Report: Bielsa to walk away at end of season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Report: Bielsa to walk away at end of season

Post by blackbox2342 »

Obviously paper talk but Mirror reporting Marcelo will walk away at the end of this season.

I hope he keeps us up if he is to go as it would be a fitting end to an incredible journey.

I do wonder if he has taken this squad as far as he can and a new manager for a new rebuild (in whichever league we end up) is the right approach.

What do others think? Is it right time to go?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-26275939
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Report: Bielsa to walk away at end of season

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Whatever Marcelo decides to do is fine by me. Yes he has his faults, who doesn’t but WOW what a journey we’ve been on these last 4 years. After those three seasons in League 1 I honestly thought we would never see the Premiership again but thanks to him we’ve achieved that & in real style. He’s turned Championship players into real Premiership players in particular Coops, Paddy, Dallas, Ayling & Klich. The real question is who on earth will replace him ? How does any manager fill those enormous boots.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Saving us from relegation will possibly be MB’s last act he will be 67 this summer so who can blame him if he wants to retire back to his native Argentina ? Across social media folk are pointing their scrawny fingers blaming him for the position we find ourselves in but is he totally at fault ? Let’s look at others who have a responsibility

Radrizzani a welcome breath of fresh air after owners like Bates and Cellino but is he already thinking about his next venture ? If MB does indeed go it might coincide with a full 49ers take over. We will never know if there was no cash to invest in the January window or whether MB’s exacting standards were at play. I won’t point any finger at AR I’m grateful for what he’s done for the club

Orta as stated above we don’t know the circumstances surrounding the window but he has brought in some real quality such as Raphinha but equally some players like Jay Roy Grott who was the polar opposite of Rapha. Should he have insisted on bringing in fresh blood ?

Has as been said I’ve loved every minute of Bielsa’s tenure and thank him for everything he’s done for our club.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Across social media folk are pointing their scrawny fingers blaming him for the position we find ourselves in but is he totally at fault ?
It’s clearly Marcelos fault that we sit 15th in the Premier League. Without him we could have been top 10 now! In the Championship.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Polkadot wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Across social media folk are pointing their scrawny fingers blaming him for the position we find ourselves in but is he totally at fault ?
It’s clearly Marcelos fault that we sit 15th in the Premier League. Without him we could have been top 10 now! In the Championship.
:thumbup: :D :clap:

Thank you, that made me smile and helps my day!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

blackbox2342 wrote: I do wonder if he has taken this squad as far as he can and a new manager for a new rebuild (in whichever league we end up) is the right approach.
You do realise during these 4 seasons under Marcelo a lot of emphasis has been on rebuilding given our approach of scouting the best young talent available while at the same time get the best out of many existing players.
We've seen lots of progress with promotions for all our teams (first team & U23's), there is always going to be a period of stagnation.
The young players we've been signing have often been in the 16/17/18 age groups which is very rare for players to break into the first team at that age at any club (sure we can all name a odd exception but it is rare).
Some of the kids are getting close to leaving their teenage years behind and I believe 20/21/22 are the ages players often establish themselves. We are also building another batch of younger to follow behind those getting close. Some will become regulars as we progress others will fall by the wayside and probably sold for a profit.

Injuries to so many key players haven't helped, not a excuse it happens but does make you think other than the big 6 who could cope without 5 or 6 of their main stars for the periods we have had to deal with.

For me given our finances its the right way to go (find and develop potential), try match the likes of big 6 in the transfer market isn't possible we have to sign gambles, they can afford £100mill for players and the salary that goes with it, we can't so building is the way.
To be honest I prefer to see us do it right with good coaching at the development of players rather than just been able to buy everyone elses best player every time we lose a game.

Sure it can be a rocky ride at times but that is how it is.

Question for those that want a new manager - Who ?

Those at the top have almost unlimited budgets, how well do you think Pep or Klopp would do with our budget.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Selby White wrote:
blackbox2342 wrote: I do wonder if he has taken this squad as far as he can and a new manager for a new rebuild (in whichever league we end up) is the right approach.
You do realise during these 4 seasons under Marcelo a lot of emphasis has been on rebuilding given our approach of scouting the best young talent available while at the same time get the best out of many existing players.
We've seen lots of progress with promotions for all our teams (first team & U23's), there is always going to be a period of stagnation.
The young players we've been signing have often been in the 16/17/18 age groups which is very rare for players to break into the first team at that age at any club (sure we can all name a odd exception but it is rare).
Some of the kids are getting close to leaving their teenage years behind and I believe 20/21/22 are the ages players often establish themselves. We are also building another batch of younger to follow behind those getting close. Some will become regulars as we progress others will fall by the wayside and probably sold for a profit.

Injuries to so many key players haven't helped, not a excuse it happens but does make you think other than the big 6 who could cope without 5 or 6 of their main stars for the periods we have had to deal with.

For me given our finances its the right way to go (find and develop potential), try match the likes of big 6 in the transfer market isn't possible we have to sign gambles, they can afford £100mill for players and the salary that goes with it, we can't so building is the way.
To be honest I prefer to see us do it right with good coaching at the development of players rather than just been able to buy everyone elses best player every time we lose a game.

Sure it can be a rocky ride at times but that is how it is.

Question for those that want a new manager - Who ?

Those at the top have almost unlimited budgets, how well do you think Pep or Klopp would do with our budget.
I'm not saying I want him to go but I do wonder if we are at a point where fresh perspective is needed.

Following Bielsa is going to be a tough act but it is going to happen.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Polkadot wrote:
LOVE IT :D :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

blackbox2342 wrote:
I'm not saying I want him to go but I do wonder if we are at a point where fresh perspective is needed.

In my time watching football the best club achievements (I'd describe building a dynasty) have been when managers have been given time and developed players along with adding a few bargain signings.
Obviously I think of Revie and Wilkinson here but add to that list the likes of Shankly, Fergie, Wenger, etc.
I can't seriously think of one manager we've had between Wilko and Bielsa who I would want back in charge here to take us forward so I think the mistake many fans make is assuming the next man will do better when in reality it is very unlikely.
My hope is when Marcelo eventually calls it a day its someone that has worked with him that continues the job, would not be gutted with Carlos Corberan.

I know the playing field as changed in football especially with the amount of money some teams have available despite the myth called FFP. Only my opinion but I've no respect to the Manchesters, Chelseas, etc whose success is achieved by buying everyone else's best players (because they can afford to pay more salary), its unethical and not really sport in the true meaning of the word.
I really would hate us to go down that route, buy players for some positions yes but those that are still "work in progress" not to take away your rivals strength.
Maybe I've become too principled in believing the sport is more important than the rich winning by buying success but that is how I see things even if it means the club I love sticks to principles and fights with one hand tied behind our backs.
However think of the pleasure we would get if we produced a team that one day beats those that try to buy success, we should always believe its possible.

The other difference these days is of course social media where everyone has a platform to express an opinion and many think they can do better than those running the club. I'm sure in the real world its not quite as easy as putting names on a piece of paper.

100% behind Marcelo until he calls it a day.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Selby White wrote:
blackbox2342 wrote:

In my time watching football the best club achievements (I'd describe building a dynasty) have been when managers have been given time and developed players along with adding a few bargain signings.
Obviously I think of Revie and Wilkinson here but add to that list the likes of Shankly, Fergie, Wenger, etc.
I can't seriously think of one manager we've had between Wilko and Bielsa who I would want back in charge here to take us forward so I think the mistake many fans make is assuming the next man will do better when in reality it is very unlikely.
My hope is when Marcelo eventually calls it a day its someone that has worked with him that continues the job, would not be gutted with Carlos Corberan.

I know the playing field as changed in football especially with the amount of money some teams have available despite the myth called FFP. Only my opinion but I've no respect to the Manchesters, Chelseas, etc whose success is achieved by buying everyone else's best players (because they can afford to pay more salary), its unethical and not really sport in the true meaning of the word.
I really would hate us to go down that route, buy players for some positions yes but those that are still "work in progress" not to take away your rivals strength.
Maybe I've become too principled in believing the sport is more important than the rich winning by buying success but that is how I see things even if it means the club I love sticks to principles and fights with one hand tied behind our backs.
However think of the pleasure we would get if we produced a team that one day beats those that try to buy success, we should always believe its possible.

The other difference these days is of course social media where everyone has a platform to express an opinion and many think they can do better than those running the club. I'm sure in the real world its not quite as easy as putting names on a piece of paper.

100% behind Marcelo until he calls it a day.
Agree with what you say and you'll shortly be adding Newcastle to the list of big spenders. But it doesn't always bring success, Manure have probably spent the most of any team but when did they last win the league? Are we gonna get to the stage one day when we all have a benefactor? What will happen then? We've gone backwards this season but there are reasons for that and it's really annoying our steady progress has been hampered by these wretched injuries which have totally killed us this year. From the depths of the championship to 9th in the Premier League beating Man City away (what a highlight) frightening Liverpool to death - even this season taking Chelsea all the way. These teams are not superhuman and MB has a philosophy which works when everyone is fit and we can match them all when this happens. Whoever replaces him has huge boots to fill, the man is a genius.