First flight

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: First flight

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Done a few helicopter flights from Penzance to St Mary’s. A 20 minute (noisy) flight. Was happier on that than a little ‘copter.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nothing spectacular for me family holiday to Benidorm when I was about 11 years old, think we flew from East Midlands to Alicante.

1st time abroad for both me and my parents.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

On the rare occasion I left Ireland in my childhood, it was to play a football tour in London (twice), but went by Ferry from Rosslare to Fishguard.

So first flight wasn't until October 1996, Dublin to Leeds/Bradford, first Leeds match attended, to see Rod Wallace beat Forest 2-0 at ER :D

5-2-3
Nigel Martyn
David Wetherall, Andrew Couzens, Richard Jobson, Gary Kelly, Lucas Radebe
Lee Sharpe, Mark Ford
Mark Hateley, Rod Wallace, Ian Rush.
Subs: Tony Dorigo for Couzens, Mark Jackson for Rush

First long-haul was just 2 worrying weeks after 9/11 - London to Bangkok. Start of a 6 month trek around South-East Asia/Australia/New Zealand/Fiji
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

1987 Manchester to Sydney for a wedding (thankfully not mine), flew with Air India. Got there in one piece but the return trip home was 30 hours delayed. 12 hours in Sydney, saw Kings Cross for the first time and for a 17 yr old it was quite a sight i can tell you then 18 hours in what was called in those days Bombay. Air India put us up in a hotel which would have rated -5 stars with blood on the walls. The trip to the hotel was such an eye opener as horns were blasting all the way, dead bodies in the street whilst sat next to a really attractive young German girl. Crazy flight!!!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

kk white wrote:
First long-haul was just 2 worrying weeks after 9/11 - London to Bangkok. Start of a 6 month trek around South-East Asia/Australia/New Zealand/Fiji
Wow am jealous that’s some trip. Something to tell your grandkids about ;)
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Was lucky once to get bumped up to Business Class, what a difference with proper plates, knifes and forks, cold decent wine, loads of legroom and so much space. It spoilt any future flights as I boarded , turned right but always with an envious look left.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Was lucky once to get bumped up to Business Class, what a difference with proper plates, knifes and forks, cold decent wine, loads of legroom and so much space. It spoilt any future flights as I boarded , turned right but always with an envious look left.
Never done Business Class and find it irritating when you have to walk through it and see how the other half live, jealous I am.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Was lucky once to get bumped up to Business Class, what a difference with proper plates, knifes and forks, cold decent wine, loads of legroom and so much space. It spoilt any future flights as I boarded , turned right but always with an envious look left.
Never done Business Class and find it irritating when you have to walk through it and see how the other half live, jealous I am.

We were bumped up once flying to the Caribbean it’s a different world it really is. Mind I think everyone else in Business were BA staff from what we could make out. We were going on a cruise once in south east Asia & I enquired about upgrading & the cost was 1:5 times more than the actual cruise :roll:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not my first flight but when I toured Cuba we had a couple of days in Havana before taking a internal flight to the other end of the country (Santiago de Cuba) and then spending two weeks touring by coach back to the Capitol.
Anyway the internal flight was not from the main airport but what looked like a deserted airfield with a big tin hut. As we entered the tin hut was one bloke sat at a desk with a queue of people which we joined.
We eventually got to the front where he checked us in and gave us our boarding passes which to our shock was a piece of paper which he hand wrote a seat number on and signed it.
He pointed us to a door to go through which was the boarding lounge and had a coffee bar so we decided to have a drink. However was nobody serving at first but eventually once everyone had checked in a bloke turned up. It was the same bloke that had issued the boarding passes but we got our drinks.
Eventually the bloke behind the coffee bar shouted it was time to board and pointed us to another door where we formed another queue until he walked from behind the bar and checked us through it and onto the plane. Is this the worlds only single manned airport :shock:

A final bit the hand written boarding passes don't work as I had been allocated the same number as someone else but fortunately the seat behind was free so sat there.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

We had a similar experience when we were in Quito & we’re doing an internal flight. We queued at the desk & then were ushered through to what was like a port a cabin where there was 2 x litre bottles of fizzy orange & Pepsi. When our flight was about to be called for boarding 2 armed security guards came in & asked that we follow then to the aircraft. We were taken through the terminal & without any other checks taken to the aircraft & our seats. It was a totally bizarre experience. I still remember there was a large sign that said it was illegal to fire a gun in the terminal :roll: