LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Trevor Cherry

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Trevor Cherry

Post by Selby White »

One of my fav Leeds players in the late 70's a proper versatile player who didn't mind a tackle but could play as well.
Full back, Centre Back or midfield, what was his best position, who knows.

Initially signed by the Don from Huddersfield for £100,000 in 1972 to take over from Jack Charlton he ended up establishing himself at LB to cover Terry Cooper after topcat broke his leg.
Trevor went on to play around 400 games for us.

I think I'm right with this fact that he is the only Leeds player to captain England, he achieved the honour in a friendly in Australia leading the team to a 2-1 victory.
Another record he holds is he was the first England player to be sent off in a friendly, the moment came in 1977 against Argentina.
He represented England on 27 occasions.

Noted for his solid defending so lets have a look at his goals, maybe could have played centre forward :D

Must add I was lucky enough to meet Trevor back in 1979, came over a real quiet polite person, genuine nice bloke.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Trevor Cherry

Post by Leicester White »

Great stuff. Always thought Big Jack found his own replacement- Gordon McQueen
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Trevor Cherry

Post by Selby White »

Leicester White wrote:Great stuff. Always thought Big Jack found his own replacement- Gordon McQueen
Yes but think initially Don signed Trevor & Gordon(& Roy Ellam & John Faulkner)with that in mind, knowing it would need to be done at some stage with Jack ageing, so was basically fishing around to see which worked out.
Trevor ended up Fullback & midfield in the main while Gordon evolved (was a rough diamond at first), Ellam & Faulkner didn't reach the standard.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.