The Book Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The Book Thread

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:No worries Dave, I usually take it away for my jaunt up to Northumberland. I'll dig out another one for now, but if you could put a note up when it's available that would be great :thumbup:
The book is now available in paperback direct from the publisher at https://completelynovel.com/books/leeds ... impossible Look forward to your feedback!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm concentrating on 'hard' sci-fi at the moment, reading some of the classics of the genre.
Having finished the Arthur C Clarke epic four book Rama series, I'm now two-thirds of the way through Larry Niven's [img]Ringworld[/img].

I'm blown away by the creativity of the great SF authors.
If you want to escape you really can't beat a good book ..
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:No worries Dave, I usually take it away for my jaunt up to Northumberland. I'll dig out another one for now, but if you could put a note up when it's available that would be great :thumbup:
The book is now available in paperback direct from the publisher at https://completelynovel.com/books/leeds ... impossible Look forward to your feedback!
Cheers Dave, any idea when it is out on Amazon ?.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
It usually takes around 2 weeks. I've priced it at £10 on Amazon hoping that will get it into the free p and p category. It is only £6.99 on CN but they will charge around £3 for postage so it will be similar delivered on both.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

rigger wrote:I'm concentrating on 'hard' sci-fi at the moment, reading some of the classics of the genre.
Having finished the Arthur C Clarke epic four book Rama series, I'm now two-thirds of the way through Larry Niven's [img]Ringworld[/img].

I'm blown away by the creativity of the great SF authors.
If you want to escape you really can't beat a good book ..
Have you tried Michael Moorcock? He's a very interesting writer exploring the multiverse, law and chaos, good and evil, order and entropy through various (or possibly the same) eternal characters.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
It usually takes around 2 weeks. I've priced it at £10 on Amazon hoping that will get it into the free p and p category. It is only £6.99 on CN but they will charge around £3 for postage so it will be similar delivered on both.
Cheers Dave, I'll get Mrs B to sort this out for me :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Moorcock.

Yes, but only one - absolutely staggeringly brilliant - book by him : Behold The Man.

It's amazing if anyone's not read it, very short - for a novel - but riveting.
It tells the tale of a time-traveller who goes back to find out if the story of Jesus as depicted in the bible really is true.

I'll say no more for fear of spoilers, but it really makes you think :D

Didn't he write lyrics/perform in Hawkwind for a while, too ??

Michael Moorcock, I mean .. not Jesus ;)
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

I'm just re-reading Behold The Man funnily enough. I got into him when I was a lot younger with the Elric books but fell heavily for him with the Jerry Cornelius series (I was even in a band called Mr Cornelius for a while), Von Bek, Mother London, Gloriana ...

And yes he wrote and performed with Hawkwind. He also wrote with Blue Oyster Cult and even had his own band.
Deleted User 728

I'm amazed there's not been a new, more political version of the song "Don't Fear The Reaper" yet, maybe with an anti-IS lyric ..
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

rigger wrote:I'm amazed there's not been a new, more political version of the song "Don't Fear The Reaper" yet, maybe with an anti-IS lyric ..
As it is it could be a recruitment song for a death cult like IS.