Strange Facts - Who would have thought it ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Strange Facts - Who would have thought it ?

Post by johnh »

I once got changed in the home dressing room of the main stand that got burned down in 1956. It was 1953 and my first evening training session with Leeds United Colts. Can't be many of us left.
I once played against Don Revie.
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

I thought I had read that Geoffrey Boycott had played for Leeds United at some point, but not the first team. According to his Wiki page he played alongside Billy Bremner in the Under-18's.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

arfa wrote:I thought I had read that Geoffrey Boycott had played for Leeds United at some point, but not the first team. According to his Wiki page he played alongside Billy Bremner in the Under-18's.
Both the legend that is Brian Close & Jonny Bairstow played at Leeds in the academy. Geoff did indeed play for Leeds. You have to remember a lot of guys played cricket in the summer and football in the winter. Probably the most famous man to do this was Dennis Compton who made 54 appearances for Arsenal. However it was neither sport that made huge money for Compton he was the star man for Brylcreem where he advertised the product in the 1940-50’s.

Jonny Bairstow at the academy

Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

You can add Geoff Cope to the above list ^ for those that don’t know Geoff ( now YCCC President) had problems with his sight he’s now a registered blind person. Regularly seen at games with his guide dog he has time for anyone that wants a chat, lovely guy. Geoff Boycotts footballing career ended as well due to eyesight problems, sadly for him he played pre contact lenses days.
Winner of the Europa League