The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Dangerous cities in Europe

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Davycc wrote:Bet Belfast was way up there 20 years ago :D
:
Think I may have mentioned this before, but I had a couple of clients in Belfast many, many years ago.

I used to fly in from Leeds/Bradford airport in one one of those little propelled planes, come out of the airport, straight in a taxi, visit the client, straight into a taxi back to the airport. A taxi driver once took me down all the roads with the murals on the sides of the houses, quite unsettling but I never felt in any danger.
I never went into the city centre before 1997-8 unless it was totally necessary, hated the place, ha a terrible doom a bout it. Totally changed now, vibrant, inviting and great fun.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Yep Lisbon. I had a Portuguese girlfriend and we went on the most iconic tram route (I forget the details), she did warn me about pickpockets. I was standing on the rear deck next to the doors. A couple of stops earlier, even though it the was middle of a weekday afternoon, a crowd of people got on and stood in the same part of the tram as me. I held my wallet very tight in my trouser pocket, but even so, at the next stop, this group of people jostled round me leaving the tram. Bizarrely, once outside, one of the group pointed to my wallet which was on the floor. The 40 euros I had in it was still intact. Maybe it wasn't enough for them? :lol:

I’ve heard exactly the same story from several people it’s obviously a common practice for pick pockets in that particular city. One old boy on our cruise was so shook up he stayed in his cabin for the last 7 days of the trip. Several people I’ve spoken to were 100% certain that the tram driver was involved with the gangs.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
Yep Lisbon. I had a Portuguese girlfriend and we went on the most iconic tram route (I forget the details), she did warn me about pickpockets. I was standing on the rear deck next to the doors. A couple of stops earlier, even though it the was middle of a weekday afternoon, a crowd of people got on and stood in the same part of the tram as me. I held my wallet very tight in my trouser pocket, but even so, at the next stop, this group of people jostled round me leaving the tram. Bizarrely, once outside, one of the group pointed to my wallet which was on the floor. The 40 euros I had in it was still intact. Maybe it wasn't enough for them? :lol:

I’ve heard exactly the same story from several people it’s obviously a common practice for pick pockets in that particular city. One old boy on our cruise was so shook up he stayed in his cabin for the last 7 days of the trip. Several people I’ve spoken to were 100% certain that the tram driver was involved with the gangs.
It was mainly the trams that were targeted when I was there, watched gangs stood at tram stops waiting for a crowded tram to come along, would let the half empty ones go by.
Locals told me they were north Africans and the police locked them up overnight if caught but released them the following day.
A elderly German Couple had all all their money and cards stolen coming out a subway station. It was their last day and we had been chatting to them at breakfast each day. The lady came to our room in tears as they had no money to get a taxi to the airport and the hotel wouldn't help, just told her to go to the embassy.
I gave her some euros to help them out and although i didn't ask she insisted on my address. A week later a thank you letter with cash returned.

Wouldn't stop me visiting again as MW say's its a nice city but it is something the police need to get a grip on.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Davycc wrote:... Belfast...

I never went into the city centre before 1997-8 unless it was totally necessary, hated the place, ha a terrible doom a bout it. Totally changed now, vibrant, inviting and great fun.
Can vouch 100% for this. Great city, very warm friendly people.

Like Davy, there's no way I would have visited during the Troubles, but I've been several times in the last few years, never disappointed :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Anyone on here from Bradford and if so how does it warrant first place in this particular league ?
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Anyone on here from Bradford and if so how does it warrant first place in this particular league ?
They support their football team, end of ;)
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Anyone on here from Bradford and if so how does it warrant first place in this particular league ?
I used to work in Bradford, certainly not the best place in the world, but I am surprised it rates so badly. I do treat these surveys as a bit of a joke though.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote: I do treat these surveys as a bit of a joke though.
It's a good point and think it's best to make your own mind up.
It's about been sensible when travelling, if it feels unsafe get out of there. All cities have good and bad areas but more often than not the dodgy part of town isn't where tourists go.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Not looking at any lists or speaking from experience, I get the impression that the port city of Marseille would be somewhat dodgy place to move around in if you didn't know the ropes.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Suspect Europe is the safest continent
Never felt at risk in Beijing, Hong Kong nor the various cities I visited in India.

Probably the favourite country I've visited is South Africa. BUT any local will tell you that, as a white person, there are certain parts of major cities are a total no-no, eg Soweto. Also my consulting partner, who lived there for >20 years, had his daughter violated because the perpetrator believed it was a cure for AIDS.

Inevitably I'm going to mention Colombia. Mrs MW grew up in a part of Medellin that could be classed a few notches up from a favela, so no planning permission, electricity connection tenuous etc. I never felt a moment's concern in her barrio (Manrique Oriental, if you want to look on google maps). I did feel uneasy in 'El huecho' (BB will translate :lol: ) in her city and also on San Andres where we were offered drugs by a rasta - the island is closer to Jamaica than mainland Colombia.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....