Disappointing destinations

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Disappointing destinations

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ever had a holiday or break & come away disappointed ? For me the Gambia was probably our worst experience abroad. You are pestered from the moment you land until believe it or not until you have a decent suntan, I suppose once you’ve achieved that you’ve been there awhile so no longer gullible. One of the cons we found was a young man would stand outside your hotel with a book and ask you if you’d sign it as he’d just got married. Once you’d done so he’d ask if you would donate some cash to his future. I had my credit card cloned there which luckily was at the end of our holiday so we were back in the UK when they were starting to use it & my bank became suspicious & phoned me before a £5000 purchase was about to be done. You also see lots of European ladies who go there for the local men. Maybe we were unlucky but we ended up with a whole catalogue of incidents culminating in my suitcase was opened at the airport and several items stolen probably in the baggage area out of view.

Luckily it didn’t put us off Africa as we went on to visit South Africa, Egypt, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Swaziland & Kenya.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Disappointing destinations

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Benidorm was actually looking forward to going but once I was there it did nothing for me. Perhaps I’m a snob and hadn’t realised it but I just wanted the week to finish and get back home. Why do people go abroad and want fish and chips, English breakfasts and drink tepid ale, surely it would be better/cheaper going to Blackpool. When I’m abroad I want to eat local dishes and sample local wines not have cottage pie washed down with a pint of John Smiths, I’ll never understand.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Must admit I also can’t understand the mentality of people going to Spain & wanting a full English. Maybe I’m also a snob but I went to Benidorm as a solo holiday and I found it rather depressing if I’m honest. There was parts of the old town that was nice but the touristy areas were a different matter. Anyway good choice on Benidorm. Let’s put it in Room 101 :D
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Fiji - but to be fair, we were reminded afterwards that it is classed as a 3rd world country.
Constantly pestered in Suva, difficult to find transport in the rural areas. To the point that when we hopped on a bus at the scheduled departure time, it remained at a standstill until it filled 1.5 hours later. "Busses leave on Fiji time" we were told. :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Goa is another destination that similar to The Gambia. Constantly harassed if you left the hotel complex although in fairness we never felt unsafe just hacked off with the constant hassle. I remember as we came off the airplane the heat and smells of spices was unbelievable. The worst part is due to most Indian officials they do tend to be jobs worths and getting through immigration and customs can take forever. We had a couple of trips down the coast and into the country by hiring a driver & that was absolutely stunning kinda made up for the constant hassle back in the resort area. Again it didn’t put us off as we toured the Kerala & Western Ghats area where we were never bothered & it was stunning scenically. Also the food was amazing.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

kk white wrote:Fiji - but to be fair, we were reminded afterwards that it is classed as a 3rd world country.
Constantly pestered in Suva, difficult to find transport in the rural areas. To the point that when we hopped on a bus at the scheduled departure time, it remained at a standstill until it filled 1.5 hours later. "Busses leave on Fiji time" we were told. :D
Funny isn’t it the very mention of Fiji conjures up a paradise, with wind swept landscapes, beautiful beaches and exotic women. Now my dreams of visiting this far flung outpost of Oceania are shattered as I won’t get any use out of my bus pass. Looks like Skegness instead for me.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Wembley, and Cardiff, never had a good time in either :P
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
kk white wrote:Fiji - but to be fair, we were reminded afterwards that it is classed as a 3rd world country.
Funny isn’t it the very mention of Fiji conjures up a paradise, with wind swept landscapes, beautiful beaches and exotic women. Now my dreams of visiting this far flung outpost of Oceania are shattered as I won’t get any use out of my bus pass. Looks like Skegness instead for me.
:D
It has beautiful areas, no doubt, but after coming from Thailand and New Zealand, I wouldn't visit again.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Another Northern Soul wrote:Wembley, and Cardiff, never had a good time in either :P
I honestly don’t remember much about Cardiff spent way too long in the Prince of Wales pub :oops: Wembley 1972 will never be beaten so I can’t agree with you :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

kk white wrote: :D
It has beautiful areas, no doubt, but after coming from Thailand and New Zealand, I wouldn't visit again.
Sounds like a great trip I’ve done Malaysia ( Borneo) & Australia but now having watched Wanted Down Under I must admit New Zealand is very appealing plus I’m rather partial to a certain alcoholic beverage from that part of the Antipodes :D