2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The last Waltz
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by The last Waltz »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 16:25 This might be an unpopular view but whilst Patrick Bamford is, and always will be, one of the heroes that got us to the Promised Land, we can't carry on month after month waiting for him to get back to full fitness and firing on all cylinders. He hardly played at all last season and he's started this season - yes I know it's only two games! - as if he is as fragile as a fragile thing. Perhaps we might be lucky if he clocks up more that 20 games this season. Joffy is worryingly injured again

IMHO we need to be looking for a first choice No. 9 striker now and not wait until the next Transfer Window or the one next Summer
First season he was injured and ‘***, second season injury free but still largely ‘**f,’ touch and go wether him or Robert’s was the better option. He was a revelation in season 3 in terms of general play and in front of goal. Last season injured.

Bottom line he’s hardly prolific, was most peoples second choice to roofe. We all believed he needed replacing when we got protected & therefore it’s high time we recruited a better option up top.
Moderator Message:
Suggest you read the posting etiquette of the forum in particular the bit about name calling of players and staff.
- Selby White
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

brayster1972 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 11:22 Does seem like Bamford is done. Although, would the club persist with him if they knew he was. I’m certain they want to avoid a repeat do last season, although we are more likely. To be bottom half than top half.

A natural goal scorer who stays fit, bad luck aside, is essential now. We can’t rely on three teams being worse than us again - as right now, with the goals of a natural striker to support Rodrigo - there aren’t three that are worse…..
Does seem like Bamford is done? What? His career is over??
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

brayster1972 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 11:22 Does seem like Bamford is done. Although, would the club persist with him if they knew he was. I’m certain they want to avoid a repeat do last season, although we are more likely. To be bottom half than top half.

A natural goal scorer who stays fit, bad luck aside, is essential now. We can’t rely on three teams being worse than us again - as right now, with the goals of a natural striker to support Rodrigo - there aren’t three that are worse…..
Not sure Patrick Bamford is "done" exactly. He has had dreadful luck with the strange injury last season which no one could properly get to the bottom of. He was thus injured for an indefinite period and it really was not certain if the player or the club was convincing that the recovery was complete when he came back. Anyhow, he got injured again and that was the season end for him, and us, sadly.
This new season, he's come back. It is only a couple of games in but I didn't see a player that was full of beans and raring to go. Actually, he looked worried, rusty not looking confident and trying to ease himself up to speed and now he is injured again. There is a question mark as to whether he is fully recovered from whatever ailed him last season.
So considering he is missing injured again my point was that we can't afford to keep waiting for PM to be available and fully fit. Take the pressure off him and give him the time and space to fully recover but in the meantime look towards bringing in an accomplished striker to replace him for now or even in the long term. All we have as alternatives is Joffy, young and seemingly prone to niggly injuries and that's it. That is a ridiculous state of affairs and needs addressing
Keep The Faith / WAL
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

I think Rodrigo plays better upfront. He’s not a number 10. I was impressed by both his goals because they were poachers goals.I don’t think Paddy is a goal scorer in the same way, he’s not clinical. He adds other things and is a great support player.

I don’t think it was an accident that when Paddy went off, he played much better. He’s got Jack and Brenden to do all the work. He can concentrate on goals.it might work better with Rodrigo.
brayster1972
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by brayster1972 »

It terms of “done” I mean maybe not career wise but he can’t be relied upon to be rushed back by the club. Seems whatever his issue is it’s tricky to heal. Also some players pick up fresh injury when they return that may be related to their last one or their recovery. Is he injury prone? Yes. Can Leeds rely upon him? Right now, no. Should a first choice striker be brought in - absolutely yes. Could this mean Bamford is done….

Ask yourself - if you were in the market to sign a striker, would you sign Bamford right now??
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

brayster1972 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 14:32 It terms of “done” I mean maybe not career wise but he can’t be relied upon to be rushed back by the club. Seems whatever his issue is it’s tricky to heal. Also some players pick up fresh injury when they return that may be related to their last one or their recovery. Is he injury prone? Yes. Can Leeds rely upon him? Right now, no. Should a first choice striker be brought in - absolutely yes. Could this mean Bamford is done….

Ask yourself - if you were in the market to sign a striker, would you sign Bamford right now??
No one here needs to 'ask their self' anything, we're all acutely aware he has injury issues and isn't exactly reliable at this stage.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

brayster1972 wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 14:32 It terms of “done” I mean maybe not career wise but he can’t be relied upon to be rushed back by the club. Seems whatever his issue is it’s tricky to heal. Also some players pick up fresh injury when they return that may be related to their last one or their recovery. Is he injury prone? Yes. Can Leeds rely upon him? Right now, no. Should a first choice striker be brought in - absolutely yes. Could this mean Bamford is done….
No I wouldn't sign him. He's injured! :lol:
Keep The Faith / WAL
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Tedbaker wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 13:54 I think Rodrigo plays better upfront. He’s not a number 10. I was impressed by both his goals because they were poachers goals.I don’t think Paddy is a goal scorer in the same way, he’s not clinical. He adds other things and is a great support player.
I don’t think it was an accident that when Paddy went off, he played much better. He’s got Jack and Brenden to do all the work. He can concentrate on goals.it might work better with Rodrigo.
That's an interesting opinion but I have a differing view.
Sure Rodrigo has 3 goals in two games to show this season. However, his strike record previously since he has been at Leeds is very ordinary to say the least. Also, he was variously tried up front by Marcelo Bielsa and it never worked out. Also, I don't Rodrigo is not going to sustain that strike rate of the first two games or anything remotely close to it.
As for Patrick Bamford his strike rate has been none too shabby - 16 goals in 2019/2020 in the Championship and 17 goals in the Premiership the following season. What you also get from a fit Patrick Bamford is a hell of a lot of graft along the front line. That secondary part is negligible where Rodrigo is concerned.
So, for me PB would be preferred striker to Rodrigo :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

A new player link, I've not seen this one before.
Leeds United are said to be arrogant in the race to sign FC Zurich striker Wilfried Gnonto this summer, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.

The Italian journalist for Sky Sports has reported that a multi-million deal is being worked on between the two clubs which could be worth up to £4.2million.

The 18-year-old made 33 appearances last season in Switzerland, scoring nine goals and adding three assists as he started to make a name for himself around Europe
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

blackbox2342 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 06:30 A new player link, I've not seen this one before.
Leeds United are said to be arrogant in the race to sign FC Zurich striker Wilfried Gnonto this summer, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.

The Italian journalist for Sky Sports has reported that a multi-million deal is being worked on between the two clubs which could be worth up to £4.2million.

The 18-year-old made 33 appearances last season in Switzerland, scoring nine goals and adding three assists as he started to make a name for himself around Europe
Uhh he is 1.7m tall. Need so much talent to be succesfull in PL being that short striker.