Gianluca Festa to join coaching team under McDermott

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2

Re: Gianluca Festa to join coaching team under McDermott

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Nesslin wrote:I understand why some fans believe Managers and Coaches know best, I just don't share that opinion. Most managers and Coaches are sacked and unsuccessful because their opinions were wrong.
Not sure what to make of that generic statement, as I can't follow the logic behind it. So because most managers and coaches are sacked at some point in their career, their opinions are generally worthless, thus whenever a fan has a different opinion, the fan's judgement trumps the one of the manager based on that fact?
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

The fact is most of the people here will have seen Dawson play once, and for the rest of the time read about him playing (well), mostly against players of similar age and generally of bench-warming quality, at best. No one knows for a fact that Dawson would genuinely do better than current first team midfielders, or that his performances would be consistent enough to warrant a run in the first team. It's only a fashionable opinion because "play the kids" is the default stance when the first team does not perform.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

isrodger wrote:its interesting that Festa immediately propmoted him to the first team squad - shows in his eyes & Warnocks for that matter - that the lad certainly has the ability to play in the first team & is more or less ready in festa's opinion.
I'm surprised we're all of a sudden attributing so much football nous and planning into the hours-long stint of Festa "in charge" - a complete unknown in terms of management. As for Warnock "seeing" something, loads would still tell you now that Warnock gave Dawson that appearance just because he wanted to appease the masses. It's a debate full of conjecture, on a point which I think is entirely marginal to the cause of our results and performances right now.
Deleted User 2299

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

Bogdan wrote:
Nesslin wrote:I understand why some fans believe Managers and Coaches know best, I just don't share that opinion. Most managers and Coaches are sacked and unsuccessful because their opinions were wrong.
Not sure what to make of that generic statement, as I can't follow the logic behind it. So because most managers and coaches are sacked at some point in their career, their opinions are generally worthless, thus whenever a fan has a different opinion, the fan's judgement trumps the one of the manager based on that fact?

Worthless, where did that word come from? :? "Most managers and Coaches are sacked and unsuccessful because their opinions were wrong "

It's simple logic to me
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

You're making a specific implication of misjudgement from a person with better training, experience, and hands on knowledge of the topic and person in question than any of us, purely on the fact that anyone in that branch can be wrong at some point. It's a very generic assessment - everyone can be wrong, it adds no weight to the argument that someone who's seen less of Dawson altogether than any coach will have seen in a day's training, will have a more relevant opinion. But that of course, is my unqualified opinion.
Deleted User 2299

Bogdan wrote:You're making a specific implication of misjudgement from a person with better training, experience, and hands on knowledge of the topic and person in question than any of us, purely on the fact that anyone in that branch can be wrong at some point. It's a very generic assessment - everyone can be wrong, it adds no weight to the argument that someone who's seen less of Dawson altogether than any coach will have seen in a day's training, will have a more relevant opinion. But that of course, is my unqualified opinion.

BM may not have played Dawson because he didn't fit in the boring hoof ball style that BM chose to play for so long, this isn't a reflection if Dawson is good enough to play for Leeds . Festa might of saw Dawson play once and felt he would fit nicely into the style he wanted to play.
Managers and Coaches will always have different opinions about players, so they can't all be right.

I find it belittling to say they know more about a player than the fans who have watched football for many years. Hunt is a perfect example, how long did it take before the fans were saying how bad he was and how much longer did it take for BM to see this and drop him.

If anyone on this forum had the passion to want a Coaching badge they could get one IMHO.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

I'd be baffled by anyone taking offence/feeling belittled with the theory and suggestion that a person who has done a job their entire life and is making a living out of it might know more about that subject than someone who watches it as a hobby. You're probably right that a coaching badge in itself isn't an absolute testament of higher knowledge (and I wouldn't dream of suggesting fans couldn't match the assessment capability of a coach, given sufficient info), but we're not exactly talking amateur coaches here, but people who have achieved something in what they do.

And I'm not suggesting qualification protects anyone from error, but merely that, on Chris Dawson alone, a player with one first team appearance, the people who have trained him for years (academy coaches - who, I think we're forgetting, might have a big say on whether he gets a first game or not, not McD alone), and the ones who supervise his current regular games at a lower level) will have a better picture of his real quality than any of us, who might be swayed by the sentimental factor of him being a home grown player and the tendency to assume that he couldn't be worse than people in the current first team. If anything, the gist of my opinion is that I don't think a fan with a casual interest in the youth team would have the relevant and necessary information at hand about Dawson to conclude him being kept out is a substantial fault in our management. If you feel that is belittling, feel free, I see nothing outrageous in my presenting that perspective.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Recognising a good player is only a part of the job, possibly the easiest part. Building a side, sorting out tactics, arriving at a philosophy (how you intend to play the game) etc are much harder and much harder still is managing the huge egos and competitive nature of footballers. No idea if Dawson's good enough. What I would say though is, in the scheme of things, whether he plays or not is of minor importance cos all the other issues need sorting. I doubt Dawson will turn a poor lufc side into a good un just now.

Seen nothing to change my long held view that Rudi is part of the problem, that building a side round Ross will never be the answer and that BM is still (worryingly) struggling to 'find a way'.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Mellor wrote:Recognising a good player is only a part of the job, possibly the easiest part. Building a side, sorting out tactics, arriving at a philosophy (how you intend to play the game) etc are much harder and much harder still is managing the huge egos and competitive nature of footballers. No idea if Dawson's good enough. What I would say though is, in the scheme of things, whether he plays or not is of minor importance cos all the other issues need sorting. I doubt Dawson will turn a poor lufc side into a good un just now.
Agree with all that, especially the fact that he's unlikely to be part of the problem or much of a solution to the overall problems we have at the moment. And I agree, some of those lie with McDermott.
Deleted User 2299

Bogdan wrote:I'd be baffled by anyone taking offence/feeling belittled with the theory and suggestion that a person who has done a job their entire life and is making a living out of it might know more about that subject than someone who watches it as a hobby. You're probably right that a coaching badge in itself isn't an absolute testament of higher knowledge (and I wouldn't dream of suggesting fans couldn't match the assessment capability of a coach, given sufficient info), but we're not exactly talking amateur coaches here, but people who have achieved something in what they do.

And I'm not suggesting qualification protects anyone from error, but merely that, on Chris Dawson alone, a player with one first team appearance, the people who have trained him for years (academy coaches - who, I think we're forgetting, might have a big say on whether he gets a first game or not, not McD alone), and the ones who supervise his current regular games at a lower level) will have a better picture of his real quality than any of us, who might be swayed by the sentimental factor of him being a home grown player and the tendency to assume that he couldn't be worse than people in the current first team. If anything, the gist of my opinion is that I don't think a fan with a casual interest in the youth team would have the relevant and necessary information at hand about Dawson to conclude him being kept out is a substantial fault in our management. If you feel that is belittling, feel free, I see nothing outrageous in my presenting that perspective.
No need to be baffled, you just added words again. I'm not offended but it is belittling to suggest that they have worked the job most of their lives and therefore know more than me.

I know a good Beer when I taste one and yet I'm not a brewer - and i don't need one to tell me their opinion to form my own. I know a good steak when I taste one and I don't need Gordon Ramsey to tell me what's what. I know a good footballer when I see one and don't need a badge holder to tell me who is or who isn't. All the above I have done for many years out of love not money and think it's unfair to assume people who wish to make money from the above know more.