Meeting Famous People ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Deleted User 728

Re: Meeting Famous People ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Alice Cooper was playing a show here about twenty years ago and he came in to the jean shop I was managing at the time to buy a pair of skintight black Lee Phoenix (size 30 I think - he was tiny) but it was when I was on lunch.
The dopey girl that I worked with didn't think to call me out - I was eating a sandwich out back - as her boyfriend was in and she was all starry-eyed.

.. I was pretty irate to say the least !

I'm not a big fan, but he's a legend and a very nice guy by all accounts so it would've been fun to meet him.

She showed me the credit card receipt to prove it though :wtf:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Actually played table tennis against Howard Wilkinson while he was our manager.

A new sports centre was opened in the area at a local high school (Barlby HIgh, BB will know where it is) and various local sports where asked to do a demo on opening day to introduce it to the locals.

Myself and a team mate from our Selby League team were available so went along to do our bit.

Well two Yorkshire celebrities were invited by the local council to open the place officially, was delighted to see Howard been one of them and the other was Rugby star Ellery Hanley.

They were given a tour of the various sports and when they reached our section both fancied having a go. So we played a doubles and I got partnered with Ellery while my mate played with Howard. I know the memory can play tricks but I'm sure we won. ;) :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

One I forgot. I was playing golf at Shooters Hill in London (Greenwich) and the celebrity guest was Kenny Lynch. At the end of the day the hosts asked me if I would give Kenny a lift as he lived in Henley which is only about 10 miles from Maidenhead. I gave him a lift and he insisted that I drop him at Maidenhead train station where he could get the train to Henley. I offered to drive him all the way but he wouldn't hear of it. Very nice guy and we had a good natter about National Service days etc., during the hour long drive.
I once played against Don Revie.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Being in the catering/hospitality sector for over 30 years and working in London for over 20 I’ve met a fair few and chatted with a lot, here is a list of those that I remember for being really friendly, down to earth and not at all up themselves.

Prince Harry, cooked him lunch and he came into the kitchen to thank me, a great honour and he’s a top man.
Sir Christopher Lee, a member at a gentleman’s club I was Head Chef at, always popped in the kitchen for a chat, lovely bloke.
Debbie Harry, I cooked for her more than once.
All of the original line up of Take That, I cooked for them and shared a shower with them as they were filming a video in the hotel gym.
Siouxsie Sioux and Budgie, cooked for them and got given a signed gold disc as a thank you.
Ian Wright, cooked a full on buffet for the christening of his youngest. Also met Shaun and Bradley as they were still at school at the time, other guests included Dennis Bergkamp, Dion Dublin, Paul Merson,Mark Bright and David Seaman, a great night.

I’ve shared a beer and a chat with, Sir Gary Sobers, Brian Clough, Cas Pennant, Steve Bruce, Ralph Inneson, Frank Worthington, Bobby Charlton, Nobby Styles, Sean Bean, Bruce Forsyth and Jimmy Tarbuck.

Cooked lunch /dinner for, and been asked into the restaurant to be thanked by, Stephen Fry, Micheal Palin, Kenny Jomes, Timothy Spall Robert Hardy and Mike Leigh.
I used to see Noel Gallagher a couple of times a week on my way to work and that materialised into the “morning mate” conversation.
Jeff Beck was a regular in a pub I used to work in many years ago and he now lives 2 miles away from where I live now.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk