2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

mshnd06 wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 23:15 Also, I'd like to quibble a bit with SW. While I agree that there are examples of enormously successful 30+ aged players, they are, as shown by your examples, to be almost exclusively elite talents to begin with. It's easier to weather the decline of athleticism that accompanies age if you are also technically and tactically elite. Peripheral players often have less of these mitigating qualities. I don't think it is unreasonable to say that Ayling, Klich, Forshaw, Dallas, much as I love them, are more likely to descend to the level of squad player post-30 than the likes of Vardy, Ronaldo, etc...
Yes I took my examples from the top of the Premier scoring lists so as you say I used elite players and you are correct in what you say (lose 10% off their play and its still good enough but not necessary so with a player of lesser ability that has done well to reach the level).

However I stand by my point that 30 is a mythical number in the mind of some fans mind with no factual evidence. I accept certain things decline but others are stronger at that age and they are lots of factors involved such as conditioning, diet, injury history, etc.
I've done quite a bit of work in sports science looking at various sports and different areas of fitness such stamina (cardio), power/strength, flexibility, muscular endurance, reflex & reaction, etc all of which have their peaks at different ages.
Different Sports or even different positions on a football field require all areas to be good but some better than others. Extreme example is a long distance runner would base their training on areas different to a Sprinter.
Of course experience also comes into the calculation but in reality to add an opinion a striker may peak around 26 where a CB maybe nearer 30.

Anyway I could discuss the subject and write a book as long as war and peace on it but the bottom line is our coaching staff will be testing and monitoring all areas of every player and will be first to know when decline accelerates.

A interesting fact to ponder -
1. 102 players older than our oldest Klich played for Premier Clubs last season.

Not checked in full detail I believe we were the only Club not to use a player born in the 80's (Klich was born in 1990).

Age and Sport really is a subject of its own and of course you can't beat it but the younger players need to push the older ones out by performance not just because they are younger.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

Truly excellent and fascinating reply. Thank you for sharing a bit of your expertise
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

HalifaxWhite wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 21:03 I think the previous poster was saying Klich doesn't fit the deep role not that he isn't fit.
Yes reading it again think you are correct he's more a up and down man IMHO, actually see Adams as similar but could be wrong.
For me our main holding players are Forshaw & Roca.
awost1
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by awost1 »

Adams is 100% a holding player. He has also played right back. He is definitely not a box to box creative guy.
The Fonz

Post by The Fonz »

awost1 wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 15:05 Adams is 100% a holding player. He has also played right back. He is definitely not a box to box creative guy.
Thanks for clarifying as I did say could be wrong as know little about him and based my statement on a first impression watching him in pre-season, he seemed to like to get forward.
West beach white
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by West beach white »

ChilwellWhite wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 09:50 So far according to NW’s closed transfer thread we’ve got 7 players in and 13 out either transfers, loans or contract expiry. Hard to keep up with things at the moment. Still no news on Casilla or Costa do we know if they’re even in the country ?
Confirmation that costa is in the country and training with the 1st team group , he appears very briefly in the latest training video on lutv
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Paper talk that we are back in for Che Adams, for me personally disappointing given some of names we have been linked with. 7 goals in 30 last season.
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

The Fonz wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 14:53
HalifaxWhite wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 21:03 I think the previous poster was saying Klich doesn't fit the deep role not that he isn't fit.
Yes reading it again think you are correct he's more a up and down man IMHO, actually see Adams as similar but could be wrong.
For me our main holding players are Forshaw & Roca.
Yes, sorry for being a bit unclear. I dont question Klich fitness, i just question where he really fits into this team positional and skill wise.
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

blackbox2342 wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 06:29 Paper talk that we are back in for Che Adams, for me personally disappointing given some of names we have been linked with. 7 goals in 30 last season.
From what we have seen so far in pre season it seems like Jesse wants us to play a 4-2-3-1 variant which means only on striker on the pitch in most games. With Bamford and Geldhardt we are covered pretty well, and a new striker is more likely to be third choice than first choice. I think therefore it does sounds reasonable to go for a player that is:
- kind of proven on this level
- not to expensive
- not in a position to be expecting to start every game
- not a young player needing a lot of game time to improve
- able to cover several front positions in injury crisis

If Adams is available for around 10m as is reported now that is a good choice for a striker cover in my opinion. It should be a kind of a low risk deal, while for example Ben Brereton is a deal with much higher risk given he’s not been playing on this level and only really have half a season with incredible stats and the rest of his career looks mediocre. Adams has more experience and have delivered two seasons now with close to 10 goals on this level.
If I had to pick I would pick Adams over Brereton.

But in the end it won’t matter much, because Joffy will be our main man.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... eds-united

Leeds United and Kiko Casilla have parted company by mutual consent.

We would like to thank Kiko for his contributions during his time at the club and we wish him well in the future.