Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Feed the birds

Post by ChilwellWhite »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Bought some new feeders yesterday and bird seed will sort it out next week and hopefully start attracting birds in the autumn.
Filled the feeders now we wait.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Bought some new feeders yesterday and bird seed will sort it out next week and hopefully start attracting birds in the autumn.
had to take our feeders and nest boxes down a couple of years ago because of our cats. Tried everything collars with bells etc but one of them especially must be a Ninja cat.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We had a large flock of swift’s again last night circa 20 which armed with a cool glass of Sauvignon kept me amused for half an hour. Still no House Martins they’re clearly giving us a miss this year, sadly.
Winner of the Europa League
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

We had a flock of perhaps 100 fly over last night and hover around the field next to us. Have never seen more than 6 or 8 together.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

ChilwellWhite wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 11:31
We’ve so far had a great tit, blue tit, blackbird, sparrows and a couple of goldfinches. Our neighbour was telling us he’s had a regular bullfinch I’d love to see that especially as it’s a male apparently.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Davycc wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 09:06 Not really the place here bit it is bird related. I've a pair of Conures one of which the female is around 12 years old and the male just over 4. She used to breed every year with her last partner but he died about 5 years ago. I got a young male 4 years ago as they love company. Had thought she was now too old to breed as there's been nothing but last week I heard the unmistakable goings on coming from their box. Today I was able to check while they were both out of the box, 4 eggs in there ATM usually stops around 6.

Bit concerned with her age but shes seems to be doing fine.
1st egg hatched today.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Was up early this morning and had a walk around our local nature reserve at Attenborough a place where you normally have to fight your way through ducks, Canada geese and swans this morning next to nothing there. They’ve had a break out of avian flu and apparently are suffering massive losses in the reserve bird life. It was really eerie and sad at the same time. It’s a lovely place where at the time I visited there would be a cacophony of bird song.

ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

It isn’t just the above there’s a distinct lack of birds in our garden at the moment. I can sit in my chair on a sunny day and see up to 4 buzzards circling around riding the thermals even they aren’t putting in a performance at the moment. We do get a lot of pleasure from this and are missing our feathered friends.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The youngest daughter has just sent a video of a Red Kite circling her house on the family WhatsApp lucky her.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 11:45 The youngest daughter has just sent a video of a Red Kite circling her house on the family WhatsApp lucky her.
There are large amounts of Red Kites across areas such as Berkshire especially around an area called Christmas Common. Also I remember on holiday in Wales we went to a feeding station outside Aberystwyth where over a hundred birds came to feed, spectacular stuff.