Worth watching on telly

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Worth watching on telly

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Watched another Michael Palin last night namely Sahara which we thoroughly enjoyed. He visited Timbuktu a place I’d love to visit just to say I’ve been.
:thumbup:

Yes we watched it last night also, great to watch them and hard to imagine it was only 20 years ago and some of those places are no go areas now.

Watched the previous one also when it showed his previous great journey when he circled the Pacific .
Is there anymore that’s 4 we’ve watched now ?
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Watched another Michael Palin last night namely Sahara which we thoroughly enjoyed. He visited Timbuktu a place I’d love to visit just to say I’ve been.
:thumbup:

Yes we watched it last night also, great to watch them and hard to imagine it was only 20 years ago and some of those places are no go areas now.

Watched the previous one also when it showed his previous great journey when he circled the Pacific .
Is there anymore that’s 4 we’ve watched now ?
Don't think so think he did the 4 epic journeys, Around the World, Pole to Pole and the two we mention.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

We’re into The Prodigal Son at the moment with the excellent Michael Sheen.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

We watched From Time To Time last night starring Maggie Smith, Pauline Collins, Hugh Bonneville & Timothy Spall. I thought it was alright but my wife absolutely loved it. Tonight we’re going to watch The Good Liar starring another favourite actress of mine Helen Mirren.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

The wife started watching I’m a Celebrity my goodness they must be hard up for cash. Another cool million each for Ant and Dec.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

ChilwellWhite wrote:The wife started watching I’m a Celebrity my goodness they must be hard up for cash. Another cool million each for Ant and Dec.
Its utter garbage, I don’t like the treatment of the animals and bugs either.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Barlow Boy wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:The wife started watching I’m a Celebrity my goodness they must be hard up for cash. Another cool million each for Ant and Dec.
Its utter garbage, I don’t like the treatment of the animals and bugs either.

I’m not a fan but her indoors likes it. She puts up with football so it’s a compromise for me. Headphones on I’m none the wiser ;)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

NottinghamWhite wrote: Tonight we’re going to watch The Good Liar starring another favourite actress of mine Helen Mirren.
Another good watch we enjoyed this a lot. Decent story line with a good twist in the tail. Jim Carter was very good as well as Mirren & McKellen.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Play For Today.
Available on the iPlayer for the next few weeks.
I watched two yesterday and was astonished at how good they were and shocked at how hard-hitting too.

One was called Don't Be Silly and was about domestic violence and abuse in a "nice" middle class white family, while the other was set in Scotland and was also about violence, but this time it was more about the rough streets and pubs and was called Just A Boys' Game.

They both had recognisable talent (Maria Aitken in one and Gregor Fisher in the other) were well scripted and - above all - were real social documents. Sadly, nothing much has changed in terms of wife-bashing, though violence on the streets is more unusual than it used to be.
I think what I liked most was the slow burn of both stories. This allowed background plot, character development and some proper depth rather than today's short-sharp editing and exposition by dialogue : you could actually see what was going on for yourself as the layers were peeled back. Also, there were quite a few arty shots and long lingers on one camera angle so they felt almost like a movie.

I'd thoroughly recommend both :thumbup: :thumbup:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cnhjw
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

We watched Leeds United a couple of weeks back another Play for Today nothing to do with football, though there is the odd mention. It’s basically about the rag trade & equality for female workers. Written by Colin Welland & starring Lynne Perrie ( Ivy Brennan of Coronation Street fame )