Tokyo 2021

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Tokyo 2021

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
The Fonz wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:So today I decided that it was no good paying so little attention to the Olympics and decided to tune in and watch some of the proceedings and took in Shooting :shock: :wtf:

There is NOTHING to see! Some men and women with guns pointing them into the distance. That is It! The commentator tells you that a target has been hit but you have to take their word for it that a puff of pink smoke is a hit.....

Watching the leaves come off a tree in the breeze is more exciting........
Cant say shooting would be my choice to watch, clearly not for spectators but still has its skills.
Plenty of sports are a great watch though, can only imagine how much work competitors put in just to qualify as never played anything above local level.
Don't get me wrong. I am full of admiration for the dedication, skill, talent and ability of ALL the competitors. My point was that some of these things are a good spectator sport whereas others are not. I'll pick better next time :D
Agree love watching some sports that I don't usually see and as you both say shooting isn't one.
Cant get into the Yachting or dancing horses either.
Actually enjoyed the skateboarding although don't really see it as a sport.
Mountain bikes were a good watch also, Leeds lad was class.
Wish I'd gone to the Olympics back in 2012 London, regretted not doing so.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Love target shooting and would watch others on the range when I'm there but as for watching it on the telly, not for me either. Definitely a participation sport not a spectator one.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Football, Hockey & 7's Rugby, forget the rest!

Bring back the cricket :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Why do Mexico not do very well in the Olympics? Its because anyone who can run, swim or jump is already in the US.
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Bit late in the day but I do wish that, in the middle all that blabbing and replays to fill in time, the BBC would give some indication of timings of the various events so that you can plan your watching schedule............ :evil:
Keep The Faith / WAL
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Was just looking at a report on the Olympic funding for various sports. Many sports/events getting in the region of £25m. Reminded me of when I played in a trial match for the GB team for the 1960 Rome Olympics. When I received my invitation, I went to see my boss and asked him what the arrangements would be if I was selected and away for 3 or 4 weeks. He said he would check with Head Office. A few days later, he told me that I would have to take unpaid leave. I wasn't good enough so wasn't selected, but even if I had been I wouldn't have been able to go. Just married, a big mortgage and no savings, couldn't afford a month without pay.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

johnh wrote:Was just looking at a report on the Olympic funding for various sports. Many sports/events getting in the region of £25m. Reminded me of when I played in a trial match for the GB team for the 1960 Rome Olympics. When I received my invitation, I went to see my boss and asked him what the arrangements would be if I was selected and away for 3 or 4 weeks. He said he would check with Head Office. A few days later, he told me that I would have to take unpaid leave. I wasn't good enough so wasn't selected, but even if I had been I wouldn't have been able to go. Just married, a big mortgage and no savings, couldn't afford a month without pay.
Yes times have changed that is for sure, think most of the cash is down to lottery funding.

Be interested to hear about your trial, was it a genuine GB team including Scottish, Welsh & Northern Irish players or just English?

How did you get selected?
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

The Fonz wrote:
johnh wrote:Was just looking at a report on the Olympic funding for various sports. Many sports/events getting in the region of £25m. Reminded me of when I played in a trial match for the GB team for the 1960 Rome Olympics. When I received my invitation, I went to see my boss and asked him what the arrangements would be if I was selected and away for 3 or 4 weeks. He said he would check with Head Office. A few days later, he told me that I would have to take unpaid leave. I wasn't good enough so wasn't selected, but even if I had been I wouldn't have been able to go. Just married, a big mortgage and no savings, couldn't afford a month without pay.
Yes times have changed that is for sure, think most of the cash is down to lottery funding.

Be interested to hear about your trial, was it a genuine GB team including Scottish, Welsh & Northern Irish players or just English?

Yes agree with this, so John please tell us more
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The Fonz wrote:

There were a series of trial matches which included Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland players. I played for the North of England against Stockport County. Our goalie was Bob Wilson who went on to play for Arsenal. He was at Loughborough College at the time. The centre-half spot ended up with Laurie Brown who went on to play for Spurs. I have no idea how I was selected, though I had played for an FA eleven against the Army previously. The invite came from the FA and was signed by Sir Stanley Rous. I still have my copy!