2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: 2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just finking out loud here but with no money getting spent this window might suggest that maybe Radz is selling up at the end of the season & he’s not going to put anyone money into the squad. Makes a lot of sense to me & makes sense why we’re spending nowt. Back into me box now…
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Just finking out loud here but with no money getting spent this window might suggest that maybe Radz is selling up at the end of the season & he’s not going to put anyone money into the squad. Makes a lot of sense to me & makes sense why we’re spending nowt. Back into me box now…
It does make a lot sense, yes, but that could backfire massively if we do go down. Obviously, he will get nowhere near the value the club is worth in the Premier League.

I don’t think we will get relegated, but if we do many will look back on the lack of activity in this transfer window.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Barlow Boy wrote: It does make a lot sense, yes, but that could backfire massively if we do go down. Obviously, he will get nowhere near the value the club is worth in the Premier League.

I don’t think we will get relegated, but if we do many will look back on the lack of activity in this transfer window.
I can’t see any other reason monies not getting spent. Yes it’s a gamble but with the return of Phillips, Bamford, Forshaw, Firpo, Coops et al they’ll be like new signings. I’m disappointed we’ve no one new coming in but we do have several players coming back & given we all know Bielsa likes to work with a small squad it adds up. Finally any player coming in how long would it take to get him where the manager wants ?
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote: It does make a lot sense, yes, but that could backfire massively if we do go down. Obviously, he will get nowhere near the value the club is worth in the Premier League.

I can’t see any other reason monies not getting spent. Yes it’s a gamble but with the return of Phillips, Bamford, Forshaw, Firpo, Coops et al they’ll be like new signings. I’m disappointed we’ve no one new coming in but we do have several players coming back & given we all know Bielsa likes to work with a small squad it adds up. Finally any player coming in how long would it take to get him where the manager wants ?
As I say, I don’t think we will go down. I think we will be relatively comfortable once, as you say, we get the players back.

However, in my opinion, there would be no harm in getting a Cantwell, Lingard type player in. It’s not as if it’s massive money in comparison to Premier League income, especially on loan deals.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

NottinghamWhite wrote:

We've had 31 days and beyond to at least do something. Personally, I'm very annoyed with both VO and MB. The players you mentioned are not all guaranteed to be back. Bamford is an example of that. Big gamble to take, let's hope it doesn't backfire on us
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
I don't even think we will finish in the bottom six but everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure those that believe we ae desperate for signings will rightfully remind us what they said if I'm wrong and we go down.

Personally I'm not a believer that just because we have a transfer window that it means you must spend.

Three important things when it comes to these windows -
1. We don't lose any key players. We know about the potential the Raph & Kalvin bids so be glad when the window closes and they are still here (I'll add IMHO such as Meslier, Bamford, Llorente, Koch & Struijk as ones i consider key and part of trying to build).
2. If we do sign for me I want it to be players that would be key players. I liked the Aaronson bid, not a expert on him but given the level he's playing at suspect he would become become key. All the other rumours/suggestions to me the jury would be out as to whether they would improve us, all would be gambles some of which may pay off and some wouldn't.
3. We continue to strengthen with talented youngsters (we did sign Fernandez) as we need to build as we wont match the big boys in spending obscene amounts. This should be our long term plan, it pleases me.

We've seen seen a number of 18/19 year olds get opportunities this season and most have done well, although at that age I doubt starting week in and week out they would maintain consistency but occasional opportunities due to injury or cameo roles to aid development is good.
Do we really want to push such as Gelhardt, Bate, Hjelde, Greenwood back down the pecking order now they have had a taste. Their appearances should increase as their development continues.

Just my opinion and of course everyone else is entitled to theirs. The proof as they say will be in the pudding.

Just to add i think our injuries is a significant reason we've struggled at times but in the same breath allowed us a look at the future.
Lets remember not too many 18/19 year olds establish themselves at top level (there are exceptions), for most its in their early 20's so these kids have potentially 2 to 3 years of improvement yet are not too far away now. Just pleased we've got a top coach to guide them.

Just a question ?
Where does everyone think West Ham would be if they had long term injuries to Rice, Antonio & 4 first choice CB's ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

My line of thinking is that if you agree to sell your house in 3 months time & shake on a price of £250,000 then the vendor isn’t going to put a new kitchen in costing £10,000 is he ? I know it’s probably bull but why else haven’t we invested ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:My line of thinking is that if you agree to sell your house in 3 months time & shake on a price of £250,000 then the vendor isn’t going to put a new kitchen in costing £10,000 is he ? I know it’s probably bull but why else haven’t we invested ?
It was confirmed by Red Bull so we did actually bid a decent amount for Aaronson, not sure we would have if that was the case.
Just looking for it from that direction.

Who knows ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

We clearly need players.

Ramsey just gone to Ranger, Alli to Everton. What are we doing?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The Squirrel wrote:We clearly need players.

Ramsey just gone to Ranger, Alli to Everton. What are we doing?
On here most of us are whingeing.

Ramsey and Alli both will be on huge wages, higher than the majority of our squad, so signing them would cause ructions amongst the players as well as go against the budget. Same with Lingard I'm guessing.