Is it time to move on?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Is it time to move on?

Post by DominanceUK »

I know I'm going to get absolutely crucified by this but it's something I definitely feel needs to be talked about. Is it time for MB to go?

I don't know about the rest of you but after Sat, I felt so dejected, annoyed, deflated. Crazy really when we got a point, away from home against a bogie side. I ought to be delighted but it was daylight robbery.

He's a world class coach as we all know but his tactics this season have been mind-boggling. He has no plan B. His line-ups and positions for players have left me baffled. His subsitutions are always the same. We are so predictable it's untrue.

When teams press us and play with a high tempo we really struggle. We've been great under MB and witnessed some amazing football which mainly came down to our wing play and press, the overload from the full backs. Firpo doesn't overlap, Shacks doesn't. We even had Llorente at RB on Sat and he isn't going to do it. As a result of this you can see the failings in Harrison and to a certain degree, James.

We have been hampered by injuries as we all know but that shouldn't hide the fact that the vast majority of our performances have been woeful. We have played Burnley, Soton and Brighton away and we're fortunate to take 2 points from those games. Read those teams again and then ask yourself how and why are we struggling against them.

Questions for everyone who reads this:

Why is Cooper ahead of Struijk? Struijk and Llorente we're successful in the last 10 games of last season - winning 7
Why are all the subs pretty much the same?
Why are we now playing long balls on the diagnoal when we are not even high up the pitch?
Why are we playing false number 9s in Harrison and James?
Why are we playing Shacks at RB when he ISN'T one (and we have a good one in Drameh), he's a midfielder - try him there

I have many more questions, too.

The transfer window was shocking. MB would've have had a say, why bring in James? He offers us pace and balance because he's a right-footed player. He can run and run which you need to do in a MB side. Letting Alioski go was a terrible decision.

There is a reason why MB hasn't won much in his career because he hasn't got the tactical nous to do so.

It may seem like a rant but it isn't. We have progressed so much under his tenure (for which I'll always love and respect him for) but in order for us to progess further, I believe it's time for a change. 2 huge games coming up for us which we should looking at getting at the very least, 4 points. Get perhaps 1 or 2 or even, lo and behold, none I wonder where people might stand then?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Is it time to move on?

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I'd rather you stayed, Dominance, to be completely honest.

:D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I’ve always thought we would have second season syndrome & we’re having it. We’ve spent £140 million on the squad over the last couple of seasons a lot more that clubs like Norwich, Fulham & WBA did. We have been unlucky with injuries to Paddy, Koch, Firpo, Ayling to name a few these all would be names on the team sheet. Have the squad actually had the time together on the pitch to gel ?

Yes we got lucky on Saturday but I can’t stress enough against a very good team, a team that’s had several seasons to put together a good squad. Bielsa has worked miracles with players I’ll admit I never thought would cut it in the Premiership. Players like Coops, Ayling, Dallas & the now departed Alioski. Forshaw is like a new signing & another player that’s surprising me I know know that clearly MB saw a good player in him.

I believe when the time is right MB will leave Leeds as he will know he’s gone as far as he can. This is a man with no ego so as I say when his times up. Whatever happens this season MB will go down in Leeds United folklore as the manager who turned a team of average Championship players into a Premiership team. Real Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Whilst MB is Leeds I’ll back him 110% because I believe that least I can do to repay him for what he’s done at my club.
Winner of the Europa League
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

1. No thank you very much :D
2. Who do you have in mind that will come in and do a better job :?
Keep The Faith / WAL
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 2. Who do you have in mind that will come in and do a better job :?
That in itself is worthy of its own thread. Marcelo gets the best out of the current squad and replacing his I can several players reverting to being average. Yes I’m only human I’m disappointed with recent results but I also don’t want a return to the management revolving door that a lot of clubs have and we had under a certain Italian owner. I think the great man will retire at the end of this season and when he does it will be a sad day for the owner, the club, the players, the staff and most of all us the fans.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I think all your points are spot on. However Bielsa still has way too many net deposits in my emotional bank account for me to want rid. Every winning team has a strong leader... he is and the cancer of player power is cut as soon as it rears its ugly head. I love KP but if he is getting too big for his Leeds boots I'd be interested to see what Orta and Bielsa do with £100m... hopefully find same/better for half like Leicester do every season!

Last season was a joy as were the two before. Praying we find that form on a more consistent basis and get to mid-table safety.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote: 2. Who do you have in mind that will come in and do a better job :?
That in itself is worthy of its own thread. Marcelo gets the best out of the current squad and replacing his I can several players reverting to being average. Yes I’m only human I’m disappointed with recent results but I also don’t want a return to the management revolving door that a lot of clubs have and we had under a certain Italian owner. I think the great man will retire at the end of this season and when he does it will be a sad day for the owner, the club, the players, the staff and most of all us the fans.
Firstly, no crucifixion risk here Dominance - very well reasoned and balanced post. Not the sort of kneejerk we see all over social media, and contains a lot of points I agree with.

For me, Chilwell's point is a key one. You may be right that Bielsa's in-game management has gone badly wrong, he has no plan B, and there's a risk he is losing the dressing room (which has largely been entirely dedicated to him, but mainly because he gets results, and that's no longer the case). But the counterfactual is that as things stand we have a squad in Bielsa's image, and I can't think of a single manager who would be able to step in and do a better job in the circumstances. Bielsa has earned the right to try to solve these problems.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

No.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

DominanceUK wrote:I know I'm going to get absolutely crucified by this but it's something I definitely feel needs to be talked about. Is it time for MB to go?

I don't know about the rest of you but after Sat, I felt so dejected, annoyed, deflated. Crazy really when we got a point, away from home against a bogie side. I ought to be delighted but it was daylight robbery.

He's a world class coach as we all know but his tactics this season have been mind-boggling. He has no plan B. His line-ups and positions for players have left me baffled. His subsitutions are always the same. We are so predictable it's untrue.

When teams press us and play with a high tempo we really struggle. We've been great under MB and witnessed some amazing football which mainly came down to our wing play and press, the overload from the full backs. Firpo doesn't overlap, Shacks doesn't. We even had Llorente at RB on Sat and he isn't going to do it. As a result of this you can see the failings in Harrison and to a certain degree, James.

We have been hampered by injuries as we all know but that shouldn't hide the fact that the vast majority of our performances have been woeful. We have played Burnley, Soton and Brighton away and we're fortunate to take 2 points from those games. Read those teams again and then ask yourself how and why are we struggling against them.

Questions for everyone who reads this:

Why is Cooper ahead of Struijk? Struijk and Llorente we're successful in the last 10 games of last season - winning 7
Why are all the subs pretty much the same?
Why are we now playing long balls on the diagnoal when we are not even high up the pitch?
Why are we playing false number 9s in Harrison and James?
Why are we playing Shacks at RB when he ISN'T one (and we have a good one in Drameh), he's a midfielder - try him there

I have many more questions, too.

The transfer window was shocking. MB would've have had a say, why bring in James? He offers us pace and balance because he's a right-footed player. He can run and run which you need to do in a MB side. Letting Alioski go was a terrible decision.

There is a reason why MB hasn't won much in his career because he hasn't got the tactical nous to do so.

It may seem like a rant but it isn't. We have progressed so much under his tenure (for which I'll always love and respect him for) but in order for us to progess further, I believe it's time for a change. 2 huge games coming up for us which we should looking at getting at the very least, 4 points. Get perhaps 1 or 2 or even, lo and behold, none I wonder where people might stand then?
Well Dom,
I disagree but do think some of your points are valid.

For one I was a Alioski fan but many weren't and pleased to see him go and dancing in the streets when we signed a fullback from Barcelona. However the fact remains Alioski was offered a contract and choose to move on. I don't know what was in the contract but you can't just keep upping it because the player wants more.

The biggest reason I disagree is that based on history the odds are against us getting anyone better. The issue for me is if this had been last season when we all expected a relegation battle we would have been happy. The fact that we probably over performed last year has left us all a little more ambitious. Swap the seasons around and think most would be happy.

I think you could argue we have gone backwards but sure injuries haven't helped, neither as players such as Kalvin & Raph becoming international and not getting the rest to recharge their batteries.

I know you mentioned signings but personally I like James but that is a different debate. I actually believe in MBs time here everything has been geared to building the complete Club alot of our investment as been to academy players, weve seen the U23s get back to back promotions. We've already seen players filter through such as Meslier & Struijk to become regulars. On that note I'll point out you got one fact wrong although Struijk partnered Llorent in some of our last 10 games Cooper actually played in 5 of them (injured for one & suspended for 3). Struijk played alongside LLorente in the one we lost at Brighton.
Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Struijk and believe he has a big future.

Can't see Shackleton making it in midfield at a top Club and think other than Saturday he's actually justified his place at fullback, Drameh is good but not ready in my view.

Think that is the issue for me the step up from U23s games to the intensity of Prem League is a lot harder than we sometimes think. However I think Gelhardt is about there and believe he will be used and filtered in, lets see on that one. Others will follow over the next 2/3 years as and when ready, initially they will train with the first eam, then travel with the first team, get the odd run (seeing that now with the likes of Cresswell, Summerville, Drameh, McCarron, McKinstry etc).
Must remember these kids are teenagers and very few reach regular premier level until 21/22 these days, of course their are exceptions but not masses.
My point I want MB to see the job through, the transition of replacing those that have done a job with those now coming through.

"There is a reason why MB hasn't won much in his career because he hasn't got the tactical nous to do so."

Often seen quoted but going disagree completely to your reason why.

First my reading of the person is that to him its all about improving teams not collecting trophies, hence he's managed lower Clubs and improved them (his measure of success). Nowadays if you want a CV full of honours its purely about managing Clubs with the biggest spending power in their league. Big four here, maybe Celtic, Ajax, Barca or the Madrids, Benfica or Porto, etc.

Respect your thought Dom, often agree with you but not on this, good debate though. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.