Gianluca Festa to join coaching team under McDermott

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Gianluca Festa to join coaching team under McDermott

Post by Aces »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Dawson may go the same way the Josh Falkingham went and go to a club in the lower leagues or even a club up here in Scotland.

Having seen Falkingham play for Arbroath and now Dunfermline over the last 3 years he is always snapping away at the others teams midfielders and does have any eye for the goal as well.

As an aside Dunfermline offered him an new deal for next season but he has turned it down so have no idea where he will be heading.
I think with players like Dawson, we need to be signing them up on 5 year contracts and then farming them out to other clubs, so they gain experience and build up strength and fitness. We don't want to lose anymore young players with potential, especially before we find out if the are the real deal or not.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I worry that after the takeover, our academy will be downgraded as we look to import more players from overseas instead. A friend with contacts within the club has told me that the Academy staff are very worried about their future on account of what they have heard about the direction the club is likely to follow in the future. So sadly I think there is a chance that many talented young players we have like Dawson may never get the chance to break into the first team. I hope I am wrong, and I know we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

ISR, I have seen Dawson play for the first team, and I've seen Mowatt play for the first team, and we all know how it went for both of them. Mowatt from the off showed more quality, in the first team. Dawson clearly is a cut above the rest of the reserves or whatever they're called now, but it doesn't mean he's ready to replace Mowatt or Murphy or whoever. You mention that I trust BMcD's judgement but you don't - he has a team of coaches and managers doesn't he? I trust them all to decide what is best for the team and for sub selection, it's their opinions that matter and their opinions naturally are more relevant than mine.

And you mention that Festa has seen something in Dawson, but that isn't saying much either way is it? and that Warnock saw something in him too, this is Warnock who practically everyone seems to think is substandard in everything related to management :P And he dropped Dawson too didn't he? So it's not really a valid point. I just don't think Dawson is ready yet, and my opinion is based solely on the professional coaches' and managers' at the club. No attitude from me either mate, I just don't see why my comment was worth arguing :D
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

We have both seen Dawson play once, as has Festa. My point I guess is two fold 1. Culturally our emphasis on the physical development over ability. 2. Actually not recognising what's under our noses. Radeabe was hardly played by Wilko until he had an outstanding African cup of Nations & then he wasn't an automatic choice at Centre back - George Graham immediately installed @ Centre Half. On promotion to Manager - O'Leary immediately promoted Woodgate - I am sure Graham was aware of his talent but might have delayed a couple of seasons before promoting over Molenar & Wetherall.

As a follow up point in terms of BMc's judgement - I'm not so sure - I understand he has fallen our with our best Centre Half in Zalikus?? & he doesn't really rate Dawson. He may be right in both cases, we will see when the new manager comes in.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

isrodger wrote:& he doesn't really rate Dawson
He's a 19 year old, why does him not being involved in the first team now mean the manager doesn't rate him, as an absolute statement? Maybe he genuinely isn't good enough (yet), just like most kids playing there aren't. And if really doesn't rate him, why would we know better than him? We thought Mowatt was the best thing since sliced bread when he came in, but even he's stopped making an impact in the games he does play. Loads of players currently in the youth side have been praised for at least 2 years for how much potential they have, but there's a reason only one or two make the step up every season - they're just not good enough to make the grade. Focus only shifts to them when the first team starts having a rough patch, but the truth is forcing them into the team is highly unlikely of making the smallest difference.
Pecky10
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Pecky10 »

I'm pretty sure Dawson has been captain of the Under 21s most of the season, which suggests that the club management do rate him and want to develop him; he just still looks like he should be in the Under 12s!
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Bogdan wrote:
He's a 19 year old, why does him not being involved in the first team now mean the manager doesn't rate him, as an absolute statement? Maybe he genuinely isn't good enough (yet), just like most kids playing there aren't. And if really doesn't rate him, why would we know better than him? We thought Mowatt was the best thing since sliced bread when he came in, but even he's stopped making an impact in the games he does play. Loads of players currently in the youth side have been praised for at least 2 years for how much potential they have, but there's a reason only one or two make the step up every season - they're just not good enough to make the grade. Focus only shifts to them when the first team starts having a rough patch, but the truth is forcing them into the team is highly unlikely of making the smallest difference.
If BM really rated Dawson he would play him, 19 is not a kid. Why wouldn't we know better than BM?

I understand why some fans believe Managers and Coaches know best, I just don't share that opinion. Most managers and Coaches are sacked and unsuccessful because their opinions were wrong.
I could argue if BM is such a good judge of players why the hell is Hunt playing for Leeds :lol:
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

Bogdan wrote:
In terms of him rating him - i'm sure we there were some comments possibly attributed to Dawson's father stating BMc doesn't really rate him. Someone ITK at Thorpe arch - similar to the comment re the row with Zakilukas. Regardless - He may be good, bad or indifferent however back to my original post - its interesting that Festa immediately propmoted him to the first team squad - shows in his eyes & Warnocks for that matter - that the lad certainly has the ability to play in the first team & is more or less ready in festa's opinion.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

dangermouse wrote:I worry that after the takeover, our academy will be downgraded as we look to import more players from overseas instead. A friend with contacts within the club has told me that the Academy staff are very worried about their future on account of what they have heard about the direction the club is likely to follow in the future. So sadly I think there is a chance that many talented young players we have like Dawson may never get the chance to break into the first team. I hope I am wrong, and I know we will just have to wait and see what happens.
Really? Because Cellino has recently talked about how proud he is of the amount of academy players promoted under his reign at Cagliari.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."