First flight

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

First flight

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Where did you go from to on your first flight. Me it was Eastleigh to Alderney in the Channel Islands. It was on a Islander aircraft where they weighed you before you were given a seat number. Pretty sure the maximum passengers was 8:& the flight was about 15 minutes duration.

First flight of any length was Birmingham International to Kos.

First long haul was Heathrow to Cape Town which overnight so you slept most of the way.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: First flight

Post by ChilwellWhite »

East Midlands Airport to Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

First flight was Belfast to Germany many many years ago. I believe it was to Bielefeld Airport but may be wrong. I was with my parents travelling to Rinteln. It would have been around 1978 and have no clue what aircraft it was.
NottinghamWhite wrote:It was on a Islander aircraft
Just as an aside we maintain 2 Islanders. Ideal aircraft for short runways etc.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Davycc wrote:
Just as an aside we maintain 2 Islanders. Ideal aircraft for short runways etc.
When I flew out of Eastleigh it was virtually a hut. Imagine my surprise when 2 years ago we were told the cheapest way of getting to the Rose Bowl ( cricket ground ) was to get off at Eastleigh Airport station imagine my amazement to see that the hut is now an international airport. On the Islanders on a couple of occasions I got to ride shotgun next to old Biggles. :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Where did you go from to on your first flight. Me it was Eastleigh to Alderney in the Channel Islands. It was on a Islander aircraft where they weighed you before you were given a seat number. Pretty sure the maximum passengers was 8:& the flight was about 15 minutes duration.
NW, think it must have been more than 15 minutes. I once flew to Jersey from Heathrow (passenger jet) and they served breakfast!.

My first flight:

Flew out of Blackbush to Singapore. Hermes four engine (propeller), about 60 passengers and the flight duration was 5 days. (March 1955)
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Yeah maybe it was about 40 minutes thinking back I know it wasn’t that long.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

First flight was in summer of 1976 from Manchester to Toronto on a Laker Airways DC10.

Second flight was later the same day from Toronto to Thunder Bay on an Air Canada DC9.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Apart from a brief helicopter trip which scared me witless, my first proper flight was from Heathrow to Sydney 30 years ago. It took about 24 hours with changeovers at Mumbai and Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. First flight and I have a seat at the front. The nice Indian Airlines lady sat in the seat opposite me and smiled which eased my nerves a bit, but as the plane started picking up speed on the runway she started frantically crossing herself and praying. The look of utmost fear in her eyes must have been mirrored in my own because when the plane levelled out she gave a nervous laugh towards me before she went about her duties.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Sniffer wrote:Apart from a brief helicopter trip which scared me witless, my first proper flight was from Heathrow to Sydney 30 years ago. It took about 24 hours with changeovers at Mumbai and Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. First flight and I have a seat at the front. The nice Indian Airlines lady sat in the seat opposite me and smiled which eased my nerves a bit, but as the plane started picking up speed on the runway she started frantically crossing herself and praying. The look of utmost fear in her eyes must have been mirrored in my own because when the plane levelled out she gave a nervous laugh towards me before she went about her duties.
That reminded me. I was in Geneva on business and I finished earlier than scheduled. My return flight was a few hours away so I went to the desk to change flights. There
was an Air Iran flight leaving very soon so I switched to that. We took off and had been flying for about 30 minutes. Seat belt lights were still on. A young stewardess (who looked about 15 years old) came down the central aisle. An American guy, wearing a big stetson, was sitting in front of me and he stopped the stewardess and asked why the seat belt light was still on. In very broken English the stewardess said 'eet is in case ze plane crashes'. Deflated American guy.
Last edited by johnh on 30 Jun 2021, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
I once played against Don Revie.
bc grinner
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by bc grinner »

First flight was in my uncle’s old Cessna bush plane. He would take-off and land in a summer fallow wheat field across the road from my grandfather’s farm in rural North Dakota.