Disappointing destinations

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Disappointing destinations

Post by Sniffer »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:New York for me too, it's too busy, all the locals are in a crazy rush and there's tourists everywhere getting in the way, which is not a harmonious combination. The real reason I hate the place though is that in summer it stinks, like really truly just stinks of garbage. I've had fun there, some great theatre trips, a few good nights out but it's LOOOOOW down on my list of places to go back too. Stinking place.
Both times we went was late September. No mad heat, no winter snow and probably fewer tourists.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
CheeznOnionPasty wrote:New York for me too, it's too busy, all the locals are in a crazy rush and there's tourists everywhere getting in the way, which is not a harmonious combination. The real reason I hate the place though is that in summer it stinks, like really truly just stinks of garbage. I've had fun there, some great theatre trips, a few good nights out but it's LOOOOOW down on my list of places to go back too. Stinking place.
Both times we went was late September. No mad heat, no winter snow and probably fewer tourists.
First time I was there was in 2005 in late June was hot but last time March 4 or 5 years back with snow everywhere (in fact flights were cancelled day before our trip) . Enjoyed both trips equally just did different things.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

As a holiday Trinidad was brilliant but first impressions are what the heck, it’s like Middlesbrough with sunshine. We just looked at each other as we came away from the airport thinking what have we done but as I say once we arrived at our destination there was an audible sign of joint relief.

Edit to say we did a dual holiday taking in Tobago first which still remains in my top three destinations it’s truly awesome, perhaps that’s why Trinidad was such a shock. I was able to visit Scarborough which was special as that’s where I was born. We stayed at a hotel called Blue Waters which was literally on the beach. One morning I overheard an English chap complaining about the noise from the waves as it had woken him up :roll: As we were doing a tour we passed the national football stadium named after Dwight Yorke, the stadium was 5 years old and Yorke had never visited it. :roll: We were invited to a beach party whilst we were there & it was all locals but we’ve never been made to feel welcome anyway real Caribbean hospitality. The barbecue was amazing as was the local rum :wtf:
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Went to Kos once wasn’t over struck to be honest. Never seen so many stray cats anywhere. The hotel was due to close for the season a couple of days after we left and the food wasn’t good as they clearly hadn’t bought in any fresh supplies so were using up what they had left. What was supposed to be a reasonably cheap break ceased to be as we started eating out as didn’t want the meagre offerings that the hotel was giving.

Also went to Madeira a place we had visited before but this time chose another hotel close to Funchal. Again the food was poor here we were on this beautiful island known as the Garden Island and the hotel was using tinned fruit and sardines. So once again we went to different restaurants each night.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sunny Beach Bulgaria.... couldn't swim in the sea for swarms of jellyfish and Russians, always seemed to think they owned the place (and you wouldn't have messed with them lol) . Food was terrible and couldn't stray from our hotel room for 3 days due to the risk of a chemical explosion in my shorts.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Davycc wrote:Sunny Beach Bulgaria.... couldn't swim in the sea for swarms of jellyfish and Russians, always seemed to think they owned the place (and you wouldn't have messed with them lol) . Food was terrible and couldn't stray from our hotel room for 3 days due to the risk of a chemical explosion in my shorts.
Cheers Davy, I had looked at Sunny Beach for a cheap getaway - will avoid now.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I’m not a fan of Egypt either we’ve done Hurghada and Sharm El Sheikh where you are guaranteed lovely weather but I’m not sure if Egypt is classed as a third world county but we saw on several occasions raw meat with cooked meat, sparrows helping themselves to the buffet and several people getting infections after using the pools. Also felt everyone was trying to rip you off we always asked how much a fare in a taxi would be before setting off because literally they’ll charge whatever the think they can get away with. We felt any valuables needed to be locked in the safe and took cameras etc with us. Experiences here have put us off wanting to travel to Morocco or Tunisia.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ChilwellWhite wrote: Also went to Madeira a place we had visited before but this time chose another hotel close to Funchal. Again the food was poor here we were on this beautiful island known as the Garden Island and the hotel was using tinned fruit and sardines. So once again we went to different restaurants each night.
Also been to Madeira twice and it is a beautiful place.

More often than not we tend just to go with B & B deals when doing a package holiday unless we get a stupid price for including dinner (which we have achieved occasionally, some good and some not so). We love eating out and always try to do a different restaurant each night, its part of the holiday for us.
Last time in Madeira I won us a free week at a 5 star hotel with the Pestana Group just for taking a survey, apparently it was supposed to be either a piece of Madeira cake or glass of wine for 99.99% of people doing it but I pulled the big ticket :D
We used it for a week on the Algarve (Alvor) a few months later where we got an amazing apartment right on the beach.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My only gripe about Madeira was the number of cyclists on the roads they were everywhere especially in the mountains. It’s a stunning island and we stayed at a lovely hotel an hour from Funchal.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

kk white wrote:
Davycc wrote:Sunny Beach Bulgaria.... couldn't swim in the sea for swarms of jellyfish and Russians, always seemed to think they owned the place (and you wouldn't have messed with them lol) . Food was terrible and couldn't stray from our hotel room for 3 days due to the risk of a chemical explosion in my shorts.
Cheers Davy, I had looked at Sunny Beach for a cheap getaway - will avoid now.
This was over 12 years ago so may have changed but I really can't bring myself to go back.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders