads, our public services, about poorly paid key workers, about so many things. I care about the fact that so many people now have to use foodbanks - that is a national disgrace.

I care about the fact that we continue to build on farm land, when we should be being more self sufficient. I care that we have been chopping down so many trees in the last few years.

I could go on, but it would take so long to explain how much I care about my country.

I care about my country and for you to suggest otherwise speaks only of you not me.
Yet you mock politicians who declare their objective is to 'make Britain great again'. :shock:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Hi all, I'd like to suggest we close this thread, is anyone opposed to that? I think it has run its course, and that is said with no disrespect to anyone :)
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Hi all, I'd like to suggest we close this thread, is anyone opposed to that? I think it has run its course, and that is said with no disrespect to anyone :)
Good idea. :thumbup:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Wigan White wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Hi all, I'd like to suggest we close this thread, is anyone opposed to that? I think it has run its course, and that is said with no disrespect to anyone :)
Good idea. :thumbup:
Thank you 8-)