Just great music.....

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Just great music.....

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Get the kettle on wrote:I bought myself a shiny new record player (or turntable if you prefer) the other day (my own birthday pressie to myself...). My old one wouldn't work with my 'reciever' (they used to be called amps y'know). Anyways, i can listen to all my vinyls once again. My front room was filled with the long version of She Sells Sancturay by The Cult among other indulgences... cracking, and they all sounded beautiful too! I'm well impressed with my new phonogram...

**PEDANT ALERT**

The word is RECORDS, my good man
Deleted User 728

What deck did you buy ??

I'm a bit of a hifi nut and have often thought about starting a thread on it in here.
I've got a Linn Sondek, Rega Planet CD player, NAD pre-amp and two mono-block power amps from Meridian, driving two big fat KEF Calinda speakers. It's all fairly retro gear, though I also use a DAC for the CD player and if I plug my laptop in to the system.
I've also got some decent direct drive KAM DJ decks - as heavy and as quick as SL1210s - and that's wired in to it all too.
My computer room system is a big, fat Trio amp running Celestion Ditton 15s that I restored - they are beautiful both to look at and listen to.

I also run two surround systems - one in the living room through an Onkyo receiver and the other in the bedroom through a Panasonic receiver, so I can watch movies in Dolby no matter where.

I also have a CD/DAB system in the kitchen though I haven't wired up the kitchen TV for surround - even I thought that would be a bit silly :)
Get the kettle on
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Get the kettle on »

Records, gotcha.

It's a Project Audio Systems deck so it has anti skating weight ect and to change speed you lift off the turntable to adjust the belt accordingly. I had to get a small pre amp to connect it to my Marantz reciever as there is no input for decks so it's gone into the c.d. inputs via the pre amp.

I have a Kef centre (v nice) two floor standing Mission with an active PSB sub and two Gale speakers at the rear on a pair of Atacama speaker stands.

It all sounds nice to me.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I've got a Pro-Ject turntable too. It has a funny habit of going backwards occasionally. Usually when I first turn it on. It goes through a phono box MM (pre-amp jobby) and a Denon Mini System and out through a couple of Wharfendale speakers. Nothing fancy but it sounds good to me.
Deleted User 728

As I was cooking my lunch today (fresh salmon with fusilli, green beans, mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes in a spring onions and garlic cream sauce in case you were wondering - Mondays don't have to be awful) I was listening to a Stan Kenton album and recognised a melody I'd not heard in years, Gloomy Sunday.

It's a notorious song anyway (google it if you're interested) but I first got to know it from the version by Associates with the unique vocal talents of Billy Mackenzie :

But the Kenton big band take on it is pretty dark too - powerful stuff !
Thanks to AnotherNorthernSoul for giving me his dad's CDs in the first place :

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

It was good to give them to a grateful home, Rigger, thanks for posting that.

Yes, my Dad died in August 2013. For any of you who didn't know, he worked on the ground staff at Elland Road for over 26 years. Didn't even get a mention from the club, not a letter, no card, nowt. We had the wake in Billy's Bar too. It wasn't a surprise, the club was a disgrace then in certain respects.

A year and a few months before, I'm proud to say that a few of us were active in getting the club, Shaun Harvey specifically, to mention John Reynolds who died before my Dad. John was my Dad's boss for a long time. John worked at Elland Road and Thorp Arch for.... 60 years. Can you believe that? And we had to fight for some form of tribute! Harvey was against commemorating John's passing because, and I quote, 'If we do it for John then we have to do it for everyone else.' What a crank!
Deleted User 728

Another Northern Soul wrote:It was good to give them to a grateful home, Rigger, thanks for posting that.

Yes, my Dad died in August 2013. For any of you who didn't know, he worked on the ground staff at Elland Road for over 26 years. Didn't even get a mention from the club, not a letter, no card, nowt. We had the wake in Billy's Bar too. It wasn't a surprise, the club was a disgrace then in certain respects.

A year and a few months before, I'm proud to say that a few of us were active in getting the club, Shaun Harvey specifically, to mention John Reynolds who died before my Dad. John was my Dad's boss for a long time. John worked at Elland Road and Thorp Arch for.... 60 years. Can you believe that? And we had to fight for some form of tribute! Harvey was against commemorating John's passing because, and I quote, 'If we do it for John then we have to do it for everyone else.' What a crank!
That's disgusting.
Pathetic penny-pinching.

Compare that to the tribute to Newcastle's tea lady the other day ..

:evil:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:What deck did you buy ??

I'm a bit of a hifi nut and have often thought about starting a thread on it in here.
I've got a Linn Sondek, Rega Planet CD player, NAD pre-amp and two mono-block power amps from Meridian, driving two big fat KEF Calinda speakers. It's all fairly retro gear, though I also use a DAC for the CD player and if I plug my laptop in to the system.
I've also got some decent direct drive KAM DJ decks - as heavy and as quick as SL1210s - and that's wired in to it all too.
My computer room system is a big, fat Trio amp running Celestion Ditton 15s that I restored - they are beautiful both to look at and listen to.

I also run two surround systems - one in the living room through an Onkyo receiver and the other in the bedroom through a Panasonic receiver, so I can watch movies in Dolby no matter where.

I also have a CD/DAB system in the kitchen though I haven't wired up the kitchen TV for surround - even I thought that would be a bit silly :)
I used to have a gramophone.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:It was good to give them to a grateful home, Rigger, thanks for posting that.

That's disgusting.
Pathetic penny-pinching.

Compare that to the tribute to Newcastle's tea lady the other day ..

:evil:
Disgusting - yes.
Penny pinching - no. Far, far worse than that but no more than you would expect from Harvey.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:What deck did you buy ??

And in English .......
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders