All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Here I am Round 6

Post by Sniffer »

Davycc wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 10:00 Any questions re the clues fire away.
Clues
1. Could MC hammer be one of his tools? Stanley tools company?
2. Harry Belafonte sang of a lovely place, whilst the same land feature this place wouldn't have the same weather. Possibly Georgia but didn't see that before
3. Did Coogan rest on his laurels or did he do anything else? Steve Coogan's Laurel & Hardy biopic
4. Many a national league team would have the Champagne on ice waiting to win this trophy but it's just not cricket. Or football for that matter. Don't know
5. Go south young man said a 30s song. Didn't realise it was that far south. :lol:
6. Lendl maybe wasn’t as big a tennis star as Borg but I loved to watch Ivan slam the ball down the line. Guessed it was an anagram - got San Vilam. :roll:
7. Tawny or Ruby I wonder which one Ollies mate preferred? Guessed it was a port but I was miles away.
8. Would this namesake presume he met a famous Doctor? Henry Morton Stanley meeting Dr Livingstone. I presume.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sniffer wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 11:23
Davycc wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 10:00 Any questions re the clues fire away.
Clues
1. Could MC hammer be one of his tools? Stanley tools company?
2. Harry Belafonte sang of a lovely place, whilst the same land feature this place wouldn't have the same weather. Possibly Georgia but didn't see that beforeIsland In The Sun
3. Did Coogan rest on his laurels or did he do anything else? Steve Coogan's Laurel & Hardy biopic
4. Many a national league team would have the Champagne on ice waiting to win this trophy but it's just not cricket. Or football for that matter. Don't know The Stanley Cup Ice Hockey
5. Go south young man said a 30s song. Didn't realise it was that far south. :lol:
6. Lendl maybe wasn’t as big a tennis star as Borg but I loved to watch Ivan slam the ball down the line. Guessed it was an anagram - got San Vilam. :roll:
7. Tawny or Ruby I wonder which one Ollies mate preferred? Guessed it was a port but I was miles away.
8. Would this namesake presume he met a famous Doctor? Henry Morton Stanley meeting Dr Livingstone. I presume.
The more we do this the more my warped brain will be sussed :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

I was too fixated on Stan Laurel so I was looking around Ulverston, Glasgow, Santa Monica etc.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Clues 2 3 & 4 helped me get it.

From the song which refers to a hot island suspected a cold island.
Coogan's Bluff I have in my Clint Eastwood film collection.
Only trophy I thought of was a Stanley.
Knew Bluff Cove and Port Stanley were Falklands but missed it on my first scan of the area.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 06:53 Clues 2 3 & 4 helped me get it.

Knew Bluff Cove and Port Stanley were Falklands but missed it on my first scan of the area.
I thought Coogan's Bluff at first. It's a ridge overlooking a New York baseball ground (I think). The team that played there relocated to San Fransisco (go south, young man). Too many, probably unintentional, red herrings for me.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sniffer wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 07:03
Selby White wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 06:53 Clues 2 3 & 4 helped me get it.

I thought Coogan's Bluff at first. It's a ridge overlooking a New York baseball ground (I think). The team that played there relocated to San Fransisco (go south, young man). Too many, probably unintentional, red herrings for me.
Totally unintentional :D The Coogan reference was actually Steve Coogan's portrayal of Stanley Laurel in the 2018 film Stan and Ollie.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

As some of you know I do a charity version and mentioned that the next one will be after Friday 12th Aug. Well due to being away from the following Monday and possibly not having a wifi connection I'm going to run the Charity one sooner.

Each month after payday I try to give a little to a couple of charities and was going to donate to a third but I couldn't choose between several hence the quiz and the winner picking the charity of their choice. So come on peeps lets get some more players. Minimum £10 to the winners charity of choice. Watch out fro the new round starting very soon.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders