Bielsa v Marsch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Re: Bielsa v Marsch

Post by Scott »

As you all know, I’ve been very much defending Marsch so far since he came in. But I’ve had a bit of a change of heart after last night.

I normally sit down near the corner flag at games, but last night I was at the back of the East Upper. That gave a whole new perspective on the tactics we’re trying to play and gave a far clearer look at the shape we’re attempting to work in at the minute. It’s awful. From the first minute last night, the shape was so wrong it was almost comical. And as much as I’ve backed a coach trying to come in and stamp his authority on things and put his own tactics together…that’s just rancid how he’s setting that team up when you see it from that angle. It gives us no chance and that was obvious from the first minute of the game.

I’m still not sure Bielsa was going to keep us up, but unless he nips that shape in the bud, I’m pretty sure Jesse isn’t either.

Something Moscow White said on the match ball gave me a bit of a new perspective as well. At least when Bielsa was there, the players knew what they were supposed to be doing, even if they weren’t able to do it anymore. Now, everyone just looks lost and no one seems to know where they’re supposed to be or what the right option is.
bc grinner
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by bc grinner »

I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in four years that we've lost 3 in a row with a healthy KP....
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

bc grinner wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in four years that we've lost 3 in a row with a healthy KP....
Doesn't surprise me.
Not sure if this is right but the statistic members on here may confirm but during Bielsas reign we gained almost a point per game more when Philips played than when he didn't. Shame he's missed so much this year, things would look different if he had stayed fit I'm my view.
Marsch doesn't yet get the same diffencein results. .
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

The Fonz wrote:
bc grinner wrote:I'm pretty sure that this is the first time in four years that we've lost 3 in a row with a healthy KP....
Doesn't surprise me.
Not sure if this is right but the statistic members on here may confirm but during Bielsas reign we gained almost a point per game more when Philips played than when he didn't. Shame he's missed so much this year, things would look different if he had stayed fit I'm my view.
Marsch doesn't yet get the same diffencein results. .
Indeed, under Bielsa there was a huge difference with Kalvin or without.
With Marsch we have taken 1 point from 4 games with KP playing a full 90 and 10 points from 6 matches with Kalvin not playing or playing less than 31 minutes. But this stat is probably mostly because we have played 3 top 6 teams in the period with KP on the pitch. Also before KP got injured before Christmas we lost 3 out of 3 against the top 6 with KP playing.

We definitively need big KP performances in the last two.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Scott wrote:As you all know, I’ve been very much defending Marsch so far since he came in. But I’ve had a bit of a change of heart after last night.

I normally sit down near the corner flag at games, but last night I was at the back of the East Upper. That gave a whole new perspective on the tactics we’re trying to play and gave a far clearer look at the shape we’re attempting to work in at the minute. It’s awful. From the first minute last night, the shape was so wrong it was almost comical. And as much as I’ve backed a coach trying to come in and stamp his authority on things and put his own tactics together…that’s just rancid how he’s setting that team up when you see it from that angle. It gives us no chance and that was obvious from the first minute of the game.

I’m still not sure Bielsa was going to keep us up, but unless he nips that shape in the bud, I’m pretty sure Jesse isn’t either.

Something Moscow White said on the match ball gave me a bit of a new perspective as well. At least when Bielsa was there, the players knew what they were supposed to be doing, even if they weren’t able to do it anymore. Now, everyone just looks lost and no one seems to know where they’re supposed to be or what the right option is.
At last, you’ve seen the light Scott :D :D :D.

This is what I meant when I said those of us who go to games see this ludicrous systems better though, and that’s not a dig at those who don’t get chance to go. You simply cannot see it on television how narrow we are, how squeezed in our best attacker is, how ineffective Kalvin is as those long passes of his has no outlet, how Meslier has no out ball. I could go on and on and on.

P.S It’s Moxcow White at the moment, he’s changed his name for obvious reasons :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Scott wrote: I normally sit down near the corner flag at games, but last night I was at the back of the East Upper. That gave a whole new perspective on the tactics we’re trying to play and gave a far clearer look at the shape we’re attempting to work in at the minute.
I've been in the East Stand upper more this season than ever before (only been up there twice prior to this season) and have got to like it. In fact up there on Sunday.
As you say you see it different from there as get the full picture.

Hate them stairs though ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
Scott wrote: I normally sit down near the corner flag at games, but last night I was at the back of the East Upper. That gave a whole new perspective on the tactics we’re trying to play and gave a far clearer look at the shape we’re attempting to work in at the minute.
I've been in the East Stand upper more this season than ever before (only been up there twice prior to this season) and have got to like it. In fact up there on Sunday.
As you say you see it different from there as get the full picture.

Hate them stairs though ;)
Think how I've felt, Mick, with one sometimes two crutches, avoiding lifts because of Covid.

Much better these days but those steps don't get much easier ;)
bc grinner
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by bc grinner »

Polkadot wrote: Indeed, under Bielsa there was a huge difference with Kalvin or without.
With Marsch we have taken 1 point from 4 games with KP playing a full 90 and 10 points from 6 matches with Kalvin not playing or playing less than 31 minutes. But this stat is probably mostly because we have played 3 top 6 teams in the period with KP on the pitch. Also before KP got injured before Christmas we lost 3 out of 3 against the top 6 with KP playing.

I believe that KP went out against Brentford just before our three game stretch against Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. He definitely was the key to success.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

bc grinner wrote:
Polkadot wrote: Indeed, under Bielsa there was a huge difference with Kalvin or without.

I believe that KP went out against Brentford just before our three game stretch against Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. He definitely was the key to success.
KP is an absolute diamond but he is only slowly coming back to full match fitness and finding his match legs. He's a way to go until we see the very best of him and actually there aren't enough matches left in this season. It has not helped that he's come back into a struggling team.
Great to see him back on the pitch and I hope to see a bit more fine tuning on his radar :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
The Fonz

Post by The Fonz »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
bc grinner wrote:

KP is an absolute diamond but he is only slowly coming back to full match fitness and finding his match legs. He's a way to go until we see the very best of him and actually there aren't enough matches left in this season. It has not helped that he's come back into a struggling team.
Great to see him back on the pitch and I hope to see a bit more fine tuning on his radar :D
We won't see the best of Kalvin until he has someone to get on the end of his long passes. Sure he'll break up play win the ball but his biggest attacking asset was launching long diagonal balls to our wingers.
The fact we are now playing so narrow he no longer has that out ball.