2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2021 - 2022 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Metro1962 wrote:James was going to Leeds once before for 2 million it did not go to plan,The other team stepped in with 18 million and got him so my question is......

Why are they selling him for 30 million to a rival Leeds Utd? :crazy:
You need to explain the £2 million part :thumbup:

They are selling him because they have spent massively recently and feel they can get a good price for him.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Metro1962 wrote:James was going to Leeds once before for 2 million it did not go to plan,The other team stepped in with 18 million and got him so my question is......

Why are they selling him for 30 million to a rival Leeds Utd? :crazy:
Er.......CR7?
and Jadon Sancho.

Man Utd signed James 6 months after Swansea backed out of our deal.

His value has gone up because he was a Championship player back then, he's since featured 50 times in Prem & European games.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Selby White wrote:...His value has gone up because he was a Championship player back then, he's since featured 50 times in Prem & European games.
I see it this way too.

Value went up by 7 million because of 2 years experience. Yes, some believe it's overpriced, but Manure are a business, so it's reasonable for them to up his value based on 50+ PL and European appearances.

If we pay the additional £5m in add-ons, it will be because he has performed and reached pre-defined goals, thus proving a wise purchase (to be proven yet of course ;) )
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
West beach white
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by West beach white »

Davycc wrote:James here and shines, Ronaldo to scum and can't hack the Prem anymore (and they have him until he's 41 )

perfect scenario :D

Someone mentioned moving JH into the attacking midfield ... could be a good call.
I don’t see JH as a good option as a #10, but could potentially see him a class LB
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
You need to explain the £2 million part :thumbup:

They are selling him because they have spent massively recently and feel they can get a good price for him.
Apologies suppose to type £8million :lol:

PhoenixUnited wrote: Er.......CR7?
I do not go with that one,Selling James because of Ronaldo coming in does not sit right with me.

I am just happy we Got James and NOT Ronaldo :lol: as that is solely a PR thing to sell shirts/merchandise but 30 million for me is just a bit steep.

Seems Costa is off to Valencia.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

I don't think MB will have signed Dan James to be on the bench, I think he will play in a three behind Bamford. I think both James and Raph can drop into a central role maybe even Harrison. So having slept on it I'm quite excited about the move and if I was a defender I would no relish the thought of that front line running at me.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Having seen some of the posts regarding his value etc from both sides I'm still swaying towards it being too much to pay for James, however, I do see why with him being young, british, played in the PL/European cups etc. Assuming James ends up being a brilliant signing (which I do want btw, I'd rather see him succeed and for me to have egg on my face), how on earth can a buy back of £55m be good business - if this ends up being true but saw this from Fabrizio Romano yesterday who generally is right with transfers/details etc
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

"The club are reporting the deal will run until the summer of 2026 and joins for an undisclosed fee"

So where does the £25 million fit in?
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Weren't we in for Dan James for 12m originally? So he's gone from 12m - 18m - 25m+ inside two years.

I am still unconvinced about the price tag and am not sure that he's that much better than when we were originally in for him, I'm just worried we're going to have another one dimensional winger who is maybe/maybe not good enough on our hands but at double the cost of what we would have originally paid, or what Costa cost us (give or take with the addons). It doesn't feel like good business at the moment and the fact that it's Man Utd that are receiving the cash just makes it feel worse.

I was hoping we'd get a pleasant surprise before the end of the window, I was just hoping it was going to be in centre-midfield, not on the wing.

Overall I'm more positive than negative about the summer transfer window - the work done for the u23s has been fantastic, Firpo and Harrison were excellent deals for the first team, and we've not sold anyone that we didn't want to lose. I just wish the 25m+ spent on Dan James had gone on a more creative 8/10 - we need a way to unlock low blocks and 10 man defenses, and I am not sure we've got a more creative option in the middle of the park when we need it. If physicality won't unlock the opposition have we got the guile to do it? Rhetorical question, in the middle of the park we don't have it and that's the one thing I was really hoping this window would fix, and it hasn't, so naturally I am a little disappointed about that.

It's obviously been a tough market behind the scenes this year, with valuations all over the place, we've Brexit impacts, pandemic impacts, the Euros - all in all, it's probably proved much harder than Orta had hoped to navigate the market this summer and that's probably contributed to why we didn't sort out the CM issue - how different the window might have looked if we'd got one of our targets in, who knows how close we got to some other targets alongside the Conor Gallagher disappointment.