2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by arfa »

Didn't Moyes / West Ham value Declan Rice at £150 million? So Kalvin must be worth about the same.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

arfa wrote:Didn't Moyes / West Ham value Declan Rice at £150 million? So Kalvin must be worth about the same.
Yep. Good point :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
arfa wrote:Didn't Moyes / West Ham value Declan Rice at £150 million? So Kalvin must be worth about the same.
Yep. Good point :thumbup:
I’ve seen this debated on Twitter a lot.

For me, at this moment in time, Rice is the better of the two. Those surging runs, his assists and goals and, of course, captaincy/leadership just edge him ahead.

The £150M for Rice is utter nonsense, just a figure thrown out there by Moyes to put clubs off, but he is worth slightly more than Phillips in my mind (that’s putting to one side any length of contract and wages they both have left which, obviously, affects values).
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Yeah, I'd say Rice is a better overall player than Phillips, but Phillips is a more accomplished defensive midfielder. I base this on the fact that Rice has, for the most part, played in a double pivot with a partner, whilst Phillips has often had to act like a one man midfield defensively.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Rice is almost 4 years younger than Phillips, so his values is clearly a lot higher. It wouldn't surprise med if Rice got sold for 100m or more (but not 150m) and for Phillips i think about 60-65m is max we could get.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Polkadot wrote:Rice is almost 4 years younger than Phillips, so his values is clearly a lot higher. It wouldn't surprise med if Rice got sold for 100m or more (but not 150m) and for Phillips i think about 60-65m is max we could get.
That’s roughly where I’d see it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

100 million is insane for Rice imo BUT leeds should come out and put that price tag on Phillips. I like how Moyes is handling everything and we can learn a thing or two from it.

Rice looks great in a West Ham system now just like Grealish did at Villa. A team built around their strengths.

Philips is the better DM and I don't think it is all that close. If the argument is about Rice being better going forward then there are better players around for even 30-40 mill as a 6 type player. Kalvins position is a hell of a lot about the 87 minutes he doesn't have the ball. Rice positional sense is poor and he shows very poor instincts at times. What top teams play a double pivot? it is mostly managers that don't trust their defence play it. Rice has looked very bad as a single pivot. He has obvious weaknesses.

Rice is the latest thing like Maguire was and like Grealish was but very overrated (still good players). The only English players that come in at that valuation are Kane and Foden who are a class above the rest in football terms.

I am not saying it won't be paid but it is about more than what is done on a football field if it is. I can see Scum paying it and I will laugh just like I laughed at Maguire for 80.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

From the BBC

Leeds United and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips is set to change his agent in a bid to secure a move away, with Manchester United working on a deal for the 26-year-old. (Manchester Evening News)

However, Phillips would reject a move to Manchester United out of loyalty to his boyhood club Leeds.(Mail)
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:From the BBC

Leeds United and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips is set to change his agent in a bid to secure a move away, with Manchester United working on a deal for the 26-year-old. (Manchester Evening News)

However, Phillips would reject a move to Manchester United out of loyalty to his boyhood club Leeds.(Mail)
Lazy journalism in my opinion. MEN telling their readers what they want to hear and t’other it’s the M*il.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

Polkadot wrote:Rice is almost 4 years younger than Phillips, so his values is clearly a lot higher. It wouldn't surprise med if Rice got sold for 100m or more (but not 150m) and for Phillips i think about 60-65m is max we could get.
I have to disagree with you guys.
Imho KP is the slightly better one out of the two.
Now regarding the price as you said there are multiple factors that may tip the price in favor of rice - age, current contract situation, the fact that he plays for a club that's done extremely well the last couple of years, and his appearance in europe (although in the lowest level possible).

Now as for the price, i believe the amounts youithrowing around are 3-5 years back. I'd say rice can be sold near 150 mil, for say around 120, and Phillips for a sum close to 100 (90-110, depends how well we play our cards).