Other sports

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Other sports

Post by johnh »

Football has always been my number one. Played till I was 40. When doing my National Service I represented the Army (Singapore) at athletics (triple jump and 440 yards) never did them again after demob. Played cricket for the regiment but only played the odd game after demob. Played Table Tennis for Leeds as a junior, was a member of Victoria TT Club. Have played golf for the last 35 years and also snooker, though I can't get my chin on the cue now! Enjoy watching Rugby Union as well as football. Sports on TV I enjoy are: Cricket, Boxing, Formula 1, Rugby League, Golf, Snooker. Don't watch swimming, any winter sports, tennis, horse racing.

Lowest handicap at golf = 10. Highest break at snooker = 53.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

That's an impressive CV John.

My highest break is 10 and my handicap 53 :cry:
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Lowest handicap at golf = 10. Highest break at snooker = 53.
just reverse that for me :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Pecky10
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Pecky10 »

CorkWhite wrote:Just want to say congratulation to Ireland on winning the six nations Rugby championship today with a very impressive and gutsy display against a dogged French team.

Todays game marked the end of an amazing career for one of the worlds best ever players to play Rugby not just for Ireland but also for the Lions, Brian O' Driscoll what an amazing inspirational figure he was.
I'm a bit late but just wanted to echo this - most especially because I spent last weekend in Paris, was at the game, nearly had a heart attack before *that* forward pass was spotted and felt completely privileged to attend BoD's last ever game in green. What a day :clap: :clap: :clap:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Pecky
That forward pass was about three yards forward, don't know why the ref had to refer it. I think it was a prop who threw it so no surprise there! Froggies just might have got away with it in Rugby League going by the forward pass Leeds got away with last night. :D

Just had a thought, I think there are more forward passes at Headingley than there are at Elland Road. Hoofball doesn't count as a pass.
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

Love football, Leeds, Celtic and central coast

Rugby league - south Sydney rabbitohs
Australian football - Collingwood
Hockey - Toronto maple leafs

Plus test cricket, international rugby union, boxing, MMA, darts
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

As a teenager I played netball for our school, we were good, we won tournaments. I watched Grandstand every Saturday and loved watching all sports. I remember watching Rugby League on a Saturday afternoon, on a black and white TV, waiting to hear Eddie Waring say 'up and under'. I watched the tennis, athletics, the motor racing, motorcycle racing, cricket - listening to John Arlott on radio 4 and watching the test match on TV. I watched everything.

I continued to watch sport, but less of it, though focussing on the Rugby Union 'Five Nations', (as it was) Formula 1, football and athletics mainly and of course the cricket - I just loved watching the test match whenever possible, when not working.

The big turning point for me was when Sky started to buy everything up and my favourite sports began to disappear from the main terrestrial, free channels and were then only available to those who could afford to pay large sums of money, to feed Rupert Murdoch.

Sport itself began to change, it became more and more money driven. It would probably have happened with or without Sky, but Rupert Murdoch has always been the lowest kind of being to me. For me it is still criminal that I can't watch England play cricket without having to pay a large sum of money for it.

I like many others have slowly become alienated from sport, thanks to the unfair monopoly that Sky still have, holding our national sports to ransom.

I barely get the opportunity to watch cricket these days, though I keep up with it. I still support LUFC and I follow any news about them. If I don't get to matches, then I listen on the internet but, as football slowly sinks into a money driven abyss of insanity; as players wages become more and more outrageous; as the treatment of managers sinks to an all time low this season; as millionaire owners increase in the game and home grown players and managers start to become a threatened species, I just wonder how much longer I will be able to care.

For some, all of the insane money in sport is a good thing, for me it is slowly killing it, we need to try and retrieve some of it and quickly.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Frankie, agree with all your comments here. I am fortunate that I get Sky on my laptop as part of my son's contract, so it doesn't cost me anything. However, this looks likely to change as BT are buying everything up. The Government should step in and make sure that all Major sporting events, Test Matches, Golf Majors, Cup Finals etc., are on Terrestrial.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

johnh wrote:Frankie, agree with all your comments here. I am fortunate that I get Sky on my laptop as part of my son's contract, so it doesn't cost me anything. However, this looks likely to change as BT are buying everything up. The Government should step in and make sure that all Major sporting events, Test Matches, Golf Majors, Cup Finals etc., are on Terrestrial.
I agree, a few generations now have been deprived of such great events, if they have not had access to Sky, or like you say BT now - which is just as expensive, so I understand.

Actually thinking about it, I wasn't yet a teenager when we had black and white, so I would have been around 8 - soooooooo long ago! It's scary getting old! Especially when you still feel 35.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Frankie, when I was 8 it was the wireless. I was in the army doing my National Service when my parents got their first TV.