REUNIONS ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

REUNIONS ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've got one coming up and I'm actually looking forward to it.

I went to quite a posh school and only kept in contact with three people: one moved to Japan, another to Scotland then Australia and the third one died a few years ago. I used to get invited to reunions but I didn't enjoy it there so why would I want to go back ?
However, my old branch of Sainsbury's is having one, completely impromptu, following a few of us posting old photos on Facebook.
I worked there THIRTY YEARS ago as a student and I'll be one of the youngest there. I think there'll be about 25 of us all told and lots of stuff that might or might not rear its head on the night ...

There won't be any of my old flames there, I don't think, but there's plenty of other things going on.
One example ?
How about the lothario manager who was in his late 30s when he seduced a young checkout girl of 18 or 19 ... only to be the last guy she ever slept with because she came out shortly afterwards. Meanwhile, at the time his wife found out somehow and wrote "CHEAT" across his car bonnet in paint stripper. At least I think that was the word ... it began with a "C" and ended in a "T" anyway :lol:
I know for a fact they haven't seen each other in thirty years.
Oh, and it's no partners allowed unless they worked there too - and there are two or three happily married couples going along too :)

It's two weeks from now ...

Anyone else got any stories about them ?
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: REUNIONS ?

Post by mapperleywhite »

I got back in touch with school mates in the early noughties via Friends Reunited (remember that one?). One of them I'd kept in touch with sporadically over time, but the others I hadn't seen for 30 years. We have had the tradition of each one taking turns to host a BBQ every year, partners and sometimes children included.

My impression is that the dynamic between us is just like it was when we were in school. My theory for this is that it just shows how significant our school days are shaping our character and personality.

Another guy, Neville, less well known to some of us, joined the roster after a while. At first he used to turn up on his own. Then he arrived with Sally. He took a moment to tell me that 'she was the best sex ever'. They broke up about three years ago and Neville sent an e-mail to all of us to say that Sally had been playing around. There were the usual jokes like 'jeez, can't the poor girl have a game of golf' and so on.

Next thing you know Neville is back with his ex-wife - whom he told me had taken him to the cleaners financially - and moved from leafy Surrey to Macclesfield. In the middle of last year Neville sent another e-mail to informing us that he was back down south shacked up with a new lady.

Now you must bear in mind we've all turned 60 recently, and probably should, conventionally, be thinking about settling down.

Neville also retired recently. Guess what he did for a living since getting his degree at Cambridge.....

he was a GP :roll:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Dr. of Lurrrrveee
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Blimey.
The last thing I'd think of my doc being is a lothario ...
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Rigger went to a 'posh school'. I went to a Secondary Modern school in Liverpool (1947). To give you a flavour: I remember one occasion when there had been some trouble at the school and the Headmaster called an assembly. We knew something was up and the Headmaster kept us waiting for quite some time and the tension built up. For effect, he entered at the back of the hall and walked down the centre aisle to the stage at the front. All the time, he was swinging a club of wood with a nail knocked through it. He got on the stage and waved it about, threatening the guilty parties should he find out who they were. The school was demolished in the 1980's, we don't have a reunion as there are never enough out on bail to justify it. :D

PS That was the same Headmaster who gave me the bus fare and directions to get to the hospital to have my head stitched.
I once played against Don Revie.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Yeah, I have secondary school reunions all the time, sometimes it seems like they're every working day.

My year group were in the top 10 for GCSE results at state schools, last time I checked... so when johnh goes on about his school being violent, we're still waiting for our first real fight...
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
18longleeds
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by 18longleeds »

can not believe it has been 7 years since i finished nearly. I was at one of the worst schools according to ofsted not had a reunion since the last GCSE and Results thankfully.